|• Total||683.94 km2 (264.07 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,400/km2 (3,600/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
Purba Medinipur district is divided into the following administrative subdivisions:
|Purba Medinipur district||Tamluk||4,713.00||5,095,875||91.71||8.29|
Haldia subdivision has 6 police stations, 5 community development blocks, 5 panchayat samitis, 38 gram panchayats, 320 mouzas, 312 (+ 1 partly) inhabited villages, 1 municipality and 4 census towns. The municipality is: Haldia. The census towns are: Garh Kamalpur, Nandigram, Ashadtalya and Barda. The subdivision has its headquarters at Haldia.
Haldia subdivision has an area of 683.94 km2, population in 2011 of 959,934 and density of population of 1,404 per km2. 18.84% 0f the population of the district resides in this subdivision.
Police stations in Haldia subdivision have the following features and jurisdiction:
|Police Station||Area covered
|Inter-state border||Municipal Town||CD Block|
|Nandigram||251.25||-||-||Nandigram I, Nandigram II|
*The data for area is as per the website of Purba Medinipur Police, but it appears that it has not been updated for a long time.
|SC %||ST %||Literacy
- Mahishadal block: Amritaberia, Itamogra–I, Laksha–I, Natshal–I, Betkundu, Itamogra–II, Laksha–II, Satish Samanta, Garh Kamalpur, Kismat Naikundi and Natshal–I.
- Nandigram I block: Daudpur, Kalicharanpur, Nandigram, Bhakutia, Gokulnagar, Kendumari Jalpai, Samsabad, Haripur, Mahammadpur and Sona Chura.
- Nandigram II block: Amdabad–I, Birulia, Boyal–II, Khodambari–II, Amdabad–II, Boyal–I and Khodambari–I.
- Sutahata block: Ashadtalia, Guaberia, Joynagar, Chaitanyapur, Horkhali and Kukrahati.
- Haldia block: Baruttarhingli, Deulpota, Chakdwipa and Devog.
Haldia Dock Complex is an all-weather riverine port, 60 km from the pilotage station, with an annual capacity of 41.71 million tonnes. It comprises 3 riverine oil jetties, 14 berths inside an impounded dock and two riverine barge jetties. It was commissioned in 1977.
Haldia oil refinery
Haldia urban industrial complex
Haldia petro-chemical complex is one of the largest in India. It is a major industry which created jobs directly and indirectly in and around Haldia. Haldia Petrochemicals is the lead compny. Amongst the other companies operating in the Haldia urban industrial complex are: Exide, Shaw Wallace, Tata Chemicals, Hindustan Lever and Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation.
With a literacy rate of 87.66% Purba Medinipur district ranked first amongst all districts of West Bengal in literacy as per the provisional figures of the census of India 2011. Within Purba Medinipur district, Tamluk subdivision had a literacy rate of 85.98%, Haldia subdivision 86.67%, Egra subdivision 86.18% and Contai subdivision 89.19%. All CD Blocks and municipalities in the district had literacy levels above 80%.
Given in the table below (data in numbers) is a comprehensive picture of the education scenario in Purba Medinipur district for the year 2013-14.
|Purba Medinipur district||3,253||219,794||293||32,965||261||159,032||397||466,093||19||44,241||45||10,759||7,974||375,042|
Note: Primary schools include junior basic schools; middle schools, high schools and higher secondary schools include madrasahs; technical schools include junior technical schools, junior government polytechnics, industrial technical institutes, industrial training centres, nursing training institutes etc.; technical and professional colleges include engineering colleges, polytechnics, medical colleges, para-medical institutes, management colleges, teachers training and nursing training colleges, law colleges, art colleges, music colleges etc. Special and non-formal education centres include sishu siksha kendras, madhyamik siksha kendras, centres of Rabindra mukta vidyalaya, recognised Sanskrit tols, institutions for the blind and other handicapped persons, Anganwadi centres, reformatory schools etc.
The following institutions are located in Haldia subdivision:
- Mahishadal Raj College at Mahishadal was established in 1946. In addition to courses in arts, science and commerce, it offers post-graduate courses in Bengali and chemistry.
- Mahishadal Girls College at Mahishadal was established in 1969. It offers courses in arts and science.
- Sitananda College at Nandigram was established in 1960. It offers courses in arts and science.
- Haldia Government College at Haldia was established in 1988. In addition to regular courses in arts and science, it offers a post-graduate course in Travel and Tourism Management.
- Haldia Law College at Haldia was established in 2002. It offers (1) Five-year integrated B.A.-Ll.B. (Hons), (2) Three-year Ll.B. and (3) Two-year Ll.M. courses.
- Haldia Institute of Technology at Haldia is a private-initiated engineering college offering degree courses. It was established in 1995.
- Vivekananda Mission Mahavidyalaya at PO Chaitanyapur, Haldia was established in 1968. It offers courses in arts, science and commerce.
- ICARE Institute of Medical Sciences and Research at Banbishnupur, PO Balughata, offers MBBS courses. It has been facing some administrative problems.
The table below (all data in numbers) presents an overview of the medical facilities available and patients treated in the hospitals, health centres and sub-centres in 2014 in Purba Medinipur district.
|Subdivision||Health & Family Welfare Deptt, WB||Other
|Purba Medinipur district||5||3||22||51||-||-||-||132||213||3,486||293||172,251||3,319,411|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Vidhan Sabha constituency||Reservation||CD Block and/or Gram panchayats|
|Ghatal||Panskura Paschim||None||Panskura CD Block|
|Other assembly segments in Paschim Medinipur district|
|Tamluk||Tamluk||None||Tamluk municipality, Bishnubarh II, Pipulberia I, Pipulberia II and Uttar Sonamui gram panchayats of Tamluk CD Block, and Sahid Matangini CD Block|
|Panskura Purba||None||Kolaghat CD Block|
|Moyna||None||Moyna CD Block, Anantapur I, Anantapur II, Nilkunthia, Sreerampur I and Sreerampur II GPs of Tamluk CD Block|
|Nandakumar||None||Nandakumar CD Block and Bishnubarh I, Padumpur I and Padumpur II GPs of Tamluk CD Block|
|Mahisadal||None||Mahisadal and Haldia CD Blocks|
|Haldia||SC||Haldia municipality and Sutahata CD Block|
|Nandigram||None||Nandigram I and Nandigram II CD Blocks|
|Kanthi||Chandipur||None||Chandipur CD Block and Benodia, Bivisanpur, Gurgram, Kakra, Mahammadpur I and Mahammadpur II GPs of Bhagabanpur I CD Block|
|Paashpur||None||Patashpur I CD Block; Khargram, Panchet, Pataspur, South Khanda and Sreerampur gram panchayats of Patashpur II CD Block|
|Kanthi Uttar||None||Deshapran CD Block, Brajachauli, Debendra, Kanaidighi, Kumirda, Lauda and Marishda GPs of Contai III CD Block and Bathuari GP of Egra II CD Block|
|Bhagabanpur||None||Bhagabanpur, Kajlagarh, Kotbarh and Shimulia GPs of Bhagabanpur I CD Block, Arjunnagar, Basudevberia, Baroj, Itaberia, Jukhia, Mugberia and Radhapur GPs of Bhagabanpur II CD Block, and Argoyal and Mathura GPs of Patashpur II CD Block|
|Khejuri||SC||Khejuri I and Khejuri II CD Blocks, and Garbari I and Garbari II GPs of Bhagabanpur II CD Block|
|Kanthi Dakshin||None||Contai municipality, Contai I CD Block, and Durmuth and Kusumpur GPs of Contai III CD Block|
|Ramnagar||None||Ramnagar I and Ramnagar II CD Blocks|
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.2, 2.4(a). Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.1. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Directory of District, Sub division, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal, March 2008". West Bengal. National Informatics Centre, India. 2008-03-19. Archived from the original on February 25, 2009. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Tables 2.1, 2.2,. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Directory of District, Subdivision, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal". Paschim Medinipur - Revised in March 2008. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Haldia Dock Complex". Features. Kolkata Port Trust. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Haldia Refinery". Indian Oil Corporation. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "District Human Development Report: Purba Medinipur" (PDF). Chapter I Introduction. Development and Planning Department, Government of West Bengal, 2011. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Haldia at a glance". Haldia Tourism and Industrial Development. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Provisional Population Totals Paper 1 of 2011 : West Bengal". Statement-4 Ranking of Districts by Literacy Rate in 2001 and 2011. Office of the Registrar General and & Census Commissioner, India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Basic data: Table 4.4, 4.5, Clarifications: other related tables. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Mahishadal Raj College". Mahishadal Raj College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahishadal Raj College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahishadal Girls College". Mahishadal Girls College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahishadal Girls College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Sitananda College". Sitananda College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Sitananda College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Haldia Government College". Haldia Government College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Haldia Government College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Haldia Law College". Haldia Law College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Haldia Institute of Technology". HIT. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Vivekananda Mission Mahavidyalaya". vmm. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Icare Institute of Medical Sciences and Research". Icare Institute. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Haldia medial college gets court breather". The Times of India, 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 3.1, 3.3. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). West Bengal. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 25 October 2016.