|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
Dove (sold as Galaxy in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man, India, Indonesia, Ireland and the Middle East) is a brand of chocolate made and marketed by the Mars company. Dove produces a wide range of chocolate, including dark chocolate, milk, caramel, fruit and nut varieties, truffle and chocolate pieces with a folded milk chocolate center.
The name comes from Dove Candies & Ice Cream, which were Chicago sweet shops owned by Leo Stefanos, a Greek-American. In 1956, Stefanos created the Dove brand of ice cream bars, which were only sold locally in Chicago until 1985 when distribution began in selected cities around the country. The Galaxy brand was first launched in the UK in 1960. In 1986, the company was acquired by Mars, Incorporated. In a 2013 advertising campaign Galaxy features a virtual Audrey Hepburn eating a piece of Galaxy chocolate in a 1960s Mediterranean setting.
The Galaxy and Dove brands cover a wide range of products including chocolate bars in milk chocolate, Caramel and Fruit & Nut varieties, Minstrels, Ripple (milk chocolate with a folded or "rippled" milk chocolate centre), Amicelli, Duetto, Promises, Bubbles and Truffle. Related brands in other parts of the world include "Jewels", and "Senzi" in the Middle East. The Galaxy and Dove brands also market a wide range of products including ready-to-drink chocolate milk, hot chocolate powder, chocolate cakes, ice cream and more. The Dove brand is known for the messages written on the inside of the foil wrapper of each individual chocolate piece.
- Dove Individuals
- Dove Caramel
- Dove Caramel Liaison
- Dove Milk Chocolate Large Bar
- Dove Dark Chocolate Large Bar
- Dove Extra Dark Chocolate 63% CACAO Large Bar
- Dove Milk Chocolate with Almonds Large Bar
- Dove Milk Chocolate Singles Bar
- Dove Dark Chocolate Singles Bar
- Dove Milk Chocolate Miniatures
- Dove Dark Chocolate Miniatures
- Dove Ice Cream Bars
- Dove Cookies
- Dove Sugar Free Chocolates
- Dove Truffle (Discontinued in 2011 in Celebrations, replaced by Twix)
- Dove Dark Peppermint Bar
- Leib, Jeffrey A. (1985-07-05). "The latest cult in ice cream". Select.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- "Mars Acquires The Dove Bar". New York Times. 1986-08-12. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- Hill, David. "ANOTHER LEGEND BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE WITH TECHNOLOGY — THIS TIME IT’S AUDREY HEPBURN". Singularity Hub. Retrieved 8 March 2013.