New South Wales
|LGA(s)||Greater Hume Shire Council|
Cookardinia is a locality in the Riverina region of New South Wales, Australia. The locality is 57 kilometres (35 mi) south of the regional city of Wagga Wagga and 24 kilometres (15 mi) east of the town of Henty. Its surrounding area has an approximate population of 283 persons.
The place name Cookardinia is derived from the local Aboriginal word meaning "the place of the giant kingfisher" - probably a reference to the Kookaburra and hence the phonetic similarity of the start of each word.
Only several small buildings remain, including the old 'Buckaringa' woolshed on the Cookardinia - Henty road and the Memorial Hall built in 1925.
Cookardinia Post Office opened on 1 December 1873 and closed in 1976.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "1161205 (Census Collection District)". 2001 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 June 2007. Map
- "Cookardinia". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "Travel - Henty". Sydney Morning Herald. 2004-02-08. Retrieved 2007-01-04.
- Mad Dog Morgan Movie (1976)
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 2009-06-11.
Media related to Cookardinia, New South Wales at Wikimedia Commons
|This Riverina geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Australian ghost town-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|