List of reported UFO sightings
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Part of a series on the|
Second millennium BCE
|ca. 1440 BCE||Fiery disks||Lower Egypt||Ancient Egypt||According to the disputed Tulli Papyrus, the scribes of the pharaoh Thutmose III reported that "fiery disks" were encountered floating over the skies. The Condon Committee disputed the legitimacy of the Tulli Papyrus stating, "Tulli was taken in and that the papyrus is a fake."|||
|218 BCE||ships in the sky||Rome, Italia||Roman Republic||Livy records a number of portents in the winter of this year, including navium speciem de caelo adfulsisse ("phantom ships had been seen gleaming in the sky").||Livy's Ab Urbe Condita Libri|
|76 BCE||spark from a falling star||unknown||Roman Republic||According to Pliny the Elder, a spark fell from a star and grew as it descended until it appeared to be the size of the Moon. It then ascended back up to the heavens and was transformed into a light.|||
|74 BCE||flame-like pithoi from the sky||Phrygia, Asia||Roman Republic||According to Plutarch, a Roman army commanded by Lucullus was about to begin a battle with Mithridates VI of Pontus when "all on a sudden, the sky burst asunder, and a huge, flame-like body was seen to fall between the two armies. In shape, it was most like a wine-jar, and in colour, like molten silver." Plutarch reports the shape of the object as like a wine-jar (pithos). The apparently silvery object was reported by both armies.|||
|196 CE||angel hair||Rome||Roman Empire||Historian Cassius Dio described "A fine rain resembling silver descended from a clear sky upon the Forum of Augustus." He used some of the material to plate some of his bronze coins, but by the fourth day afterwards the silvery coating was gone.|||
|1561-04-14||1561 celestial phenomenon over Nuremberg||Nuremberg||Holy Roman Empire||Residents of Nuremberg saw what they described as an aerial battle, followed by the appearance of a large black triangular object and then a large crash outside of the city. The broadsheet claims that witnesses observed hundreds of spheres, cylinders and other odd-shaped objects that moved erratically overhead.|||
|1566-08-07||1566 celestial phenomenon over Basel||Basel||Switzerland||A broadsheet published in 1566 depicted numerous spherical objects appearing out of the sun. This event is depicted in a 16th-century woodcut by Samuel Coccius (Samuel Koch) and Samuel Apiarius.|||
|1668||Levoča Chronicles||Levoča||Hungarian Kingdom (Present-day Slovakia)||The first mention of UFOs in Slovakia is from 1668 from the Levoča town's Chronicles, where the chronicler describes a silver lizard flying in the sky.|||
|1803-02-22 or 03-24||Utsuro-bune at Haratono-hama||Eastern shore||Japan||On February 22 (or March 24) in 1803 local fishermen reportedly saw a vessel drifting in close by waters. They say when they investigated it, "a beautiful young woman" they described as having red and white hair and dressed in strange clothes appeared. The fishermen claim she held a square box "that no one was allowed to touch" and she spoke to them in a language they never heard before. Some UFO believers think this story was a credible document of a close encounter of the third kind in Japan. Historians and Ethnologists consider it folklore.|||
|1883-08-12||José Bonilla Observation||Zacatecas Observatory, Zacatecas||Mexico||On August 12, 1883, the astronomer José Bonilla reported that he saw more than 300 dark, unidentified objects crossing the sun disk while observing sunspot activity at Zacatecas Observatory in Mexico. He was able to take several photographs, exposing wet plates at 1/100 second. It was subsequently determined that the objects were high-flying geese.|||
|1896–1897||Mystery airships||United States||Numerous reports of UFO sightings and attempted abductions that took place around the United States in a 2-year period.|||
|1897-04-17||Aurora, Texas, UFO incident||Aurora, Texas||United States||A tale of a UFO crash and a burial of its alien pilot in the local cemetery was sent to newspapers in Dallas and Fort Worth in April 1897 by local correspondent S.E. Hayden.|||
|1909||Mystery airships||Otago||New Zealand||Strange moving lights and some solid bodies in the sky were seen around Otago and elsewhere in New Zealand, and were reported to newspapers.|||
|Miracle of the Sun||Fátima, Santarém District||Portugal||Thousands of people observed the sun gyrate and descend. This was later reinterpreted by Jacques Vallée, Joaquim Fernandes and Fina d'Armada as a possible UFO sighting, but not recognized as such due to cultural differences.|||
|1940s||Foo fighters||Over World War II theaters||Small metallic spheres and colorful balls of light repeatedly spotted and occasionally photographed worldwide by bomber crews during World War II.|||
|1941||Cape Girardeau UFO crash||Cape Girardeau, Missouri||United States||First responders and a Baptist minister allegedly view crashed spacecraft and bodies. Published in 1991 based on the minister's surviving grandchild.|||
|1942-02-24||Battle of Los Angeles||Los Angeles, California||United States||Unidentified aerial objects trigger the firing of thousands of anti-aircraft rounds and raise the wartime alert status.|||
|1946||The Ghost Rockets||Mostly in Scandinavia, but also other European countries||Numerous UFO sightings were reported over Scandinavia, causing the Swedish Defense Staff to express concern.|||
|1946-05-18||UFO-Memorial Ängelholm||Ängelholm, Kristianstads County||Sweden||Gösta Karlsson reports seeing a flying saucer and its alien passengers. A model of it is now erected at the site.|||
|1947-06-21||Maury Island incident||Puget Sound near Maury Island, Washington||United States||Harold A. Dahl reported that his dog was killed and his son was injured by debris in an encounter with four to six flying doughnut-shaped objects. He also claimed that a witness was subsequently threatened by the Men in Black.|||
|1947-06-24||Kenneth Arnold UFO sighting||North of Mount Rainier, Washington||United States||The UFO sighting that sparked the name flying saucers. This sighting is considered as the start of the "Modern UFO era".|||
|1947-06/07||1947 UFO sightings||mostly Washington||United States||Several UFO sightings reported after the sighting of Kenneth Arnold.|||
|1947-06||Roswell UFO crash||about 30 mi north of Roswell, New Mexico||United States||United States Army Air Forces allegedly captured a crashed flying saucer and its alien occupants. The find was soon revealed to be a crashed balloon but regained attention since 1978 after investigation of S. T. Friedman.|||
|1948||The Green Fireballs||United States||Objects were reported over several United States military bases; an official investigation followed.|||
|1948-01-07||Thomas Mantell||Kentucky||United States||US Air Force sent a fighter pilot to investigate a UFO sighting over Fort Knox, Kentucky; his aircraft crashed and the pilot was killed while pursuing the UFO.|||
|1948-03-25||Aztec, New Mexico, UFO incident||New Mexico||United States||An alleged retrieval of a grounded UFO and its occupants from a plateau in New Mexico.|||
|1948-07-24||Chiles-Whitted UFO encounter||Alabama||United States||Chiles and Whitted, American commercial pilots, reported that their airplane had nearly collided with a UFO.|||
|1948-10-01||Gorman dogfight||North Dakota||United States||A US Air Force pilot sighted and pursued a UFO for 27 minutes over Fargo, North Dakota.|||
|1950-05-11||McMinnville UFO photographs||a farm near McMinnville, Oregon||United States||A farmer took pictures of a purported "flying saucer". These were the first claimed photographs of flying saucers since the coining of the term.|||
|1950-08-05 or 15||Mariana UFO incident||Great Falls, Montana||United States||The manager of Great Falls' pro baseball team took color film of two UFOs flying over Great Falls. The film was extensively analyzed by the US Air Force and several independent investigators.|||
|1951-08-25||Lubbock Lights||Lubbock, Texas||United States||Several Lights in V-Shaped formations were repeatedly spotted flying over the city. Witnesses included professors from Texas Tech University and photographed by a Texas Tech student.|||
|1952-07-12 to 29||1952 Washington, D.C. UFO incident||Washington, D.C.||United States||A series of sightings in July 1952 accompanied radar contacts at three separate airports in the Washington area. The sightings made front-page headlines around the nation, and ultimately lead to the formation of the Robertson Panel by the CIA.|||
|1952-07-14||Nash-Fortenberry UFO sighting||Norfolk, Virginia||United States||W. Nash and W. Fortenberry, pilots of a DC-4 airliner of Pan American Airways, sighted eight large, round, glowing red objects.|||
|1952-07-24||Carson Sink UFO incident||near Carson Sink, Nevada||United States||Two pilots saw three unusual Delta wing aircraft flying in a V-formation over Carson Sink.|||
|1952-08-05||Haneda Air Force Base||Tokyo||Japan||USAF tower operators at Haneda AFB observed an unusually bright bluish-white light to their NE, alerted the GCI radar unit at Shiroi, which then called for a scramble of an F94 interceptor after getting radar returns in same general area. GCI ground radar vectored the F94 to an orbiting unknown target, which the F94 picked up on its airborne radar. The target then accelerated out of the F94's radar range after 90 seconds of pursuit that was followed also on the Shiroi GCI radar.|||
|1952-09-12||The Flatwoods Monster||Flatwoods, West Virginia||United States||Six local boys and a woman report seeing a UFO land, and saw a spade-headed creature near the landing site.|||
|1953-08-05/06||Ellsworth UFO sighting||Rapid City, South Dakota and Bismarck, North Dakota||United States||Over two nights, a red glowing light is witnessed by 45 people.|||
|1953-11-23||The disappearance of Felix Moncla and Robert Wilson||near the Soo Locks over Lake Superior||United States/Canada||U.S. Air Force pilot and radar operator and their F-89C disappeared while pursuing an unidentified radar return.|||
|1954-10-27||Fiorentina Stadium Massive Sighting||Stadio Artemio Franchi in Florence||Italy||A football game between Fiorentina and Pistoiese was under way at the Stadio Artemio Franchi when a group of UFOs traveling at high speed abruptly stopped over the stadium. The stadium became silent as the crowd of around 10,000 spectators witnessed the event and described the UFOs as cigar shaped.|||
|1955-08-21/22||Kelly–Hopkinsville encounter||A farmhouse near Hopkinsville, Kentucky||United States||After the sighting of a disc-shaped aircraft a group of strange, goblin-like creatures are reported to have repeatedly approached a farm house and looked inside through the windows. Members of the two families present shot at them several times with little or no effect. The encounter lasted from evening to dawn.|||
|1956-07-24||Drakensberg Contactee||Drakensberg||South Africa||A well-known photo series depicting a supposed UFO, was taken on 24 July near Rosetta in the Drakensberg region. The photographer, meteorologist Elizabeth Klarer, claimed detailed adventures with an alien race, besides having had an alien lover, Akon, who would have fathered her son Ayling.|||
|1957-05-20||Milton Torres 1957 UFO Encounter||East Anglia||United Kingdom||U.S. Air Force fighter pilot Milton Torres reports that he was ordered to intercept and fire on a UFO displaying "very unusual flight patterns" over East Anglia. Ground radar operators tracked what was believed to be an unidentified aircraft for some time before Torres' plane was scrambled to intercept.|||
|1957-10-16/17||Antonio Vilas Boas Abduction||Near São Francisco de Sales, Minas Gerais||Brazil||One of the first abduction claims. Farmer Antonio Vilas Boas claimed to have been abducted and examined by humanoid aliens while working in the fields at night. He also claimed to have had sex with an alien woman aboard the egg-shaped aircraft.|||
|1957-11-02||Levelland UFO case||Levelland, Texas||United States||Numerous people describe seeing a glowing, egg-shaped object and a cigar-shaped object which caused their vehicle's engines to shut down.|||
|1958-01-16||Trindade UFO Incident||Trindade Island||Brazil||9 Separate sightings and 7 photos of UFO's were reported in the Trinidade Island during the meteorological and geological expeditions in the island.|||
|1959-02-02/03||Dyatlov Pass incident||Kholat Syakhl, Sverdlovsk Oblast||Soviet Union||Mysterious deaths of experienced cross-country skiers in the Urals are due to official investigation believed to have been caused by an unknown "compelling natural force". Some claim relation to unidentified orange spheres.|||
|1961-09-19||Betty and Barney Hill abduction||South of Lancaster on Route 3, New Hampshire||United States||The first widely publicized alien abduction experience. The Hills saw a huge flying disk while driving home in their car at late evening and later claimed they were abducted and medically examined by small extraterrestrials.|||
|1964-04-24||Lonnie Zamora incident||Socorro, New Mexico||United States||Police officer Zamora reports a close encounter.|||
|1965-09-03||The Incident at Exeter||Exeter, New Hampshire||United States||Numerous reports of UFOs in Exeter, New Hampshire.|||
|1965-07-01||The Valensole UFO incident||Valensole, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur||France||Peasant Maurice Massé saw a landed spherical object and was paralyzed by two grey alien-like occupants.|||
|1965-12-09||Kecksburg UFO incident||Kecksburg, Pennsylvania||United States||Mass sighting of a falling brilliant fireball dropping debris and causing sonic booms, followed by a cordoning-off of the probable crash site, alleged intimidation of a reporter by men in black and cover-up and the unresolved death of said witness.|||
|1966||The Mothman Prophecies||Point Pleasant, West Virginia||United States||A wave of reported sightings of a winged humanoid are connected to other mysterious events including sightings of UFOs.|||
|1966-04-06||Westall UFO||Clayton South, Victoria||Australia||A sighting reported by hundreds of people. Witnesses of "The Clayton Incident" still gather for reunions.|||
|1967-08-29||Close encounter of Cussac||Outside Cussac, Auvergne||France||A young brother and sister claimed to have witnessed a brilliant sphere and four small black occupants while herding cattle outside their village.|||
|1967-10-04||Shag Harbour UFO incident||Gulf of Maine near Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia||Canada||A large illuminated object was reported to have crashed into waters near Shag Harbour. A Canadian naval search followed, and officially referred to the object as a UFO. There were other UFO sightings in the area at the time.|||
|1969-01-06||Jimmy Carter UFO incident||Leary, Georgia||United States||Later U.S. president Jimmy Carter's sighting of a UFO, which he didn't believe to be of extraterrestrial origin and is, contrary to him, thought to be Venus.|||
|1969-04-12||Finnish Air Force sighting||Pori||Finland||Seven disc shaped objects hovering in formation around 1500–3000 meters were spotted by the airtraffic controller and two pilots. When fighter pilot Tarmo Tukeva investigated, they accelerated away.|||
|1969-09-01||Berkshire UFO sightings||Berkshire County, Massachusetts||United States||Four unrelated families alleged being abducted by a UFO and moved by a ray of light.|||
|1972-06-27||1972 UFO sightings in the eastern Cape||Fort Beaufort||South Africa||A craft was observed near Fort Beaufort in the eastern Cape, which attracted the attention of the military.|||
|1972-11-12||1972 UFO sightings in the eastern Cape||Rosmead||South Africa||A school headmaster seems to have arrived at a still smouldering UFO landing site in the town of Rosmead.|||
|1973-10-11||Pascagoula Abduction||Near Pascagoula at the Pascagoula River, Mississippi||United States||Two men fishing on the river claimed to be abducted by strange-looking humanoids.|||
|1974-01-23||Berwyn Mountain UFO incident||Llandrillo, Merionethshire, North Wales||United Kingdom||An alleged UFO crash involving lights in the sky moments before a large impact shock. The cause of the incident was however soon revealed as a 3.5 magnitude earthquake.|||
|1975-01-12||Stonehenge incident||North Bergen, New Jersey||United States||A UFO was allegedly sighted in North Hudson Park by a man, George O'Barski, while he was driving home at 2:45 AM.|||
|1975-11-05||Travis Walton||Near Turkey Springs in Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest, Arizona||United States||Logger Travis Walton reports being abducted by aliens for five days. Walton's six workmates claimed to have witnessed a bright hovering large silvery disk and fled the scene leaving him lying on the ground. He reappeared on 11–10 at late evening in Heber-Overgaard. Walton described the event and its aftermath in the book The Walton Experience (1978), which was dramatized in the film Fire in the Sky (1993) (with the scenes aboard the extraterrestrials' vessel significantly changed).|||
|1976-08-20||Allagash Abductions||Eagle Lake on the Allagash waterway, Maine||United States||Four campers claimed to have been abducted by alien beings in the Allagash wilderness.|||
|1976-09-19||1976 Tehran UFO incident||North of and in Tehran, Mazandaran and Tehran Provinces||Iran||A very bright object similar to a star was seen from Shemiran; after each approach to the UFO the electronic equipment of two F-4 interceptor aircraft of the Imperial Iranian Air Force was disabled, along with ground control equipment in Mehrabad International Airport, an event thoroughly documented in the U.S. DIA report.|||
|1977-09-20||Petrozavodsk phenomenon||Multiple locations in several countries||Soviet Union/Northern Europe||A series of celestial events of a disputed nature from Copenhagen and Helsinki in the west to Vladivostok in the east. In Petrozavodsk, a glowing object was reported that showered the city with numerous rays. The phenomenon is sometimes attributed to the launch of the Soviet satellite Kosmos-955.|||
|1977||Broad Haven||Dyfed, Wales||United Kingdom||In the 1970s, the area was the scene of alleged UFO sightings and nicknamed the Broad Haven Triangle.|||
|1978-05-10||Emilcin Abduction||Emilcin, Lublin Voivodeship||Poland||A farmer in Emilcin is said to have been abducted and medically examined by short, green-faced, humanoid entities speaking an unearthly language in a white, hovering, humming craft. There is now a memorial at the site.|||
|1978-10-21||Valentich disappearance||Victoria||Australia||Contacting air traffic control, an Australian pilot reported seeing a UFO before both he and his aircraft vanished.|||
|1978-12-21||Kaikoura lights||South Island||New Zealand||A series of sightings by a Safe Air freight plane over two nights. The airplane was escorted by lights that changed color and size. The lights were tracked by ground and air radar, and filmed in the air by a TV crew.|||
|1979-08-27||Val Johnson incident||Marshall County, Minnesota||United States||A deputy sheriff spotted a bright light which appeared to have collided with his patrol car and damaged it. The deputy also suffered temporary retinal damage.|||
|1979-11-09||Dechmont Woods Encounter||Dechmont Law near Livingston, West Lothian, Scotland||United Kingdom||Forester, Bob Taylor, was pulled by two spiked globes towards a large spheroid object, which hovered on a clearing. He lost consciousness and afterwards had trouble walking and speaking. He was also constantly thirsty for several days.|||
|1979-11-11||Manises UFO incident||Valencia, Province of Valencia||Spain||Three large UFOs forced a commercial flight to make an emergency landing at Manises Airport.|||
|1980-04-11 to 28||Arequipa UFO incident||Arequipa Region||Peru||Interception of an alleged UFO by a Sukhoi Su-22. The pilot followed the object, and aimed his weapons at the UFO, firing sixty four 30mm shells. The pilot followed the object, reporting it had an enamelled cream colour; similar to an incandescent lightbulb with a much wider circular silver base. The pilot then broke off the engagement.|||
|1980-12-24 to 28||Rendlesham-Woodbridge Incident||Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, England||United Kingdom||A sighting by USAF personnel, which at first appeared to be a downed aircraft.|||
|1980-12-29||Cash-Landrum incident||On state highway FM 1485 in New Caney, Texas||United States||A huge diamond-shaped object expelling flame and emitting heat irradiated three witnesses on an isolated road in dense woods; all required treatment for radiation poisoning. The witnesses then saw military helicopters, including CH-47 Chinooks, following. The witnesses sued the United States Government, and the case was dismissed.|||
|1981-01-08||Trans-en-Provence Case||Trans-en-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur||France||Retired contractor Renato Nicolai said he saw a flying object shaped like two inverted bowls that left circular traces on the grass.|||
|1985-12-27||Communion||New York||United States||Author Whitley Strieber claims he was abducted by aliens while at his cabin in upstate New York.|||
|1986-01-29||Height 611 UFO incident||Dalnegorsk, Primorski Krai||Soviet Union||The inhabitants of the town watched a reddish ball which crashed into a mount known as Height 611.|||
|1986-11-17||Japan Air Lines Flight 1628 incident||From eastern to south central Alaska||United States||First two square-shaped, then one apparent craft witnessed by the crew reportedly flew alongside Japan Air Lines Flight 1628 for 50 minutes above Alaska. Military radar detected an object trailing the Boeing 747.|||
|1987-11-11||Gulf Breeze UFO incident||Florida||United States||Ed Walters, a building contractor claimed to see a UFO and take photos of it.|||
|1989-09-27||Voronezh UFO incident||Voronezh||Soviet Union||A group of youths claimed to have seen a UFO and a "three eyed alien".|||
|1990-03-30||Belgian UFO wave||Ans, Wallonia||Belgium||Reports of large, silent, low-flying black triangles, allegedly investigated by Belgium's military.|||
|1991-09-15||STS-48 incident||Space Shuttle Discovery while in orbit||Outer space||Video taken during mission STS-48 shows a flash of light and several objects, apparently flying in an artificial or controlled fashion. NASA explained them as ice particles reacting to engine jets.|||
|1996-01-20||Varginha UFO incident||Varginha||Brazil||Brazilian Armed Forces allegedly captured extraterrestrial being after an UFO crash. The Brazilian government has officially denied these claims. According to a military inquest, a local man with disabilities was mistaken for an alien.|||
|1996-10-05||Westendorff UFO sighting||Pelotas||Brazil||Pilot observes a UFO emerge from a mother craft.|||
|1997-03-13||Phoenix Lights||Phoenix, Arizona||United States||Lights and craft of varying descriptions, most notably a V-shaped pattern, were seen by thousands of people between 19:30 and 22:30 MST, in a space of about 300 miles, from the Nevada line, through Phoenix, to the edge of Tucson.|||
|2004-03-05||2004 Mexican UFO incident||Mexico||A drug-smuggling air-patrol recorded on infrared camera what some claimed to be UFOs. The footage was released by Jaime Maussan. The observations were however convincingly correlated with the burn-off flares of oil platforms.|||
|2004-11-14||USS Nimitz UFO incident||Off the coast of San Diego, California||United States||Several pilots from VFA-41 squadron flying Super Hornets from the USS Nimitz, were directed by the USS Princeton to intercept one of several unidentified flying objects detected by radar. The pilots reported a visual encounter and recorded an infrared video. The Navy has verified that the video was taken by Navy personnel and has stated that it has not yet identified the nature of the sightings which they classify as unexplained aerial phenomena.|||
|2005||Fighter jets took off for an unknown object||Jaslovské Bohunice, Banská Bystrica Region||Slovakia||In 2005, fighter jets took off for an unknown object, which was to fly over the Bohunice Nuclear Power Plant. At that time, two planes observed unknown object flying over Central Slovakia. "There were two flying planes facing each other, of course at different heights. Suddenly one told us that something had just flown over the cockpit. The one who flew over him and against him, suddenly announced that something had flown very fast close to his wing. We asked if it was an airplane, he said, it didn't look like an airplane." the dispatcher said.|||
|2006-11-07||2006 O'Hare International Airport UFO sighting||Chicago, Illinois||United States||United Airlines employees and pilots claimed sightings of a saucer-shaped, unlit craft hovering over a Chicago O'Hare Airport terminal, before appearing to leave with a rapid vertical rise.|||
|2007-04-23||2007 Alderney UFO sighting||Alderney||Bailiwick of Guernsey||Two airline pilots on separate flights spot UFOs off the coast of Alderney.|||
|2007-11-28 to 2011-12-13||Dudley Dorito||West Midlands conurbation||United Kingdom||The Dudley Dorito were multiple sightings of a black triangle over the West Midlands conurbation of the United Kingdom which began in November 2007. The phrase was coined by the local press after hearing witness descriptions of the object.|||
|2008-01-08||Stephenville, Texas UFO sightings||Stephenville, Texas, Dublin, Texas, Crawford, Texas||United States||UFOs were sighted over a three county area during a four-hour period of time by some 20 witnesses. Radar data detected a reflected signal. The Air Force was doing training exercises in the Brownwood Military Operating Area during this event and their aircraft were identified on radar independent of the UFO.|||
|2008-06-20||Wales UFO sightings||different cities, Wales||United Kingdom||According to media reports, a police helicopter was almost hit by a UFO, before it tried to pursue it. Hundreds of people reported to have witnessed a UFO on the same or preceding days, from different areas of Wales.|||
|2008-10-08||Kumburgaz UFO video||Istanbul||Turkey||A UFO airship captured on camera by a night watchman at Kumburgaz. Two alien heads were said to be visible on the video.|||
|2009-01-05||Morristown UFO hoax||Morristown, New Jersey||United States||In the evening, citizens in Morristown and other town in Morris County, New Jersey saw five red lights in the sky. After three months, two men from the Morristown area announced they had organized an UFO hoax, meant as a "social experiment".|||
|2010-01-25||Harbour Mille incident||Harbour Mille, Newfoundland and Labrador||Canada||At least three UFOs that looked like missiles but emitted no noise were spotted over Harbour Mille.|||
|2014-06-02 to 2015-03-10||USS Theodore Roosevelt UFO incidents||East Coast of the United States||United States||Multiple UFO radar-visual encounters by United States Navy pilots over a period of nine months. Videos of two of the encounters were released. The Navy has verified that the videos were taken by Navy personnel and has stated that it has not yet identified the nature of the sightings which they classify as unexplained aerial phenomena.|||
|2014||Slovakia Pilot UFO sighting||Žilina, Žilina Region||Slovakia||Audio recording of the dispatcher's communication with the pilot of the cargo aircraft. The pilot asks if there is any military exercise on the ground. The dispatcher replies that there is some exercise, but it is in the eastern part of Slovakia. The pilot claims that three minutes ago they saw a rocket fly right under them, from left to right. The dispatcher checked it and had no further information. The pilot identified it as a rocket, meaning it had to have its speed, it had to have some propulsion. Dispatchers inspected military bases in Slovakia, neighboring the Czech Republic and Poland. With no result.|||
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to UFO sightings.|
- UFO sightings in outer space
- List of unexplained explosion events
- List of alleged extraterrestrial beings
- Space jellyfish, a type of UFO also containing a list of sightings.
Notes and references
- Lingeman, Richard R. (March 31, 1974). "Erich von Daniken's Genesis". New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- Budge, E. A. Wallis, Egyptian Language, Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd., London, 1966: pp. 194-196
- Vallee, Jacques; Aubek, Chris (2010). Wonders in the Sky: Unexplained Aerial Objects from Antiquity to Modern Times. Penguin. ISBN 9781101444726. Retrieved 14 July 2017 – via books.google.co.uk.
- "The History of Rome, Book 21, Chapter 62". Retrieved 2014-10-08.
- "Stothers, Richard. "Unidentified Flying Objects in Classical Antiquity" The Classical Journal 103.1 (2007) 79-92" (PDF). The Classical Journal. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-22. Retrieved 2012-10-06. p. 87
- Pliny, , on Perseus
- Plutarch, Lucullus, 8.6, on Perseus
- Kripal, Jeffrey J. (16 September 2011). Authors of the Impossible: The Paranormal and the Sacred. University of Chicago Press. pp. 153–. ISBN 978-0-226-45389-7.
- REFRESHER. "Ufológ: Slovenské stíhačky už UFO naháňali, medzi-dimenzionálna brána je neďaleko atómky v Jaslovských Bohuniciach (Rozhovor)". refresher.sk (in Slovak). Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- Kazuo Tanaka: Did a close encounter of the Third Kind occur on a Japanese beach in 1803? In: Skeptical Inquirer. Vol. 24, No. 4, Juli/August 2000, ISSN 0194-6730, p. 37–44
- Masaru Mori: The female alien in a hollow vessel. In: Fortean Times. Vol. 48, Dennis Publishing Ltd., London 1987, ISSN 0308-5899, p. 48–50.
- "A List of UFO Sightings by Astronomers". Scribd.com. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- Dash, Mike (2000), Borderlands: The Ultimate Exploration of the Unknown, Woodstock: Overlook Press, ISBN 0-87951-724-7
- Close Encounters of a Kind Time magazine
- Aurora - Can a space alien rest in peace? Houston Chronicle
- "Papers Past — Evening Post — 4 August 1921 — A MYSTERY OF 1909". Paperspast.natlib.govt.nz. 1921-08-04. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- "Papers Past — Wanganui Herald — 27 July 1909 — AN OTAGO AIRSHIP MYSTERY". Paperspast.natlib.govt.nz. 1909-07-27. Retrieved 2012-09-22.
- Joaquim Fernandes and Fina d'Armada, Heavenly Lights 2005
- Joaquim Fernandes and Fina d'Armada, Celestial Secrets 2007
- Joaquim Fernandes, Fernando Fernandes and Raul Berenguel, Fatima Revisited 2008
- "Foo-Fighter". Time. 1945-01-15. Retrieved 2008-07-03.
- Stevens, Henry (2003-02-01). Hitler's Flying Saucers. ISBN 9781931882132.
- Wood, Ryan S. "The First Roswell: Evidence For A Crash Retrieval In Cape Girardeau Missouri In 1941" (PDF). MUFON. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "Missouri's UFO crash preceded Roswell by six years". The Ozarks Sentinel. Archived from the original on 2012-05-23. Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- Brantley, Holly (August 3, 2012). "Close encounters of the Heartland kind". KFVS12.
- L.A. 'Battle' Launched a Golden Age of UFOs Los Angeles Times:
- Science in the Early Twentieth Century - Jacob Darwin Hamblin - 2005
- The Rough Guide to Sweden: James Proctor & Neil Roland
- Sheaffer, Robert. "The First "Flying Saucer" Sighting - Kenneth Arnold Mt. Rainier, Washington - June 24, 1947". The Debunker's Domain. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
- Saucers in the sky BBC News Magazine:
- Swords, Powell (2012). UFOs and Government: A Historical Inquiry. Anomalist Books. pp. 32–33, 35, 38–39. ISBN 978-1-938398-15-5.
- Report on Roswell 'UFO crash' due soon CNN
- Edgar Mitchell#Views on UFOs
- Mysterious Green Fireballs, UFOs, And The "Roswell Incident" Archived 2009-08-22 at the Wayback Machine Committee for Skeptical Inquiry
- Clyde Tombaugh#Interest in UFOs
- Captain Thomas Francis Mantell Jr. Archived July 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine National Guard History eMuseum
- Irvin, Leigh (March 28, 2012). "Aztec UFO landing subject of new book". Farmington Daily Times. New Mexico. Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Clark, Jerome (1998). The UFO Book: Encyclopedia of the Extraterrestrial.
- Clark, Jerome (2003). Strange Skies: Pilot Encounters with UFOs. Citadel Press. p. 66. ISBN 0-8065-2299-2.
- The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects Edward J. Ruppelt
- The Trent Farm Photos Archived 2013-03-21 at the Wayback Machine Dr. Bruce Maccabee Research Website
- The Mariana UFO Incident Great Falls Tribune
- Some Lubbock Residents Spot A UFO Traveling Across Texas Archived 2017-12-28 at the Wayback Machine KCBD News Channel
- Something in the air: 50 years ago, UFOs streaked over D.C. The Seattle Times
- Swords, Powell (2012). UFOs and Government: A Historical Inquiry. Anomalist Books. pp. 153–163. ISBN 978-1-938398-15-5.
- "UFO Report". www.nicap.org. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Swords, Powell (2012). UFOs and Government: A Historical Inquiry. Anomalist Books. pp. 149–50, 220. ISBN 978-1-938398-15-5.
- The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects Edward J. Ruppelt
- (PDF). 1969-12-27 https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5cf80ff422b5a90001351e31/t/5d092d4990f93c000119785c/1560882508023/scienceindefault.pdf. Retrieved 2020-07-17. Missing or empty
- "The Legend of the Flatwoods Monster". Wvculture.org. 2002-09-12. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- The Phantom of Flatwoods Braxton Citizens' News
- Flatwoods monster meets with Mothman at UFO extravaganza The Register-Herald
- The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects Edward J. Ruppelt
- Airmen's disappearance remains a mystery Archived 2009-01-03 at the Wayback Machine Wisconsin State Journal:
- "The day UFOs hovered over Fiorentina's Stadio Artemio Franchi".
- "The day UFOs stopped play".
- Siege of 'Little Green Men' - The 1955 Kelly, Kentucky, Incident Archived 2009-08-14 at the Wayback Machine Skeptical Inquirer
- Hind, Cynthia (March 1992). "Woman takes photo of flying saucer". UFO Afrinews. 5: 28.
- "Letter to the Ministry of Defence, London" (PDF). 1988. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- They came from out'a spaceThe Independent Archived 2009-01-03 at the Wayback Machine
- A FRESH LOOK AT FLYING SAUCERS Time magazine
- Swords, Powell (2012). UFOs and Government: A Historical Inquiry. Anomalist Books. pp. 252–55, 263. ISBN 978-1-938398-15-5.
- "Trindade Island's UFO". Cohenufo.org. Archived from the original on 2012-10-15. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Morford, Mark (2008-02-27). "How creepy to you want it?". sfgate.com. SFGate. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- Testament for Believers Time magazine
- City plans to make UFO site into tourist attraction Archived 2011-07-18 at Archive.today El Defensor Chieftain
- Norman Muscarello Recalls His UFO Incident at Exeter SeacoastNH
- Denzler, Brenda (2001), The Lure of the Edge: Scientific Passions, Religious Beliefs, and the Pursuit of UFOs, University of California Press, pp. 39–, ISBN 978-0-520-93027-8
- Narváez, Peter (1997), The Good People: New Fairylore Essays, University Press of Kentucky, pp. 484–, ISBN 0-8131-0939-6
- NASA to search files on '65 UFO incident NBC News
- Coleman, Loren (December 2001). Mothman and Other Curious Encounters. Paraview.com Inc. ISBN 978-1931044349.
- "Academic throws light on 40-year-old UFO mystery". The Age. Melbourne. 2005-10-02. Retrieved 2007-02-13.
- French Get a Look at Nation's UFO Files Washington Post
- Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia Library and Archives of Canada
- Canadian Department of National Defence Memo Library and Archives of Canada
- Carter files report on UFO sighting Archived 2010-02-09 at the Wayback Machine History.com
- "Ruotuväki: Ilmavoimien lentäjät tekivät merkittävän ufo-havainnon 60-luvulla". is.fi. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Stolworthy, Jacob (July 3, 2020). "Berkshire UFO sightings: Unsolved Mysteries episode is spooking viewers – but what happened next?". Independent.co.uk. Retrieved January 8, 2021.
- Breytenbach, Willem (1997-06-27). "Fort Beaufort se VVV". Beeld newspaper. p. 13.
- Hind, Cynthia (1982). UFO's - African Encounters. Gemini. ISBN 0-7974-0533-X.
- Vike, Brian (2007-08-27). "Breaside Fort Beaufort, South Africa - South African Police Fire At UFO". HBCC UFO Research. American Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2012-03-22. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- Macgregor, David (1997-07-08). "Farmer shoots at UFO in 1972". Sunday Independent. Archived from the original on 2007-02-24. Retrieved 2009-06-14.
- Hind, Cynthia (July 1988). "Comment". UFO Afrinews. 1: 6–10.
- Spencer, John (1991). World Atlas of UFOs. Hamlyn Publishing Group, London. p. 149.
- Spencer, John (1993). The UFO Encyclopedia. Avon Books, New York. p. 297.
- Conspiracy Theories in American History - Peter Knight
- R. M. W. Musson, 2006. The enigmatic Bala earthquake of 1974, Astronomy & Geophysics, vol. 47 no 5, pp 11–15.
- Berwyn Mountains Incident BBC
- "The "Stonehenge" incident of January 1975" (PDF). ignaciodarnaude.com. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Booth, Billy. "1976-The Allagash Alien Abduction". Retrieved 2008-12-28.
- Fowler, Raymond E. (1993). "The Allagash Abductions". UFO Evidence. Archived from the original on 2013-04-08. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- UFOs are not just a case of science fiction, say pilots Irish Independent
- "A History of State UFO Research in the USSR". Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. December 2000. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- Bourton, Tom (5 July 2007). "New details on UFO case revealed". BBC News. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- "Archive: Dyfed Triangle UFO sighting from 1970s". BBC News. 12 July 2012.
- Young Polish artist Hubert Czerepok reflects on visit of those Strange Tourists from the cosmos Kraków Post
- Pilot spots 'UFO' over Guernsey BBC
- Victoria's own X-File unsolved 30 years on Brisbane Times
- "We are not alone: lights in the sky". Waikato Times. July 27, 2007. Archived from the original on September 18, 2012. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- Back on the radar Los Angeles Times
- The Minnesota Book of Days Tony Greiner
- "Obituary: Robert Taylor". The Economist. 2007-03-29. Retrieved 2007-03-29.
- The Anomaly Foundation Solves the "Manises" UFO Case fundacion anomalia
- The only man to ever shoot at a UFO, News.com.au, 30 December 2015
- Piloto se "enfrentó" a OVNI en Arequipa, La Republica, 14 October 2008
- UFOs - Rendlesham, Suffolk BBC
- "CASH-LANDRUM CASE" REPORTED TO SHOW SEVERE PHYSICAL EFFECTS Archived 2008-12-22 at the Wayback Machine CSICOP – The Klass Files
- "When UFOs Land". Popular Mechanics. Hearst Magazines. May 2001. pp. 66–. ISSN 0032-4558. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- Maslin, Janet (November 10, 1989). "Communion, A True Story". New York Times.
- FAA Checking into "UFO" Over Alaska Daily Sitka Sentinel, 5 Jan 1987
- Sheaffer, Robert. "A Model UFO Debunking". Skeptical Inquirer, September/October 2007. Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Hines, Terence (2003). Pseudoscience and the Paranormal. Prometheus Books, Publishers. pp. 260–. ISBN 978-1-61592-085-3.
- "Ellensburg Daily Record - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "SUNDAY EXPRESS Newspaper, September 17, 1995". Retrieved 2008-03-21.
- Plait, Philip C. (2002). Bad Astronomy. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0-471-40976-6.
- "forgetomori " The Varginha Incident: Case Closed?".
- Westendorff UFO sighting at Revista Vigília
- "Drawing of the object supposedly seen by Westendorff". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2020-01-21.
- "Westendorff UFO sighting at Nonsoloufo". Archived from the original on 2013-10-03. Retrieved 2020-01-21.
- "A video of the incident, with testmonials of Westendorff and other people linked with the incident". Archived from the original on 2012-02-22. Retrieved 2020-01-21.
- Price, Richard (1997-06-18). "Arizonans say the truth about UFO is out there" (PDF). USA Today. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- Symington, Fife (November 9, 2007). "Symington: I saw a UFO in the Arizona sky". CNN.
- Smith, James C. (July 24, 2004). "The Mexican Air Force UFO Affair: Aliens, Ball Lightning, or Flares?". Skeptic. Retrieved 2007-05-13.
- Cooper, Helene; Kean, Leslie; Blumenthal, Ralph (16 December 2017). "2 Navy Airmen and an Object That 'Accelerated Like Nothing I've Ever Seen'". Retrieved 19 December 2017 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Navy pilot recalls encounter with UFO: 'I think it was not from this world'". ABC News. 18 December 2017. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- Rosenberg, Eli (18 December 2017). "Former Navy pilot describes UFO encounter studied by secret Pentagon program". Retrieved 19 December 2017 – via www.washingtonpost.com.
- Migaľ, Samuel. "Okolo lietadla nad Slovenskom preletelo UFO! Tu je dôkaz..." www.noviny.sk. Retrieved 2021-01-22.
- "'UFO' spooks pilots over Chicago". The Age. Melbourne. 2007-01-02. Retrieved 2007-02-13.
- de Woolfson, Joel (April 26, 2007). "Pilot's UFO shock". This is Guernsey. Archived from the original on 2018-07-22. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- "Shape of things to come?" Express & Star, (Wolverhampton) dated 11 January 2008. Recovered on 13 April 2008.
- "Is there plane truth behind the UFOs?" Express & Star, (Wolverhampton) dated 16 January 2008. Recovered on 13 April 2008.
- "UFOs? Nope. They were fighter jets, Air Force says" CNN.com. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- UFO spotted by police helicopter BBC
- "09-04-01". skeptic.com. 1 April 2009. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "DND, RCMP mum on UFO mystery". CBC News. 2010-01-27.
- Little, Becky. "Navy Confirms UFO Videos Are Real and Show Unidentified Aerial Phenomena". HISTORY. Retrieved 2020-02-15.
- Cooper, Helene; Blumenthal, Ralph; Kean, Leslie (2019-05-26). "'Wow, What Is That?' Navy Pilots Report Unexplained Flying Objects". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-02-15.
- Migaľ, Samuel. "Okolo lietadla nad Slovenskom preletelo UFO! Tu je dôkaz..." www.noviny.sk. Retrieved 2021-01-22.