|Anand Rishiji Maharaj|
27 July 1900
|Died||28 March 1992
|Other names||Rashtra Sant|
|Known for||Jain religious leader|
|Part of a series on|
Anand Rishiji Maharaj (Marathi: आनंद ऋषीजी महाराज) (1900–1992) was a Jain religious leader. The Government of India issued a commemorative postage stamp in his honour on 9 August 2002. He was awarded with the honorary title of Rashtra Sant.
Sansari Name - Nemichandji ; Sansari Surname - Gugliya/ Gugale ; Mother Name - Shrimati. Hulsabai ; Father Name - Shriman. Devichandji ; Tithi of Birth - Shrawan sudh Ekam ; Birth Place - Chichondi Dist. Ahmednagar
He was born in Ahmednagar (Maharashtra) on 27 July 1900 and received initiation from the age of thirteen with Acharya Ratna Rishiji Maharaj, who died in Alipur in 1927. He was pious from his childhood, and started taking religious lessons at an early age. From 1964 until his death in 1992, he was the second Acharya of Vardhman Sthanakvasi Jain Shravak Sangh, a Jain religious body.
At the age of 13, Nemichand decided to spend the rest of his life as a Jain sant. His diksha (consecration) took place on 7 December 1913 (Margashirsha Shukla Navami) at Miri in Ahmednagar district. He was then given the name Anand Rishi Ji Maharaj. He started learning Sanskrit and Prakrit Stotras under the guidance of Pandit Rajdhari Tripathi. He gave his first pravachan to the public in 1920 at Ahmednagar.
Together with Ratna Rishi Ji Maharaj, Anand Rishi Ji had started promoting Jainism. After mentor Ratna Rishi Ji Maharaj's santhara death in Alipur in 1927, Anand Rishi Ji was devastated. However, he never forgot his mentors words "Never be sad, and always work towards well-being of mankind". His first chaturmas without his mentor was in Hinganghat in 1927. In 1931, he used to have religious discussions with Jain dharma divakar Chuathmalji Maharaj, who realized Anand Rishi Ji's capability to become Acharya, and conveyed his wish it to his followers.
Anand Rishi Ji started many programs to benefit Shravaks. While in Ghodnadi for chaturmas, he decided to establish a religious center called Shri. Tilok Ratna Sthanakvasi Jain Dharmik Pariksha Board. It was established in Ahmednagar on 25 November 1936.
In 1952, at Sadri Sadhu Sammelan in Rajasthan, Anand Rishi Ji was declared as the Prime Minister of Jain Shraman Sangha. In 1953, many renowned Jain sadhus came together for a common chaturmas in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. On 13 May 1964 (Phalguna Shukla Ekadasi), Anand Rishi Ji became second Acharya of Shraman Sangha. The ceremony took place in Ajmer, Rajasthan.
After his chaturmas in 1974 in Mumbai, Anand Rishi Ji arrived in Pune. A huge welcome ceremony took place at Shaniwar Wada. On 13 February 1975 (Maagha shukla dvitiya), he was awarded the title Rashtra Sant by Maharashtra's chief minister Vasantrao Naik. This was also the year of his 75th birthday. The same year, Anand Foundation was established. 1987 was the diamond jubilee year of his consecration as a sadhu. It was celebrated with nine consecrations, and in the presence of Pujya Shankaracharya and Chief Minister Shankarrao Chavan.
One more divine thing about the revered Acharya is that he had a PADAM symbol in his foot middle. He would exhibit that only to those devotees who forbid one of his habit or vowed some PRAN for lifetime. 
- G. R. Sholapurkar Spiritual masters of India (20th century) ISBN 9788121701037 Bharatiya Vidya Prakashan - 1994 - Page 128 "Acharya Anand Rishi Ji Maharaj has been the chief inspiration in founding many institutions. Some of these are mentioned below: (i) In memory of his Guru, Acharva Ratna Rishi Ji Maharaj, the..."
- "WNS:IN023.02". Universal Postal Union. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- Acyuta Yājñika, Suchitra Sheth The Shaping of Modern Gujarat: Plurality, Hindutva, and Beyond - 2005- Page 118 "Around 1895 they started an association called the Shravak Sangh to unite Jains and spread education in the Jain ... The young leaders of the Shravak Sangh argued that Jains were essentially a business community and, in view of the .."
- Birth Centenary of Acharya Shri Anand Rishi Ji - Apnabangalore.com Acharya Shri Anand Rishi Ji Maharaj birth Centenary Year 1999-2000 second Acharya of Vardhman Sthanak Vasi Jain Shravak Sangh. Year long celebrations ...
- "About". Anandrishiji Hospital website. Retrieved 2013-03-15.