List of Jains
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Part of a series on|
Jain // is the title and name given to an adherent of Jainism. The term has its origin in the Sanskrit term jina ("conqueror" or "victor"). This article lists prominent individuals who have self-identified as a follower of Jainism.
- 1 Ascetics
- 2 Business leaders / Top executives
- 3 Indian Freedom Struggle
- 4 Political Leaders
- 5 Entertainment
- 6 Sports
- 7 Authors
- 8 Other
- 9 Scientists
- 10 Social Workers
- 11 Padma Shri Awardees
- 12 Padma Bhushan Awardees
- 13 Padma Vibhushan Awardees
- 14 See also
- 15 References
Main article: List of Jain ascetics
- Bhadrabahu - Last shrutkevali (knower of all Jain Agamas) and spiritual teacher of Emperor Chandragupta
- Virasena - 9th century mathematician
- Kundakunda - Jain scholar monk, 2nd century CE, composer of spirituals such as: Samayasara, Niyamasara, Pancastikayasara, Pravacanasara, Atthapahuda and Barasanuvekkha.
- Kumudendu Muni - Author of Siribhoovalaya.
- Siddhasena Divakara - Author of Sanmatitarka Prakarana
- Acharya Shantisagar - Digambara Acharya of 20th century
- Acharya Vidyananda - Prominent Digambara Jain monk
- Acharya Vidyasagar - Prominent Digambara Jain monk
- Shrimad Rajchandra - 19th century philosopher/mystic
- Acharya Mahaprajna - Acharya of Terapanth sect
Business leaders / Top executives
- Ajit Gulabchand - Leader of HCC Limited
- Dilip Shanghvi - Owner Of Sun Pharmaceuticals, Mumbai
- Anand Jain - Owner Of Jai Corporations, Mumbai
- Vinay Jain - Mitthan Lal Marketing Ltd.
- Vinay Maloo - Chairman of Enso Group
- Ambalal Sarabhai - Sarabhai group of Companies
- Anshu Jain - Deutsche Bank
- Bhavarlal Jain -Industrialist in Indian Agriculture
- Gautam Adani - Chairman, Adani Group
- Gulabchand Hirachand
- Indu Jain - Owner, The Times Group
- Kasturbhai Lalbhai - one of the founders of Arvind Mills (1931)
- Lalchand Hirachand
- Mofatraj Munot - Kalpataru Ltd. (55th richest Indian in 2011 )
- Narendra Patni - Founder of Patni Computer Systems
- Sahu Ramesh Chandra Jain - Ex-Editor, Times of India Group Publications
- Mangal Prabhat Lodha - Owner of Lodha Group,Mumbai
- Walchand Hirachand - Founder, Walchand Hirachand group
- Motilal Oswal - Chairman & Managing Director of Motilal Oswal Group
- Ajit Jain - President of Berkshire Hathway Insurance group USA
- Anshu Jain - Co-CEO of Deutsche Bank.
- Naveen Jain - Founder of InfoSpace and Intelius
- Raj Jain - Co-founder of Nayna Networks Inc. USA
Indian Freedom Struggle
- Mridula Sarabhai - Indian independence activist
- Ambalal Sarabhai - Indian independence activist
- Jagdish Chandra Jain - Indian independence activist
- Lakshmi Chand Jain - Freedom fighter, cooperative leader
- Mool Chand Jain - Often referred to as "Gandhi of Haryana"
- Sohan Lal Jain - Gandhian and freedom fighter
- Abbakka Chowta - Queen of Ullal
- Amoghavarsha - Rashtrakut Emperor
- Bhamashah - Adviser of Maharana Pratap, hero of Mewar (Rajasthan).
- Bhoja II - Shilahara King
- Bimbisara - Magadh Emperor
- Chandragupta Maurya - Founder of the Mauryan empire
- Chavundaraya - General of Ganga King Marsinha who built the Gomateshwara, Shravanabelagola, Karnataka, India
- Kharavela - Kalinga Emperor (Kalinga is today known as Orissa)
- Kumarpal - Solanki King
- Mahendravarman I
- Samprati - Mauryan Emperor
- Amit Shah - current President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
- A. Rajendran - Ex MLA, Tamil Nadu
- Dhulappa Bhaurao Navale - Member of Legislative Council Maharashtra(1963 to 1972).
- L. M. Singhvi - Former Indian Ambassador to UK, Member of Parliament
- M. P. Veerendra Kumar
- Milap Chand Jain
- Mohan Lal Sukhadia - Ex-Chief Minister of Rajasthan and ex-Governor of various states
- Pradeep Jain Aditya - Minister of state in Rural development
- Pusp Jain
- Rajendra Darda - Cabinet Minister, Maharashtra
- Raju Shetti
- Sunder Singh Bhandari - Governor of Gujarat
- Suresh Jain - Indian politician
- V. Dhananjaya Kumar - Former Union Minister Government of India
- Vijay J. Darda - Member of Parliament
- Anil Jain - Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national general secretary
- Satyendra Kumar Jain - Delhi Health Minister
- Kavita Jain - Haryana Women and Child Ministe
- Paras Chandra Jain - Cabinet Minister in Government of Madhya Pradesh
- Sunder Lal Patwa - EX Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
- Virendra Kumar Sakhlecha - EX Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
- Mewaram Jain - MLA, Rajasthan Legislative Assembly
- Ishwarlal Shankarlal Jain - Member of the Parliament of India
- Meghraj Jain - Member of the Parliament of India
- Virdhi Chand Jain - Member of the Parliament of India
- Satya Pal Jain - Member of the Parliament of India
- Nirmal Chandra Jain - Governor of Rajasthan
- Pusp Jain
- Kailash Bhansali
- Mishrilal Gangwal - Former chief minister of Madhya Bharat state
- Sudha Jain - Indian politician from Madhya Pradesh state
- Prateik Jain - Mr. India World 2014, Top 10 in Mr. World 2014
- Abigail Jain - Actress
- Anand Gandhi - Film Director
- Armaan Jain - Actor
- Anandji Virji Shah - Music director
- Anuradha Paudwal - Singer
- Babla Virji Shah - Music performer, Singer.
- Bharat Shah - Diamond merchant and film producer
- Gundecha Brothers - exponent of dhrupad style of Indian Classical Music
- Kalyanji Virji Shah - Music director
- Kiran Shah
- Nirav Shah - Cinematographer
- Pamela Jain
- Ravindra Jain - Music director
- V Shantaram - Indian film industry
- Viju Shah
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali - Indian film director, producer, screenwriter, and music director
- Sooraj Barjatya - Indian film director, producer, screenwriter, and music director
- Varun Jain - Actor
- Umang Jain - Actress
- Palak Jain - Child Artist
- Vinay Jain - Actor
- Darsheel Safary - Child Artist
- Mrunal Jain - Actor
- Bhavya Gandhi - Child Artist
- Chandulal Jain - Producer
- Bharat Jain - Producer
- Paras Jain - Producer
- Nishtha Jain - Indian film director
- Dilip Doshi - Indian Test and one-day cricketer
- Anju Jain - Indian cricketer
- Karu Jain - Indian cricketer
- Phadeppa Dareppa Chaugule - marathon runner
- Ilango Adigal
- Champat Rai Jain - Influential Jain writer and apologist of the 20th century
- Banarasidas - Poet, Spiritualist and Thinker. Composed the Banarasivilasa, Nataka Samayasara and his magnum opus, Ardhakathanaka, the first ever autobiography in Hindi literature.
- Nathuram Premi - Publisher and scholar of Jainism, founder of Hindi Granth Karyalay and Manikchandra Jain Granthamala, historian, researcher, social reformer and editor of Jain Mitra and Jain Hitaishi'
- Bhagchandra Jain 'Bhaskar' - Scholar of Jainism, Buddhism, Religious Studies and Ancient Languages. He is a recipient of the President's (Rastrapati) Award and has written over 40 books and published more than 300 research papers.
- Bal Patil - Author, Journalist, Jain activist and ex-member of Minority Commission, Government of Maharashtra
- Padmanabh Jaini - Author. Professor Emeritus Berkeley University
- Jainendra Kumar
- Kanhaiyalal Sethia
- Bhattakalanka Deva - Kannada grammarian
- Virchand Gandhi - He represented Jainism in 1893's parliament of world religions, delivered 535 captivating speeches in USA and Europe, and as activist initiated education of Indian women's in USA under banner of SEWI.
- Acharya Rajneesh - "Osho" - mystic and spiritual teacher
- Jyotindra Jain - cultural historian, museologist
- Ajit Prasad Jain
- Ambalal Sarabhai
- Dhulappa (Anna) Bhaurao Navale - First individual Satyagrahi of Mahatma Gandhi from Satara District in which Sangli
- Jagdish Chandra Jain
- Lakshmi Chand Jain - Ramon Magsaysay Award winner
- Charlotte Laws
Padma Shri Awardees
- Mag Raj Jain
- Bhavarlal Jain
- Rahul Jain
- Ravindra Jain
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Yashpal Jain
- Gyan Chand Jain
- Nemi Chandra Jain
- Om Prakash Jain
- Sunita Jain
- Sharayu Daftary
Padma Bhushan Awardees
- Karmveer Bhaurao Patil - Educationalist, Founder of Rayat Shikshan Sanstha
- Veerendra Heggade - Dharmadhikari (Administrator) of Dharmasthala Temple
- Kasturbhai Lalbhai
- Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai - Space Scientist
- Devaki Jain
- Girilal Jain
Padma Vibhushan Awardees
- ConchSolutions. "Siribhoovalaya | Siribhoovalaya Information | Siribhoovalaya reference and meaning". Conchsolutions.com. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- Handbook of Peace and Conflict Studies - Charles Webel - Google Books. Books.google.com. 2007-02-23. ISBN 9780203089163. Retrieved 2012-09-09.
- "Wine and wondering with Ajit Gulabchand of Hindustan Construction - The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2008-06-28. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Jivaraja Jaina Granthmala, No". Jainworld.com. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Indu Jain Biography, Times group, Times of India". Archived from the original on 27 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Legacy : Seth Lalchand Hirachand". Premier.co.in. Archived from the original on 3 February 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- "dated April 9, 1953: Walchand Hirachand passes away". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Financial Services, Stock Market Research & Advice by Motilal Oswal Financial Services Ltd.". Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "The Intrepid Queen-Rani Abbakka Devi of Ullal". Retrieved 2007-07-25.
- Reu (1933), p. 72.
- "Digambaras". Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "Overview of World Religions". Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- Kamath (2001), p. 45.
- "Maharaja Kharavela". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Maharaja Kharavela's Family". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Bhanwarlal Nathuram Luniya (1978). Life and culture in medieval India. Kamal Prakashan. p. 385. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- KAN Sastri, A History of South India, pp. 382-383.
- Stein, p. 122.
- Dwyer, Rachel. (2005). 100 Bollywood films. BFI screen guides. London:British Film Institute. ISBN 1-84457-098-3 p. 82.
- "History of Vegetarianism and Cow-Veneration". Indologica. 2010-12-03. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- Various (1987) . Encyclopaedia of Indian literature - vol 1. Sahitya Akademi. ISBN 8126018038.
- Jain, Pankaz; Dr. Bipin Doshi; Priti Shah. "Virchand Gandhi, A Gandhi Before Gandhi". A german e-magazine. herenow4u. Retrieved 2011-08-09.
- Jaina Iconography - Jyotindra Jain, Eberhard Fischer - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. ISBN 9004052593. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "The 1989 Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service, BIOGRAPHY of Lakshmi Chand Jain". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Rons Bantwal (11 October 2011). "Dharmadhikari Dr Veerendra Heggade Lauds Social Welfare of Bunts Sangh". Daijiworld. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "1989 Ramon Magsaysay Awardee for Public Service - Lakshmi Chand Jain". Rmaf.org.ph. Retrieved 2012-11-08.