This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An energy being or astral being is a theoretical life form that is composed of energy rather than matter. They appear in myths/legends, paranormal/UFO accounts, and in various works of speculative fiction.
Energy beings are typically rendered as a translucent glowing fluid or as a collection of flames or electrical sparks or bolts; somewhat in common with the representations of ghosts.
Energy beings have a variety of capacities. The Taelons (from Earth: Final Conflict) are barely more powerful than mortals, while others such as Star Trek's Q, Stargate SG-1's Ascended Ancients/Ori, Ben 10: Alien Force's Anodites, or the Meekrob from Invader Zim possess god-like powers.
In science fiction
- Vorlons (Babylon 5)
- Some of the First Ones (Babylon 5)
- The extraterrestrial Paul in the science-fiction film of the same name, although not constructed of energy, can manipulate energy both telepathically and physically. He can repair damaged tissue in a form of resurrection, and he can also project an image of the Universe into a human mind and make them comprehend the immensity of space-time. His home galaxy is the Andromeda Galaxy, thus placing him in this category.
- Organians (Star Trek)
- Prophets and Pah Wraiths (Star Trek)
- The Q (Star Trek)
- Etherials from Marvel Comics
- Ascended people in Stargate SG-1
- Drej (Titan A.E.)
- C'tan (Warhammer 40,000)
- Naaru and Ethereals (World of Warcraft)
- The Taelons (Earth: Final Conflict)
- Gwen Tennyson, and her grandmother Verdona are Anodites from Ben 10: Alien Force
- Cirronians and possibly Vardians (Tracker)
- The astronaut David Bowman is transformed into a 'Star Child' at the conclusion of 2001 A Space Odyssey
- Kheldians and Nictus (City of Heroes).
- FMians, AMians, UMAs, and Wizards from Megaman Starforce which also have the ability to merge with a human in which form they can go between energy and physical.
- Andromeda (Heroes of Newerth)
- The Meekrob from Invader Zim
- The Embers of Muuat and the Ghosts of Creuss from Twilight Imperium
- The Zoni (Ratchet & Clank)
- Archons and Dark Archons in the StarCraft game franchise
- Zzzax (Marvel Comics)
- Pyron (Darkstalkers)
- Living Laser (Marvel Comics)
- Singularity in Marvel Comics
- Akira from Akira
- Yog, an amoeba-like Energy being from Space Amoeba
- Melllvar and his mother from Futurama
- Outsiders from XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Bill Cipher (Gravity Falls)
- The pure intellectuals from the Skylark (series)