He was the 21st chief of the Chōsokabe clan of Tosa Province (present-day Kōchi Prefecture). He was the son and heir of Chōsokabe Kunichika and his mother was a daughter of the Saitō clan of Mino Province.
Battle of Watarigawa and Conflict with Hideyoshi
In 1575, Motochika was victorious at the Battle of Watarigawa, gaining control of Tosa Province. Over the ensuing decade, he extended his power to all of Shikoku. However, in 1585, Hashiba (later Toyotomi) Hideyoshi invaded that island with a force of 100,000 men, led by Ukita Hideie, Kobayakawa Takakage, Kikkawa Motonaga, Hashiba Hidenaga, and Hashiba Hidetsugu. Motochika surrendered, and forfeited Awa, Sanuki, and Iyo Provinces; Hideyoshi permitted him to retain vTosa.
Service under Hideyoshi
Under Hideyoshi, Motochika and his son Nobuchika participated in the invasion of neighboring Kyūshū, in which Nobuchika died. In 1590, Motochika led a fleet in the Siege of Odawara, and also fought in the Japanese invasions of Korea in 1592.
- Grandfather: Chōsokabe Kantesugu (died 1508)
- Father: Chōsokabe Kunichika (1504-1560)
- Wife: Nana (also called Lady Motochika)
In popular culture
Motochiki is a playable character from Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends onwards, where he wields a shamisen, he continuously calls himself as "The Bat King", due to Nobunaga historically referring to him as a "the bat who refuses to fly away from its home".
- 亀岡龍太 (December 11, 2010). "http://mytown.asahi.com/areanews/kochi/OSK201012100141.html" [Chōsokabe clan documents on display at Tosa Yamauchi Family Treasury and Archives beginning on the 11th] (in Japanese). Asahi.com My Town. Archived from the original on August 22, 2011. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- "Motochika + Dewott - Pokemon Conquest characters". Pokemon. Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- "Characters in SW2 xtreme legend".
- 新井政義（編集者）『日本史事典』。東京：旺文社 1987 (p. 263)