Peugeot 208 4-Door
|Assembly||Poissy, France (Poissy Plant)
Mulhouse, France (Mulhouse Plant)
Trnava, Slovakia (Trnava Plant)
Porto Real, Brazil (Peugeot Brazil),
Kulim, Malaysia (Nasim Sdn Bhd)
Jakarta, Indonesia (Gaya Motor)
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||3-door hatchback
|Platform||PSA PF1 platform|
Citroën C4 Cactus
|Engine||1.0 L I3 (petrol)
1.2 L I3 (petrol)
1.4 L I4 (petrol)
1.6 L I4 (petrol)
1.4 L I4 (diesel)
1.6 L I4 (diesel)
|Transmission||5- and 6-speed manual
|Wheelbase||2,538 mm (99.9 in)|
|Length||3,962 mm (156.0 in)|
|Width||1,739 mm (68.5 in) (ex mirrors)|
|Height||1,460 mm (57.5 in)|
|Curb weight||975–1,295 kg (2,150–2,855 lb)|
The Peugeot 208 is a supermini car (B-segment) produced by the French automaker Peugeot and unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2012. The first 208 models were three door hatchbacks produced in 2011 at the company's new plant in Slovakia. In June 2012, as five door hatchbacks became available, production of the 208 also commenced at Peugeot's French plants at Mulhouse and at Poissy.
Specification and design
The 208, developed under code name "A9", is built on the PSA PF1 platform and the weight is to be reduced by 173 kg (110 kg on average) compared with the 207 and still offer more space than the predecessor. The boot offers 285 L (10 cu ft) (VDA) of space, 15 L (1 cu ft) more than the 207, and the leg room in the rear seat increases 5 cm (2 in). The design was led by Pierre Authier, with Sylvain Henry as exterior designer.
The interior design is by Adam Bazydlo and the colour and trim is by Marie Sanou. The car will feature a tablet computer-like screen and panoramic glass roof surrounded by LED lights. The car is relatively aerodynamic with a drag coefficient, Cd, of 0.29.
All the petrol engines comply with the Euro 5 norm and the diesel engines have CO2-emissions of 99 g/km or lower. In addition to the four-cylinder petrol engines carried over from the previous model, from September 2012 the 208 has been offered with two new three-cylinder units with variable valve timing – the 1.0 VTi (68 hp) and 1.2 VTi (82 hp). The 1.0 comes with an advertised fuel consumption of 4.3 L/100 km (66 mpg-imp; 55 mpg-US) and a CO2 emissions value of 99 g/km.
The 208 GTI is fitted with a 1.6-litre turbo (1598 cc) four-cylinder in-line turbo petrol Prince engine producing 197 bhp @ 5,800 rpm and 203 lb ft @ 1,700 rpm, and is fitted with a six-speed manual transmission. The GTI's Prince engine is shared with the Mini and various Citroëns.
The range of diesel units starts with the four-cylinder 1.4 e-HDi unit, originally introduced in 2010 for the 207, which provides 50 kW (68 PS; 67 hp) of power coupled, in the 208, with published fuel economy and emission figures of 3.4 L/100 km (83 mpg-imp; 69 mpg-US) and 87 g/km.
208 T16 Pikes Peak
In April 2013, a 208 T16 was tested by Sébastien Loeb at Mont Ventoux. Loosely based on the shape and design of the production 208, the T16 is a lightweight 875 kg (1,929 lb) vehicle that uses the rear wing from the Peugeot 908, and has a 3.2-litre, twin-turbo V6 engine, developing 875 bhp (652 kW; 887 PS) with the aim of competing at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. At Pikes Peak on 30 June 2013, Sébastien Loeb used the 208 T16 to break Rhys Millen's record time, set in 2012 on the first fully paved roads in the history of the competition. The previous record of 9:46.164 was shattered, and a new record time of 8:13.878 was set.
Sales and production
Peugeot announced the 300,000th 208 was produced in February 2013.
|Year||Worldwide production||Worldwide sales||Notes|
|2012||242,900||220,800||Total production reaches 243,600 units.|
|2013||333,800||334,439||Total production reaches 577,400 units.|
- Peugeot 208 GTi
- "Professional MBA Automotive Industry: Factory visit and workshop at PSA Peugeot Citroën in Trnava". tuwien.ac.at.
- "Avec la 208 PSA Mulhouse voit la vie en rose". La Tribune.
- "Peugeot 208 Arrives in Europe Next Spring". Inside Line. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Dinside.no Norwegian
- "New Peugeot 208 on sale next summer" by motoring.co.uk. Visited 2011-11-22
- 2012 Peugeot 208 Design Details by newcarspec.com 2011-11-16 visited 2011-11-22.
- English, Andrew (4 April 2013). "Peugeot 208 GTi review". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- tv2.no Norwegian
- Autosport. 23 April 2013 http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107020. Missing or empty
- "Sébastien Loeb breaks Rhys Millen's time at Pikes Peak". Pikes Peak International Hill CLimb. PPIHC. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Sébastien Loeb breaks record". Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Jonathon Ramsey. "Sebastien Loeb demolishes Pikes Peak record with an 8:13.878 [UPDATE: w/video]". Autoblog.
- "875bhp twin-turbo Peugeot 208 T16". Autocar. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Peugeot produces its 300 000th 208". Peugeot. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "PSA Annual Report 2012" (PDF). Car manufacturers. PSA. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Memento Mars 2013" (in French). PSA Peugeot Citroën. February 2013. p. 50. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Memento Mars 2014" (in French). PSA Peugeot Citroën. 2014-03. p. 54,63. Retrieved 2014-09-26. Check date values in:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peugeot 208.|
Citroën DS3 WRC
Rally Car of the Year
Volkswagen Polo R WRC
|« previous — Peugeot, a marque of PSA Peugeot Citroën since 1976, road vehicle timeline, 1980s–present|
|Small family car||305||301|
|Large family car||504||405||406||407||508|
|Coupé||406 Coupé||407 Coupé|
|Convertible||205 Cabriolet||206 CC||207 CC|
|306 Cabriolet||307 CC||308 CC|