Strange Clouds (song)
|Single by B.o.B featuring Lil Wayne|
|from the album Strange Clouds|
|Released||September 27, 2011|
|Producer(s)||Dr. Luke, Cirkut|
|B.o.B singles chronology|
|Lil Wayne singles chronology|
"Strange Clouds" is a song by American hip hop recording artist B.o.B, featuring fellow American rapper Lil Wayne and produced by Dr. Luke and Cirkut. The song was announced by Atlantic Records to be released on iTunes on September 27, 2011. The song serves as the lead single from his second studio album of the same name. In its first week, it sold 197,000 digital copies, debuting at #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song has sold over 1.3 million digital copies worldwide.
Before the song's release B.o.B. performed the song at concert on three different occasions. He debuted the song at Colorado in late August 2011, then performed the track again in Syracuse, New York on September 13, 2011 and on September 20, 2011, at Tennessee Tech University. On September 23, 2011, B.o.B released a trailer through his official website, depicting him in the studio playing the song. The song was written by Bobby Ray Simmons, Jr., Dwayne Carter, Lukasz Gottwald and Henry Walter and was produced by Dr. Luke and Cirkut. It contains elements of dubstep and electro-hop. The official cover art for the single was released on September 26, 2011, on B.o.B's official website. The cover depicts an open grassy landscape on the bottom portion of the cover and a large open sky with a central mystical entity that resembles a nebula centered in the sky above. B.o.B included the song on his eighth mixtape, E.P.I.C (Every Play Is Crucial).
The official remix to "Strange Clouds" was released 12 January 2012 and features fellow Atlanta rappers T.I. and Young Jeezy. The remix maintains the original production from Dr. Luke, however B.o.B performs a new verse and a slightly modified chorus.
The second official remix featured rappers Tech N9ne and Kid Cudi. It was mentioned on February 6, 2012 by Tech N9ne through his official blog and a tweet reply to a fan on his Twitter account. It was later confirmed on April 5, 2012 by B.o.B through a tweet reply to a fan on his Twitter account. The song was almost performed live during a January 2012 concert in Australia where Tech N9ne and Kid Cudi were both performing, but the performance never happened due to a stalker threatening Tech N9ne during the show. Although the remix has been recorded, it has not yet been released. It is not clear as to if the remix will ever see the light of day.
On the week of October 10, 2011 the song debuted at number seven on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 making it the "Hot Shot Debut" of the week. In the first week of the song's release it sold 197,000 digital copies debuting at number three on the U.S. Hot Digital Songs. "Strange Clouds" marks his best debut sales week for a single, previously held by the 137,000 launch of "Airplanes" on May 1, 2010. As of February 9, 2012, "Strange Clouds" has been certified platinum by the RIAA.
Charts and certifications
|United States||September 27, 2011||Digital download||Atlantic Records|||
- "Twitter: Atlantic Records". Atlantic Records. 2011-09-26. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "J. Cole Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200, Blink-182 Snags No. 2". billboard.com. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Strange Clouds ft. Lil Wayne [Trailer] - B.o.B Official Blog". B.o.B Official Website. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Strange Clouds". Bobatl.com. 2011-09-26. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- Ganz, Caryn (12 October 2011). "Song Review, "Strange Clouds"". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Tech N9ne Reveals Feature On New 'Strange Clouds' Remix [Social]". therealtechn9ne.com. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Tech N9ne on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "B.o.B on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- brichatl (1 February 2012). "B.o.B - Strange Clouds remix feat. T.I. & Young Jeezy". Retrieved 23 April 2018 – via YouTube.
- "J. Cole Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200, Blink-182 Snags No. 2". Billboard, Keith Caulfield, L.A. 2011-10-05. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- ""Strange Clouds" is Platinum". bobatl.com. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- "Chartifacts - Week Commencing: 10th October 2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on October 11, 2011. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- "Charts.nz – B.o.B – Strange Clouds". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swisscharts.com – B.o.B – Strange Clouds". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "B.o.B Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "B.o.B Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "B.o.B Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard.
- "B.o.B Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "American single certifications – B.o.B – Strange Clouds". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- . iTunes.com. Retrieved September 29, 2011.