From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1451.
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||14th century · 15th century · 16th century|
|Decades:||1420s · 1430s · 1440s · 1450s · 1460s · 1470s · 1480s|
|Years:||1448 · 1449 · 1450 · 1451 · 1452 · 1453 · 1454|
|1451 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1451 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2204|
|English Regnal year||29 Hen. 6 – 30 Hen. 6|
|Chinese calendar||庚午年 (Metal Horse)
4147 or 4087
— to —
辛未年 (Metal Goat)
4148 or 4088
|- Vikram Samvat||1507–1508|
|- Shaka Samvat||1372–1373|
|- Kali Yuga||4551–4552|
|Japanese calendar||Hōtoku 3
|Minguo calendar||461 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1993–1994|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1451.|
- February 3 – Murad II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, dies and is succeeded by his son Mehmed II.
- February 14 – Louis XI of France marries Charlotte of Savoy.
- April 11 – Celje acquires market town status and town rights by orders from Count Frederic II of Celje.
- April 19 – In the Delhi Sultanate, the Afghan Lodi dynasty succeeds the Turkish Sayyid dynasty.
- June 30 – French troops under the Comte de Dunois invade Guyenne and capture Bordeaux.
- August 20 – The French capture Bayonne, the last English stronghold in Guyenne.
- October 28 – Revolt of Ghent: Ghent takes up arms against Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy.
- The University of Glasgow is founded.
- Nicholas of Cusa invents concave lens spectacles to treat myopia.
- January 14 – Franchinus Gaffurius, Italian composer (d. 1522)
- January 29 – John, Prince of Portugal, Prince of Portugal (d. 1451)
- February 17 – Raffaello Maffei, Italian theologian (d. 1522)
- March 5 – William Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, English Earl (d. 1491)
- April 22 – Queen Isabella I of Castile, Aragonese queen consort (d. 1504)
- May 2 – René II, Duke of Lorraine (d. 1508)
- May 17 – Engelbert II of Nassau, Count of Nassau-Vianden and Lord of Breda (1475–1504) (d. 1504)
- June 1 – Giles Daubeney, 1st Baron Daubeney (d. 1508)
- July 10 – James III of Scotland (d. 1488)
- September 5 – Isabel Neville, Duchess of Clarence, elder daughter of Richard Neville (d. 1476)
- November 29 – Elisabeth of Brandenburg, Duchess of Württemberg (d. 1524)
- date unknown – Christopher Columbus, Italian explorer (d. 1506)
- May 09 – Amerigo Vespucci, Italian explorer (d. 1512)
- February 3 – Murad II, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1404)
- June – ‘Abdullah, Timurid Empire ruler
- July 11 – Barbara of Cilli, Slovenian noblewoman
- November 7 – Count Amadeus VIII of Savoy (b. 1383)
- date unknown