Shafqat Amanat Ali
|Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan|
Shafqat Amanat Ali during Waves 2010,annual cultural fest of BITS Pilani-Goa
26 February 1965 |
|Genres||Rock music, Sufi, playback singing, Classical Music|
|Associated acts||Fuzön, The Dewarists, MTV Unplugged (India), Coke Studio|
Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan (Urdu: شفقت امانت علی; born 26 February 1965) is a Pakistani classical singer belonging to Patiala Gharana lineage. He is the youngest brother of the late Asad Amanat Ali Khan. He was the lead vocalist of the Pakistani rock band Fuzön. He was awarded the President's Pride of Performance civil award on 14 August 2007.
Early life and background
Shafqat Amanat Ali was born into a Muslim family in Lahore, Pakistan to Ustad Amanat Ali Khan, on 26 February 1965 making him the ninth generation of Patiala Gharana. He received his bachelor's degree from Government College University, Lahore (now known as GC University). He received the roll of honour from the Music Society of Government College University, Lahore, which is led by Tariq Farani.
He started learning classical music at age four, his grandmother being his first teacher. His main influences in music come from his father and his uncle Bade Fateh Ali Khan.
"Aankhon Ke Saagar," "Khamaj," "Ankhiyan" and "Mitwa" are some of his most popular works. He also sang the songs "Phir Wohi Raastey" and "Allah Megh De" for a Pakistani film named Ramchand Pakistani.
Shafqat was introduced to Bollywood by Shankar Mahadevan. One morning while driving to his studio, he heard Shafqat's hit song "Aankhon Ke Saagar" on the radio. He immediately called the radio jockey who was his friend and got Shafqat's contact number. Shafqat sang "Mitwa" composed by Shankar Ehsaan Loy for the movie Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. The song was listed in the top charts in India, helping propel Shafqat into stardom. He was the voice behind the critically acclaimed song "Yeh Honsla" [sic] in the Bollywood film Dor. He sang background for the films Hello and Mumbai Cutting. His songs "Mora Saiyaan" and "Tere Bina" were featured in Nagesh Kukunoor's Hyderabad Blues 2.
After leaving the band Fuzon in 2006, Shafqat concentrated on his solo career. Based on folk and Sufi works, the album Tabeer was commissioned and released by Music Today in mid-September 2008.
The album was released by Fire Records in Pakistan in September 2008 as their mega Eid release. The entire album has been produced, arranged, recorded, mixed and mastered in Pakistan by Shani Haider (Zeeshan Haider) at "Couple of Good Studios". All songs except "Naina" and "Tu hi tu hai" were composed by Shafqat. Naina was composed by Shani Haider.
The first video of the premier song of the album, "Khairheyan De Naal", was aired on all channels in India and Pakistan. He has fondly been nicknamed the "Rock star Ustad" by Saleem Merchant of the Saleem-Suleman duo. He also appeared on the Rubaroo episode of Indian Idol 4. He released his second solo album Kyun Dooriyan in 2010. It included a couple of songs — "Kaga Ja" and "Naal Naal" — which he had written during his time with Fuzon.
His vocals in the song "Dildaara" from the movie Ra.One fetched him a nomination for Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer for 2012. Recently he sang "Raske Bhare Tore Naina" for the 2013 movie Satyagraha starring Amitabh Bachchan, Ajay Devgn, Kareena Kapoor, Arjun Rampal and Manoj Bajpai in lead role. He was also featured on MTV Unplugged Season 2.
|2014||Manchala||Hasee Toh Phasee||Nupur Pant|
|Raske Bhare Tore Naina||Satyagraha||Arpita|
|Jera Vi||Main Hoon Shahid Afridi||None|
|Teri Jhuki Nazar||Murder 3||None|
|Tera Mera Naam||Akaash Vani||None|
|2012||Phir Le Aya Dil(Version 3)||Barfi!||None|
|Zindagi Se||Raaz 3D||None|
|Tu Hi Mera||Jannat 2||None|
|Party Nights||Jannat 2||KK, Nikhil D'Souza, Javed Ali & Anupam Amod|
|Darmiyaan||Jodi Breakers||Clinton Cerejo|
|2011||Dildaara||Ra.One||Vishal Dadlani, Shekhar Ravjiani, Clinton Cerejo|
|Chahi Hai Tanhaein||Love Breakups Zindagi||Shruti Pathak|
|Jaane Kyun(Sufi version)||Always Kabhi Kabhi||None|
|Kyun Mein Jagoon||Patiala House||None|
|Kyun Mein Jagoon (Remix)||Patiala House||None|
|Kyun Mein Jagoon (Reprise)||Patiala House||None|
|2010||Bin Tere||I Hate Luv Storys||Sunidhi Chauhan|
|Bin Tere(Remix)||I Hate Luv Storys||Sunidhi Chauhan|
|Tere Naina||My Name Is Khan||None|
|2009||Tum Mile(Rock)||Tum Mile||None|
|Allah Megh De||Ramchand Pakistani||Shubha Mudgal|
|Phir Wahi Raaste||Ramchand Pakistani||None|
|Tarrin Paunda||Ramchand Pakistani||None|
|Tishna Tishna Dil||Zindagi Tere Naam||Sunidhi Chauhan|
|2006||Yeh Honsla||Dor||Salim Merchant|
|Mitwa||Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna||Shankar Mahadevan, Caralisa Monteiro|
|Mitwa(Revisited)||Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna||Shankar Mahadevan, Caralisa Monteiro|
|2010||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||Imtehan Hai Imtehan||------|
|2010||Kyun Dooriyaan||Nominated for Mirchi Music Award 2011 in Best Indipop category|
|2009||2||Aankhon Kay Sagar||None|
|2009||5||Kuch Ajab Khail||None|
|2011||Kyan Haal Sunavaan||Shruti Pathak|
|2011||Aye Hari||Pankhi Dutta|
|2012||Let Go||Fin Greenall, Salim-Sulaiman|
|Aankhon Ke Saagar||None|
|Kyun Main Jaagoon||None|
Awards and nomination
Following are the awards and nominations for Shafqat Amanat Ali.
- Filmfare Awards
- BIG Star Entertainment Awards
- Pakistan Media Award
- 2011 – Nominated – Best Singer Male
- The Musik Awards
- 2008 – Won – Most Wanted Male
- Kazimi, M. R.; Kāẓmī, Muḥammad Raz̤ā (25 October 2007). Pakistan Studies. Oxford University Press. p. 251. ISBN 978-0-19-547229-5. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- [dead link]
- "i wish i could learn to play spanish guitar".
- "Youth in Pakistan want peace and respect". The Times Of India.
- "Shafqat in India to record songs".
- "The Shankar-Shafqat concert in Delhi". The Times Of India. 11 February 2011.
- "The voice behind Mitwa in KANK". Bollywoodhungama.com. 19 July 2006. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "Fuzon & Shafqat to Do Songs for Mumbai Cutting".
- "Mumbai cutting is one film with 11 stories".
- "I didn't get my due". The Times Of India. 6 March 2010.
- "Chords and Nodes". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 1 November 2008.
- "Mitwa man's first solo album".
- "Pak singer Shafqat launches new album in India".
- "Indian Idol".
- "Music review:Kyun Dooriyan(Shafqat Amanat Ali)".
- "Rahat, Shafqat jointly release ‘Imtehan Hai Imtehan’".
- "Famous Bollywood Singers visit Chak 89 – Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and Shafqat Amanat Ali".
- "What to expect from coke studio in India".
- "High On Coke".
- "It is good to experiment: Shafqat Amanat Ali".
- "Rahat Fateh Ali Khan Wins Best Playback Singer Award at 56th Filmfare Awards 2011".
- "I'm thrilled to be nominated for the IIFA Awards".
- "GIMA Awards 2011 announced".
- "Annual Global Indian Film Awards Nominations and Winners :". Bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- "Sky's the limit".
- Shafqat Amanat Ali Coke Studio Pakistan Songs Collection
- Shafqat Amanat Ali's artist profil on Danka
- Shafqat Amanat Ali at the Internet Movie Database
- Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan's Album Tabeer
- Filmfare Nominees and Winners