Mangrove Forests, Muthupet
Location in Tamil Nadu, India
|Talukas||Kudavasal, Mannargudi, Nannilam, Needamangalam, Thiruthuraipoondi, Thiruvarur, Valangaiman.|
|• Collector||S.Natarajan, IAS|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||[[ISO 3166-2:IN|]]|
Thiruvarur district is one of the 30 districts in the Tamil Nadu state of India. The district occupies an area of 2161 km². It lies between Nagapattinam district on the east and Thanjavur District on the west, and is bounded by the Palk Strait on the south. The district headquarters is at Thiruvarur town.
According to the 2011 census Thiruvarur district has a population of 1,268,094, roughly equal to the nation of Estonia or the US state of New Hampshire. This gives it a ranking of 382nd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 533 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,380 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 8.43%. Thiruvarur has a sex ratio of 1020 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 83.26%.
It was 20.29% urbanised in 2001.
The Thiruvarur district, along with the Nagapattinam district was part of the Thanjavur District before 1991. After that, the present Taluks of Thiruvarur district and Nagapattinam district were separated from the Thanjavur District, and formed the Nagapattinam district. The present Thiruvarur district was formed in 1997 by trifurcating the then Thanjavur District. Major towns are Thiruvarur, Thiruthuraipoondi, Nachikulam, Muthupettai, Mannargudi.
Thiruvarur district is made up of seven taluks:
- K. Balachander
- Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer
- Dhanraj Pillay
- Trinity of Carnatic music
- S. S. Vasan
- K. Anbazhagan
- T. R. Baalu
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Estonia 1,282,963 July 2011 est."
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "New Hampshire 1,316,470"
- census india
- Mohan, Gopu (5 April 2011). "Boyhood friend waits for CM to come home". The Financial Express. p. 3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tiruvarur (district).|