Modifier letter apostrophe
It is encoded at U+02BC ʼ MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE (HTML
In Unicode code charts it looks identical to the U+2019 ’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, but (unlike the U+2019, which has the "Punctuation, Final quote" (Pf) General Category) it has the "Letter, modifier" (Lm) General Category.
Although the Unicode standard versions 1.0–2.1.9 considered this character as the "preferred character for a punctuation apostrophe", versions since 3.0.0, including the current one, consider the U+2019 ’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK as the preferred character. There are reasoned objections to this decision, such as that English apostrophe is a part of a word.
- Unicode code charts. Unicode.org. Retrieved on 7 April 2013.
- The Unicode Standard, Version 1.0, v. 1, p. 173
- Unicode 2.1.9 NamesList-1.txt
- Unicode 3.0.0 NamesList-3.0.0.txt
- Current NamesList.txt
- Which Unicode character should represent the English apostrophe? (And why the Unicode committee is very wrong.)
- IDN Variant TLDs – Cyrillic Script Issues
|This writing system-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|