|Region||North-eastern Victoria, Australia|
|Ethnicity||Dhudhuroa, Djilamatang, ?Minjambuta|
|Extinct||Early 20th C; Revival 2010s|
Dhudhuroa is an extinct Australian Aboriginal language of north-eastern Victoria. As it is no longer spoken, Dhudhuroa is primarily known today from written material collected by R. H. Mathews from Neddy Wheeler. It has gone by numerous names, including Dhudhuroa, the Victorian Alpine language, Dyinningmiddhang, Djilamatang, Theddora, Theddoramittung, Balangamida, and Tharamirttong. Yaitmathang (Jaitmathang), or Jandangara (Gundanora), was spoken in the same area, but was a dialect of Ngarigu.
Dhudhuroa language is currently undergoing a revival, and is being taught at Bright Secondary College and Wooragee Primary School.
|Stop||b||d||(ɖ [rd])||d̪ [dh]||ɟ [dj]||ɡ|
|Nasal||m||n||(ɳ [rn])||n̪ [nh]||ɲ [ny]||ŋ [ng]|
|Close||i iː||u uː|
Blake and Reid (2002) suggest that there were possibly two retroflex consonants.
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Dhudhuroa". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- S44 Dhudhuroa at the Australian Indigenous Languages Database, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria, volume 75, page 324: It is obvious that the two, the Theddora and the Dhudhuroa, are the same.
- Jacks, Timna (10 October 2015). "VCE Indigenous language students awaken 'sleeping' Dhudhuroa tongue". The Age. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- Blake, Barry J.; Julie Reid (2002). "The Dhudhuroa language of northeastern Victoria: a description based on historical sources". Aboriginal History. 26: 177–210.
- Mathews, R. H. (1909). "The Dhudhuroa language of Victoria". American Anthropologist. 11 (2): 278–284. doi:10.1525/aa.1909.11.2.02a00100.
- Bibliography of Dhuduroa people and language resources, at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
|This Australian Aboriginal languages-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|