United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission
UNMOVIC was to replace the former United Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM) and continue with the latter's mandate to disarm Iraq of its weapons of mass destruction (WMDs), and to operate a system of ongoing monitoring and verification to check Iraq's compliance with its obligations not to reacquire the same weapons prohibited to it by the Security Council.
Following the mandate of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1441, The president of Iraq, Saddam Hussein, allowed UN inspectors to return to Iraq in November 2002. UNMOVIC led inspections of alleged chemical and biological facilities in Iraq until shortly before the U.S. invasion of Iraq in March 2003, but could not find any weapons of mass destruction because Saddam continually prevented UNMOVIC accessing to Iraq's WMD sites. This constituted a breach of UN Resolution 1441 which provided: "that Iraq shall provide UNMOVIC and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) immediate, unimpeded, unconditional, and unrestricted access to any and all, including underground, areas, facilities, buildings, equipment, records, and means of transport which they wish to inspect, as well as immediate, unimpeded, unrestricted, and private access to all officials and other persons whom UNMOVIC or the IAEA wish to interview in the mode or location of UNMOVIC’s or the IAEA’s choice pursuant to any aspect of their mandates".
The mandate of UNMOVIC was terminated on 29 June 2007.
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1284 S-RES-1284(1999) on 17 December 1999 (retrieved 2008-04-10)
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1441 S-RES-1441(2002) on 8 November 2002 (retrieved 2008-07-23)
- SECURITY COUNCIL HOLDS IRAQ IN ‘MATERIAL BREACH’ OF DISARMAMENT OBLIGATIONS, OFFERS FINAL CHANCE TO COMPLY, UNANIMOUSLY ADOPTING RESOLUTION 1441 (2002)
- "Hans Blix's briefing to the security council". The Guardian. 14 February 2003. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1762 S-RES-1762(2007) on 29 June 2007 (retrieved 2008-07-23)
- Iraq disarmament crisis 1990–2003
- UNMOVIC personnel: Hans Blix, Dimitris Perrikos, Corinne Heraud, Alexander Coker, Jack McGeorge