Billabong Creek at Moulamein.
|Name origin: Aboriginal: an effluent from a river, sometimes separated from it, sometimes being joined again at time of flood.|
|State||New South Wales|
|Local government area||Urana|
|Part of||Murray catchment, Murray-Darling basin|
|Towns||Morven, Culcairn, Walbundrie, Rand, Jerilderie, Conargo, Wanganella, Moulamein|
|Source confluence||Yarra Yarra Creek and
Little Billabong Creek
|- location||near Holbrook|
|- elevation||322 m (1,056 ft)|
|Mouth||confluence with the Edward River|
|- elevation||70 m (230 ft)|
|Length||320 km (199 mi)|
|Basin||791 km2 (305 sq mi)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Billabong Creek|
Course and features
Formed by the confluence of the Yarra Yarra Creek and Little Billabong Creek, Billabong Creek rises on the Great Dividing Range, north of Holbrook, and flows generally west, northwest, and west, joined by sixteen minor tributaries before reaching its confluence with the Edward River, at Moulamein. The creek descends 252 metres (827 ft) over its 320 kilometres (200 mi) course.
The creek has a catchment area of 791 square kilometres (305 sq mi) and is the main present drainange line between the Murray and the Murrumbidgee rivers. Alluvial deposits from the system fill a long narrow paleovalley that extends for about 150 kilometres (93 mi) between Garryowen to Walla Walla.
- "Billabong Creek". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- Reed, A. W. (1973). Place names of Australia. Frenchs Forest, New South Wales: Reed Books. p. 31. ISBN 0-589-50128-3.
- "Billabong Creek Salt Interception Scheme". NSW Department of Primary Industries: Office of Water. 2009. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Map of Billabong Creek, NSW". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Water Resources Overview - New South Wales". ANRA. Government of Australia. 2009. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- Media related to Billabong Creek at Wikimedia Commons
- "Murray River catchment (NSW)" (map). Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales.
- Map of the Billabong Creek NSW Murray Wetlands Working Group