Toyota Peugeot Citroën Automobile Czech
|Type||Private joint venture|
|Headquarters||Kolín, Czech Republic|
|Owners||Toyota Motor Corporation (50%)
PSA Peugeot Citroën (50%)
Toyota Peugeot Citroën Automobile Czech (TPCA) is an automobile manufacturing company in Kolín, Czech Republic. It is a joint venture between Toyota Motor Corporation of Japan and PSA Peugeot Citroën of France. It manufactures Toyota, Peugeot and Citroën models for sale in Czech Republic. TPCA produces small cars mainly for the European market. Production started in February 2005, though the official opening ceremony was not until June.
The company produces three cars that are, in essence, the same but badge engineered: the Citroën C1, Peugeot 107 and Toyota Aygo. These cars share the vast majority of parts with only small cosmetic alterations.
In 2014, the next generation models were launched, with Citroën and Toyota retaining their existing model names, and Peugeot naming their new version the 108. The second generation joint venture still shares many key components, but there are more visual differences between the different marques.
Criticism by French President Nicolas Sarkozy
Nicolas Sarkozy, once referred to as the "Saviour of Free Trade and Competition" and a "Champion of Europe", referred to the plant in a televised speech against free trade within the European Union:
(Translated from French)
"I want us to stop the relocation ... To create a factory in India to sell Renault in India is justified, but to create a factory in the Czech Republic to sell cars in France is not justified".
In January 2010, Toyota announced a worldwide recall on several of their vehicles for a faulty sticking accelerator pedal - in which the Aygo is affected. Under certain circumstances, the pedal can stick in a partially depressed position, or return slowly to the off position. PSA Peugeot Citroën followed suit, announcing a recall of "under 100,000 units" of the Citroën C1 and the Peugeot 107 for the same issue. New information from Toyota has suggested, however, that only Aygos and Peugeot 107s with Aisin Ez-drive automated manual gearboxes (Multi-mode/2-Tronic) are affected, and that those with manual gearboxes are not.
- Comité des Constructeurs Français d’Automobiles, M. SARKOZY ANNONCE LA SUPPRESSION DE LA TAXE PROFESSIONNELLE, 6. February 2009, CCFA quoted Sarkozy as follows: "Je veux qu’on arrete les délocalisations et que, si possible, on relocalise. Qu’on crée une usine en Inde pour vendre des Renault aux Indiens est justifié, mais qu’on crée une usine en Tchéquie pour vendre des voitures en France, ce n’est pas justifié"
- Wolfgang Münchau, Narrow-minded leadership hurts Europe, Financial Times, 15 February 2009, the translation published in FT is as follows: "It is justifiable if a factory of Renault is built in India so that Renault cars may be sold to the Indians. But it is not justifiable if a factory ... is built in the Czech Republic and its cars are sold in France"
- "New Citroen C1 review". Auto Express. 19 June 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Peugeot follows Toyota in Car Recall". BBC News. 2010-01-30. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- Toyota UK Accelerator Pedal Recall
- "Toyota, PSA Christen JV Plant". WardsAuto. Archived from the original on October 27, 2005. Retrieved June 8, 2005.