Blue Star Memorial Highway
Blue Star Memorial Highways are highways in the United States that are marked to pay tribute to the U.S. armed forces. The National Council of State Garden Clubs, now known as National Garden Clubs, Inc., started the program in 1945 after World War II. The blue star was used on service flags to denote a service member fighting in the war. The program has since been expanded to include Memorial Markers and Memorial By-ways (since 1994). These markers are used in National Cemeteries, parks, veterans facilities, and gardens.
- 1 List of Blue Star Memorials
- 1.1 Alabama
- 1.2 Alaska
- 1.3 California
- 1.4 Colorado
- 1.5 Delaware
- 1.6 Florida
- 1.7 Georgia
- 1.8 Illinois
- 1.9 Indiana
- 1.10 Iowa
- 1.11 Kentucky
- 1.12 Louisiana
- 1.13 Maine
- 1.14 Maryland
- 1.15 Massachusetts
- 1.16 Michigan
- 1.17 Nebraska
- 1.18 New Hampshire
- 1.19 New Jersey
- 1.20 New York
- 1.21 North Carolina
- 1.22 Oklahoma
- 1.23 Oregon
- 1.24 Pennsylvania
- 1.25 Rhode Island
- 1.26 South Carolina
- 1.27 Tennessee
- 1.28 Virginia
- 1.29 Washington
- 1.30 Wyoming
- 2 See also
- 3 Reference
- 4 External links
List of Blue Star Memorials
- Scenic Highway 98, Baldwin County starting at Montrose–Daphne city line and traveling north through Montrose
- Sponsored by the Montrose Garden Club
- Dedicated April 18, 2015 in a ceremony held at Knights of Columbus Hall
- US 31 just north of Prattville
- Sterling Highway, marker at Anchor Point, the westernmost point on the North American contiguous highway system.
- SR 58 in Southern California
- SR 211, in Humboldt County; marker at Veterans Memorial Building, 1100 Main Street, Ferndale.
- US 101 at Trinidad in Humboldt County; markers at both north and south bound Trinidad rest areas between miles 728 and 731.
- SR 62 in Southern California from the Arizona state line to I-10.
And on highway 287 in Lafayette CO at Baseline Red.
- US 92 at the intersection with CR 579 on Kennedy Hill in front of the Hardee's Restaurant between the towns of Thonotosassa, Seffner, and Mango.
- US 41 in Palmetto.
- US 1, Key Largo
- I-75 at the Georgia Welcome center near Ringgold.
- I-95 at the Georgia Welcome center near Savannah.
- SR 13 (Buford Highway) between Rest Haven and Buford
- Lumpkin Street near the University of Georgia
- IL 43 (South Harlem Avenue) at the intersection of Will County Route 74 (West Laraway Road) in Frankfort in 1980.
- 95th Street & Cook Avenue in Oak Lawn; Across from Oak Lawn Village Library.
- US 31 Business in Peru at the southwest Intersection with River Road.
- I-70 eastbound rest area near Plainfield.
- US 50 in Jackson County, on the northwest area of Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge.
|Feb. 25 1955||Fort Pike State Park Off Hwy 90, New Orleans||New Orleans Federated Council of Garden Clubs|
|Nov. 14 1972||Chef Menteur Hwy. (Hwy. 90) at Michoud Blvd., New Orleans||Les Belles Fleures Garden Club|
|Dec. 2 1972||Gen. DeGaulle Dr. In median at Mardi Gras Blvd.(West Bank)||Algiers, Aurora, and Buena Vista Garden Clubs|
|Nov. 14 1972||Gentilly Blvd. (Hwy. 90) In median at Gentilly Woods Shopping Center, New Orleans||Pontchartrain Garden Club|
|March 2, 1996||St. Bernard Hwy, (LA 46) Dela Ronde Home Ruins, Chalmette
(lost in Katrina - August 2005)
|Green Thumb Garden Club|
|March 2, 1996||St. Bernard Hwy. (LA 46) Arabi||Green Thumb Garden Club|
|Nov 1997||Judge Perez Dr. at Culture Center, Chalmette (lost in Katrina - August 2005)||Green Thumb Garden Club|
|April 26, 2002||City Park Botanical Gardens by the Flag Pole||Federated Council of New Orleans Garden Clubs|
|Oct. 19 2008||Hwy 23/Belle Chase Hwy Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base (NAS/JRB)||District I & II|
|June 6, 2010||The National WWII Museum, 1001 Magazine St., New Orleans||"Freedom Isn't Free" Project, LGCF, Inc.|
|Nov. 11 2010||Hwy 23/Bell||Creative Planters Garden Club|
|April 11, 1961||International Airport, New Orleans. Original Lost; Replaced on August 22, 2011||Jefferson Parish Council of Garden Clubs, Inc.|
|1973||Jefferson Hwy LaBarre Rd. New Orleans||Jefferson Parish Council of Garden Clubs, Inc.|
|1973||Bridge City-West Bank (Hwy. 90) at foot of Huey P. Long Bridge||Jefferson Parish Council of Garden Clubs, Inc.|
|Nov.11 1996||Franklin Ave. at Stumpf Blvd. West Bank, Gretna||Twilight Gardeners Association, Gretna|
|Sept. 11 2002||Parterre Memorial Gardens in Lafreniere Park, Metairie||District II Garden Clubs|
|Nov 6 2010||North End of Hwy 3134, (Intersect w/Barataria Blvd,) Marrero||Jefferson Parish Council of Garden Clubs|
|Nov 6 2010||799 Jean Lafitte Blvd, Jean Lafitte||Better Swamps & Garden Club|
|April 6, 2011||Kenner Veteran's Park, 1901 Williams Blvd, Kenner||Chateux Estates Garden Club|
|May 6, 2011||Argonne St. & Transcontinental Ave., Metairie||Petals of North Bridgedale Garden Club|
|Nov 10 2011||Veterans Memorial Blvd and North Causeway Blvd, Metairie||Jefferson Parish Council of Garden Clubs, Inc.|
|March 20, 2012||400 Block of Terry Parkway, Terrytown||Terrytown Garden Club|
|Dec. 3 1966||Hwy. 90 at Brashear Ave. In median with Eternal Flame||Morgan City Garden Club|
|March 11, 1967||Evangeline Thru-way at Tourist Information Center||Lafayette Garden Club|
|November 1966||Hwy. 90/182, New Orleans Blvd.||Terrebonne Garden Club|
|May 25, 1998||Hwy. 90 at South-East Blvd.||Bayou Vista Garden Club|
|April 24, 1999||LA1 at Nicholls State University, Thibodaux||Thibodaux Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 1999||Hwy. 90 at Hwy. 182, Entrance to City at Tourist Center||Patterson Garden Club|
|June 28, 2000||Hwy. 90/Service Rd., St. Mary Parish Tourist Center||Franklin Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 2000||LA Hwy. 96, Parish Building, 301 West Port St.||St. Martinville Garden Club|
|June 4, 2002||Jackson St. at West 10th St. Chaisson Park||Thibodaux Garden Club|
|May 27, 2002||1010 Main St. Sugar City Plaza, Jeanerette||New Iberia Garden Club|
|Nov. 13 2003||Convention & Visitors Bureau Hwy. 14, Iberia Parish||New Iberia Garden Club|
|Nov 10 2004||Patterson City Hall, Hwy 182||Patterson Garden Club|
|July 4, 2004||Veterans Park - Berard St., Breaux Bridge||Breaux Bridge Garden Club|
|May 9, 2005||City Hall, Loreauville||Azalea Garden Club|
|May 29, 2005||City Hall Grounds on Main St.||Gueydan Garden Club|
|April 26, 2009||Hwy 182, 300 Patti Dr., Berwick Civic Center||Berwick Garden Club|
|Welcome Center at 1-20, Shreveport West||Shreveport Federated Garden Clubs|
|Nov. 11 1978||Hwy 1 at entrance to LSU- Shreveport||Pierremont Hills Garden Club|
|Hwy 71 South 8 miles from Arkansas State Line||Hosston Garden Study Club|
|April 7, 1974||Old Minden Rd. at Benton Rd.||Bossier City Garden Club|
|Oct. 27 2003||Turner's Pond by Lakeview United Methodist Church, Lake Shore Dr., Minden||Town & Country Garden Club|
|Unknown||Hwy 165, Bastrop||Bastrop Garden Club|
|June 1952||Roadside Park Hwy. 167 North||Ruston Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 1954||Hwy 15 & Loop Rd. Roadside Park||Winnsboro Garden Club|
|March 1, 1957||Hwy 15, Wisner||Wisner Garden Club|
|1987||Hwy 17, Epps||Epps Garden Club|
|1970's||Hwy 17 at Hwy. 80, Delhi||Delhi Garden Club|
|May 30, 1968||Hwy 165, West Monroe of the Twin Cities||Welcome Garden Club|
|May 30, 1968||Hwy 34 South, Monroe||Monroe Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 1994||LA Hwy 84, Tourist Center||Vidalia Garden Club|
|May 15, 2007||Hwy 84 at Bayou Cocodrie Welcome Sign||Ferriday Garden Club|
|Nov. 6 2007||Hwy 167 South, Jonesboro||Jonesboro Hodge Garden Club|
|May 15, 1956||Old Spanish Trail in median at Pontchartrain Dr. & Carey St.||Bayou Liberty Garden Club|
|1965||Hwy.61 at Florida Blvd./Airline (Cortana Mall) (destroyed)||Baton Rouge Garden Club|
|April 1963||Hwy I-55 Tourist Information Center, Hammond||Pine Cone Garden Club|
|November 1989||Cate Square Park||Hammond Garden Club|
|July 1, 2006||Independence Blvd.||Baton Rouge Garden Club|
|May 31, 2004||Hwy 16 at City Hall||Stem & Stamen Garden Club|
|July 4, 2007||Corner of Pine St. and the RailRoad||Ponchatoula Gardenetts and Community Garden Club|
|October 27, 2007||Hwy 36/22 St Tammany Fire District 12, Station 124||Covington Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 2007||Bayou Plaquemine Waterfront Park||Plaquemine Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 2008||Hwy Bus 61, 305 River Rd. S, In front of the USS Kidd||Baton Rouge Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 2008||Veterans Blvd between Florida Blvd and Range Ave||Denham Springs Garden Club|
|1960||Hwy 190 West at Tourist Information Center (Exit 19B from I-49)||Opelousas Garden Club|
|Nov.11 1964||Hwy 171 at Washington St.||DeRidder Gardenettes|
|Nov.11 1966||Hwy 27 at Roselawn Cemetery (Exit 20 from I-10)||Town & Country and Sulphur Garden Club|
|May 28, 1994||LA Hwy 103 (Exit 25 from I-49)||Washington Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 1998||LA Hwy 383 City Hall Complex, Iowa||Iowa Garden Club|
|Nov. 11 2000||LA Hwy 90 at Tourist Center, Lake Charles
(remounted after Hurricane Rita - 2005) photo
|Lake Charles and Diggers & Weeders Garden Club of Lake Charles|
|May 15, 2004||Hwy 90 at 250 West Laurel; Post Office, Eunice||Bulb and Blossom Garden Club|
|Oct. 2 2004||Hwy 165 - 4th St. at the Gazebo, Kinder||Spade & Hope Garden Club|
|Nov. 10 2006||City Hall, 126 E. Main St. Ville Platte||Magnolia Garden Club|
|May 26, 2007||SW Intersection of LA Hwy 13 and Interstate 10||Crowley Garden Club|
|Nov 1968||Hwy 167/71, MacArthur Dr. at Richard Avenue||Alexandria and Airview Terrace Garden Club|
|April 1, 1996||101 West Lee St., Leesville||Sponsored by the Alexandria Garden Club|
|Oct. 25 2000||LA Hwy 1- Clarence Edwards Park||Marksville Garden Club|
|Dec 7 2009||Alexandria Air Force Base||Alexandria Garden Club|
|April 12, 2011||LGCF, Inc. Headquarters, 1606 Water St., Lecompte||LGCF, Inc. 75th Anniversary (1934 - 2009)|
The Maine Turnpike (Interstate 95) in all of Maine.
- Interstate 495 and State Route 25, extending from I-95 close to the New Hampshire state line in Salisbury to Cape Cod. I-495 (Salisbury to Wareham portion) is the second-longest auxiliary Interstate Highway in the U.S.
- U.S. Route 83 Kansas border to South Dakota border
- Interstate 95 throughout the state. There is a marker at the rest area in Seabrook just beyond the state line.
- U.S. Route 22 from Mountainside to North Plainfield
- County Route 632 aka Ridgedale Avenue from East Hanover, Morris County.
- North side of NJ 70 (John Davison Rockefeller Highway), just west of Chairville Road, Medford Township 08055
- Niagara Section of the New York State Thruway, Interstate 190, adjacent to the toll plaza for the northbound South Grand Island Bridge
- New Rochelle at intersection of Main Street and Pratt Street. Fanneuil Park across the street from the New Rochelle Armory.
- Brewster at the historic Brewster Metro-North station clock on the triangle at US 6 (Main Street) and Railroad Avenue.
- Milepost 105 – Southbound Welcome Center (dedicated on July 21, 2006).
- Interstate 85, throughout state (approved on May 5, 1967).
- Interstate 95, throughout state (approved on June 13, 1980).
- Milepost 181 – Southbound Welcome Center.
- U.S. Route 17, from Wilmington to Elizabeth City (approved on November 28, 1949).
- U.S. Route 64, from Tennessee state line to Williamston (approved on March 6, 1950).
- U.S. Route 70, throughout state.
- 15th Avenue Place SE, in Hickory.
- New Hamlet Senior Center, in Hamlet (dedicated on October 18, 1984).
- U.S. Route 158, from Mocksville to Roanoke Rapids (approved on April 6, 1976).
- U.S. Route 158, from Roanoke Rapids to Elizabeth City (approved on May 4, 1972).
- U.S. Route 158, from Elizabeth City to Nags Head (approved on November 28, 1949).
- U.S. Route 301, throughout state (approved on April 28, 1949).
- Hay Street at Freedom Memorial Park, in Fayetteville (dedicated on March 3, 1956).
- Near City Hall towards Camp Lejeune, in Jacksonville (dedicated on May 27, 1984).
- Blue Star Memorial By-Way, dedicated by the Dogwood Garden Club of Red Fork, Oklahoma to recognize military personnel for their service to the United States of America and the many service men and women have passed through Tulsa during their time in defending the country. Location: Route 66 Historical Village, 3770 Southwest Blvd, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Blue Star Memorial Rose Garden, Veterans Administration Healthcare System, Roseburg, Oregon. Location: Interstate 5, Garden Valley Blvd exit, west on Garden Valley. left(South) on Centennial Dr.-VA Roseburg entrance. Blue Star Memorial is located on the corner of Centennial Dr & NW Veterans Way.
- Washburne Wayside, Highway 99W, north of Junction City.
- At most service areas along the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Interstate 76
- US 202 at Gulph Road in King of Prussia.
- Dedication held on 8/10/2013. Portsmouth Free Public Library, 2658 East Main Road, Portsmouth, Rhode Island
(First Town in Rhode Island to place a Blue Star Memorial Marker.)
- Interstate 20, throughout state.
- Interstate 77, throughout state.
- Milepost 89 – Southbound Welcome Center.
- Interstate 85, throughout state.
- Interstate 95, throughout state.
- U.S. Route 1, throughout state.
- At York Street and Richland Avenue intersection, in Aiken.
- West end of the Gervais Street Bridge, in Columbia.
- On South Carolina State Capital grounds, in Columbia.
- Near Sesquicentennial State Park entrance, north of Columbia.
- At Hampton Park, in Camden.
- SC 151 intersection, in McBee (dedicated on April 14, 1953; rededicated on May 23, 2011); it was the sixth established blue star in the state.
- Near North Carolina state line, in Chesterfield County.
- U.S. Route 45 West in Gibson County, Tennessee
- U.S. Route 25 West in Cove Lake State Park in Campbell County, Tennessee
- U.S. Route 641 within Henry County, Tennessee
- Milepost 0 – Northbound Carroll County Rest Area (dedicated on May 30, 2005).
- Milepost 0 – Northbound Greensville County Rest Area.
- U.S. Route 1 in Fairfax County
- Virginia State Route 3 in Lancaster County (effective on July 1, 2011).
- U.S. Route 301[clarification needed] from the Maryland State Line to Business U.S. Route 301 north of Bowling Green; thence via Business U.S. Route 301 to U.S. Route 301 south of Bowling Green and via Richmond, Colonial Heights, Petersburg and Emporia to the North Carolina State Line. (General Assembly 2-24-48) http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/route-index-07012003.pdf
- U.S. Route 15 in Fluvanna County, on the campus of Fork Union Military Academy.
- Old Pacific Highway, Vancouver, Washington. Oldest and newest (having been removed, restored and re-dedicated) Blue Star Memorial Highway Memorial Marker in state of Washington. Located at Covington House.
- Gateway Park, Interstate 90, Otis Orchards. Rest stop and park on the Washington side of the Idaho/Washington state line on Interstate 90. Sign located East of the buildings toward the car parking.
- Green Lake Park, N. 69th Street and Aurora Avenue North on the west side of highway in Seattle. Restored Blue Star Memorial Highway Memorial Marker.
- Veterans' Hospital on Beacon Hill, Seattle. New Blue Star Memorial Marker dedicated on August 5, 2016 at the garden main entrance to the Hospital by the Greater Seattle and Chinook Districts of the Washington State Federation of Garden Clubs and affiliate of the National Garden Clubs, Inc.
Routes in Wyoming designated as Blue Star Memorial Highways include Interstate 25 (markers at Southeast Wyoming Information Center, exit 4, and at Chugwater Rest Area, exit 54), Interstate 80 (marker at Ft. Steele Rest Area, exit 228), I-25 Business Route through Douglas (marker near downtown on Yellowstone Highway), U.S. Route 85 (marker at Mule Creek Jct. Rest Area, mile marker 196). Blue Star Memorial markers are also located in Cody, Riverton and Worland.
- Lysiak, Jennifer. Contract still in the works for LVAC, Metrowny.com, 2011-01-21
- George Unrine & Judy Laird, Blue Star Memorial Highways & Byways, California Garden Clubs, Inc.
- Morris Communications, The Milepost, 59th edition, page 635, ISBN 978-189215421-7
- "2008 Named Freeways, Highways, Structures and Other Appurtenances in California" (PDF). California Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- Waymarking.com. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "History and Current Status of: The Blue Star Memorial Highways". National Remember our Troops Campaign. Archived from the original on January 6, 2015. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- "Blue Star Locations by State". National Garden Clubs, Inc. 2012. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Blue Star Memorial Highway I". Georgia Historical Society. 2008. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- http://www.gardenclub.org/projects/ongoing-projects/blue-star-memorials. Missing or empty
- "Oak Lawn Garden Club". May 1963.
- "I-70 eastbound rest stop near Plainfield Indiana exit - Blue Star Memorial Highway Markers on Waymarking.com". www.waymarking.com. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Blue Star Memorial - US 50 - North Vernon, IN - Blue Star Memorial Highway Markers on Waymarking.com". www.waymarking.com. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "New Home for Blue Star Markers". INSIDE. Iowa Department of Transportation. January 2009. Retrieved September 12, 2011.
- Barkley Regional Airport
- Louisiana Garden Club Federation, Inc. keeps the official list of all Louisiana Blue Star Memorial Highways and Markers
- Michigan Department of Transportation list of memorial highways
- DanTD (June 24, 2016). File:Brewster MNRR station-011.jpg (photograph). Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- "North Carolina Memorial Highways and other Named Facilities" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "NCDOT: NC Blue Star Memorial Marker Locations". Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "The Record". Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "Tarheel Guardsmen December 2010/January 2011" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "Historical Marker Database". Hmdb.org. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- "South Carolina Garden Club - Blue Star Memorial Program". Retrieved November 22, 2012.
- "SCnow.com: Garden Club dedicates Blue Star Marker". Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "The South Carolina Garden Club, Inc.". Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- "Waymarking.com - US 1 Blue Star, Marlboro County". Retrieved 2011-06-19.
- Tennessee Code, Title 54, Chapter 5, Part 10, Section 54-5-1001
- "Virginia.org". Virginia.org. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- "Flickr: Blue Star Memorial Highway - Skippers, Virginia". 2010-07-30. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- Virginia DOT Press Release, Oct. 4, 2005
- "SB 780: Recordation and Grantor Taxes" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "HB 1735 Blue Star Memorial Highway; designates entire length of Route 3 in Lancaster County.". Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- Media related to Blue Star Memorial Highway at Wikimedia Commons
- Blue Star Memorial Program of National Garden Clubs, Inc.
- Blue Star Memorial Project of National Garden Clubs on Facebook
- Caltrans - Blue Star Memorial Highways
- Federal Highway Administration - Blue Star Memorial Highways
- Traveling Along Blue Star Highway in Michigan - Blue Star Memorial Highways
- History and Current Status of: The Blue Star Memorial Highways