Boar's Head Feast
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In the U.S.
Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, Georgia celebrates the Boar's Head Ceremony annually. "Boar's Head is held in the Conant Center on the first Friday in December. It begins with a procession of the members of Omicron Delta Kappa, in academic regalia, carrying a roasted boar's head on a litter. The procession is followed by a reading of the Boar's Head story. The rest of the celebration consists of a concert featuring the University Singers and the Concert Winds, the lighting of the holiday tree and a reception sponsored by the Oglethorpe Student Association. The armorial crest of General James Edward Oglethorpe, which depicts four boars' heads, serves as the inspiration for this annual tradition".
University of Rochester
In 1934, the presidency of Benjamin Rush Rhees was waning and that of Alan Valentine was rising. Valentine, a Rhodes Scholar at Balliol College, Oxford, helped to solidify this tradition at Rochester . This American variant honors a professor and a club at the university each year hence . The professor is responsible for the recounting of the tale of the boar, often at the expense of the students enrolled in their classes. The student club honored receives the head of the slain boar, the highest honor for that academic year. The feast has been held in numerous locations on the River Campus and has settled into the newly refurbished Richard Feldman Ballroom .
Presentations of the Boar's Head festival can be found at:
- Asylum Hill Congregational Church in Hartford, Connecticut
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Saginaw, Michigan
- Lutheran Church in St. Charles, Missouri
- Saint Paul United Methodist Church in Louisville, Kentucky
- The First Church of Winsted in Winsted, Connecticut
- Third Presbyterian Church in Rochester, New York
- Trinity Cathedral in Cleveland, Ohio
- St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
- First United Methodist Church in Huntsville, Alabama
- Trinity United Methodist Church in Springfield, Massachusetts
- St. John's Episcopal Church in Youngstown, Ohio
- Ivy Hall in West Philadelphia, PA. Presented by The Cephalophore Society, a group of Catholic Gentlemen, annually on the feast of St. Thomas Becket.
- "Glossary of Oglethorpe Terms and Historical References". Oglethorpe University. Archived from the original on 30 March 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Alan Valentine". USA Rugby. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "Boar's Head Dinner goes back to 16th century for one night". NewsCenter. 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "Bethlehem Lutheran Church / Home / Welcome". bethlehemsaginaw.org. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-31. Retrieved 2014-10-31.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- STorrs, Debbie. "Boar's Head Festival". firstchurchofwinsted.org. Retrieved 13 April 2018.