Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
|Rail Coach Factory|
Established in 1986, RCF is a coach manufacturing unit of Indian Railways. It has manufactured more than 30000 passenger coaches of different types including Self Propelled passenger vehicles which constitute over 50% of the total population of coaches on Indian Railways.
Some of them are:
- 1st AC Sleeper Coach (BG)
- 2 Tier AC Sleeper Coach (BG, MG)
- 3 Tier AC Sleeper Coach (BG)
- AC (Air-Conditioned) Inspection Coach (BG)
- AC Chair Car, Executive Class & Economy Class (BG, MG)
- AC Buffet Car (BG)
- AC Power Car (BG)
- MG Diesel Electrical Multiple Units
- Main Line Electrical Multiple Units (BG)
- Non-AC Sleeper Class Day Coach (BG)
- Non-AC General Coach (BG/MG)
- Non-AC Luggage-cum-Brake Van (BG/MG)
- Refrigerated Parcel Van (BG)
- Non AC Inspection Coach (BG)
- High Capacity Parcel Van (BG)
- Accident Relief Train (BG)
- Post Office Coach (BG)
- Coaching Container Flats (BG)
- Double Decker Coach (BG)
- Non-AC Day Coach (BG)
This output constitutes over 35% of the total population of coaches on Indian Railways. The Rail Coach Factory (RCF) has produced record number of coaches in the financial year 2013-14, as it reached the mark of 1701 coaches against installed capacity of 1500 per annum. During the year RCF produced 23 different variants of coaches for high-speed trains like Rajdhani, Shatabdi, double decker and other trains. The factory in association with DRDE also developed a highly cost-effective indigenous technology for treatment of bio waste in coaches. Around 2096 bio-toilets have been fitted in 2013-14.
1. Broad Gauge Air Conditioned
1.1 AC Sleeper (AC First, AC-2 Tier, AC-3 Tier)
1.2 AC Chair Car (Executive Class, Second AC)
2. Broad Gauge Non Air Conditioned
2.1 General Second Class Seating
2.2 General Second Sleeper
2.3 General Second Class Day Coach
2.4 General Second Class With Luggage Rack and Guard’s Compartment
2.5 General Second Class With Disabled Compartment and Guard’s Compartment
2.6 Power Cars
3. Stainless Steel BG Coaches
3.1 AC Sleeper (AC First, AC-2 Tier, AC-3 Tier)
3.2 AC Chair Car (Executive Class, Second AC) 3.3 AC Pantry Car 3.4 General Second Class Seating 3.5 General Second Sleeper 3.6 General Second Class With Luggage Rack and Guard’s Compartment
4. Meter Gauge Air Conditioned Coaches
4.1 AC Sleeper (AC First, AC-2 Tier, AC-3 Tier)
4.2 AC Chair Car (Executive Class, Second AC) 4.3 General Second Class Seating 4.4 General Second Class With Luggage Rack and Guard’s Compartment 5. Self Propelled Coaches
5.1 Accident Relief Train
5.2 Mailline Electric Multiple Unit 5.3 Mainline Diesel Multiple Unit 5.4 Meter Gauge Diesel Multiple Unit 6. Special Purpose Coaches
6.1 RA Coaches
6.2 Parcel Vans 6.3 Refrigrated Parcel Vans 6.4 Postal Vans
A 65-bed Hospital supplies free medicine and free check-up to railway staff and their family members.
The township has two Kendriya Vidhyalaya's, one Government Elementary School (Punjabi medium), one Government Senior Secondary School (Punjabi medium), two Jack 'N' Jill schools run by RCF Women's Welfare Organization, of which one handles up to UKG and other up to 6th Standard.
A Lake complex in with boating channel and a park in the memory of martyr of War of Kargil in 1971, which have 'Lakshman Jhula' tied with metal ropes between two hills. Apart from these it has stadiums and courts for indoor and outdoor games.
The township also has Shopping complexes, Banks, Post office, Staff canteen, Karamchari Kalyan Kosh,[a] Handicraft Centre, Creche and a RCF/WWO–run Computer Centre.
- Karamchari Kalyan Kosh is a scheme to provide immediate financial help to the family of employees, who expires in service. Under this scheme, all staff including officers are covered and immediate help is provided to the aggrieved family. 15 (24¢ US) as subscription is being deducted from the salary. A sum of 56,500 (US$890) is paid to the family of deceased employee.