|Motto||"Live and Help Live"|
|Type||Jain religious organization|
|Purpose||Religious, Charitable, Non Profit|
|Headquarters||New York City, United States|
| United States,
|Board of directors|
|Affiliations||Jain organizations in USA and Canada|
|Part of a series on|
JAINA is an acronym for the Federation of Jain Associations in North America, an umbrella organizations to preserve, practice, and promote Jainism in USA and Canada. It was founded in 1981 and formalized in 1983. Among Jain organization it is unique in that it represents Jains of all sects, and thus effectively represents the entire Jain community in USA and Canada.
The Jain Center of Southern California was founded in 1979. Lalit Shah, its Vice President in 1980, suggested establishment of an umbrella organization of all the Jain organizations in North America. At that time about 15 Jain organizations were in existence, including the Jain Center of America, New York, Jain Meditation International Center founded by Chitrabhanu, International Mahavir Jain Mission founded by Sushil Kumar and Jain centers in Boston and Chicago. The JAINA concept was initiated at the first Jain Convention held in Los Angeles in 1981 and formalized at the second Jain Convention in New York in 1983, with the advice and approval of Chitrabhanu and Sushil Kumar.
The conventions are now termed JAINA Conventions, and have been held biennially in Los Angeles, New York, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Toronto, Philadelphia, Chicago, Cincinnati, Houston, and Atlanta. It also publishes textbooks on Jainism, a calendar and a monthly magazine, and operates an online Jain library.
There are over 70 organizations that are part of JAINA. JAINA represents over 160,000 Jains in USA and Canada. It also has 32 subcommittees involved in different activities.
The Federation of Jain Associations in North America uses a modified version of the standard Jain symbol, the Jain Prateek Chihna. It replaces the swastika with an om because the former is not considered a pious symbol in the western world.
Interfaith and Relief Actions
JAINA Ratna Award
- : Anita (2012-09-16). "Thousands show the Jain-way of tolerance in US - Oneindia News". News.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "JAINA". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- Historical Perspectives of JAINA, LA-Jain Center, LA-Pathshala, Editors: S. Kothari, L. Shah, M. Khandar, LA Jain Center, July 4, 2009
- "$20M Jain temple rises in SoCal - USATODAY.com". Usatoday30.usatoday.com. 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- "The Pluralism Project at Harvard University". Pluralism.org. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- Indian Muslims. "Jain convention in New Jersey draws thousands | Indian Muslims". Indianmuslims.info. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- Jaina convention meets for networking and, maybe, marriage? BY RUCHI MUKHERJEE, 07.06.11 http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/07-06-11-jain-convention-meets-for-networking-and-maybe-marriage/
- "Jains to Work With Hindu Statesman Zed on Interfaith Actions". Newsblaze.com. 2008-11-19. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- "Jain Symbols". p. 29. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- FUTURE OF JAIN FAITH TOPIC AT STANFORD, San Jose Mercury News (CA) - June 22, 1991
- BROWN ANALYZES POLITICS FOR JAINS, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 4, 1993
- "Jain Center's history honored". Enquirer.com. 2003-10-04. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- "Jain convention in New Jersey draws thousands". TwoCircles.net. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- $22,000 DONATION AIDS INDIAN VILLAGE, Buffalo News - May 14, 2000
- Jains in India and Abroad, Prakash C. Jain, Int. School for Jain Studies, New Delhi, 2011, p. 104
- "An Independent Monthly". South Asian Outlook. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "Fellow Jain Members". Jainworld.com. Retrieved 2013-01-15.