Alliance Air (India)
|Commenced operations||21 June 1996|
|Frequent-flyer program||Flying returns|
|Alliance||Star Alliance (affiliate)|
|Fleet size||20 (June 2019)|
|Destinations||55 (May 2019)|
|Company slogan||Connecting India|
|Parent company||Air India Limited|
Alliance Air is an Indian regional airline and a wholly owned subsidiary of Air India. It was founded in 1996 and mainly operates domestic routes as part of the government's Regional Connectivity Scheme.
Alliance Air was founded in April 1996 as a subsidiary of Indian Airlines. The parent company wished to make better use of its Boeing 737 fleet, so it wet-leased 12 of these aircraft to Alliance Air. The subsidiary operated its first flight on 21 June 1996. Alliance Air served as a low-cost feeder airline for Indian Airlines, providing connections to the latter's hubs from various smaller cities across the country. In 2002 the airline was offering flights to 44 destinations in India utilizing a fleet of 11 Boeing 737-200s.
In 2007, when Indian Airlines was merged with Air India, it became the regional arm of Air India operating under a new identity as Air India Regional. In March 2017, the airline was again renamed Alliance Air.
Alliance Air operates to 55 destinations in India as of May 2019. It operates regional services in India through its hubs in Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Mumbai and Visakhapatnam.
Alliance Air operates the following aircraft as of June 2019:
Accidents and incidents
- Alliance Air Flight 7412 was scheduled to fly between Kolkata and Delhi via Patna and Lucknow on 17 July 2000. On approach to Patna Airport the Boeing 737-200 entered into a stall and crashed into a housing complex two kilometres from the runway, killing 55 of the 58 occupants of the aircraft, in addition to five people on the ground. The Ministry of Civil Aviation deemed pilot error as the likely cause of the accident.
- Air India Limited
- Air India
- Air India Express
- Air India Cargo
- Air India Air Transport Services
- Indian Airlines
- "Alliance Air (India)". ch-aviation. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "JO 7340.2G Contractions" (PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. 5 January 2017. p. 3-1-17. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Alliance Air" (PDF). Flight International. March 2002. p. 71. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- Haridas, Neena (17 July 2000). "Plane had met with an accident before". Rediff.com. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "About Air India Regional".
- "Air India Regional". Air India. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Alliance Air". Air India. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "Fleet Details". Air India. Archived from the original on 27 February 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "India's Alliance Air ends CRJ-700 operations". ch-aviation. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Alliance Air Flight 7412". Aviation Safety Network. Flight Safety Foundation. Retrieved 19 May 2019.