|Genre||Fan convention, multi-genre|
|Venue||Suffolk County Community College, Grant Campus|
|Location(s)||Brentwood, New York|
|Organized by||ICON Science Fiction, Inc.|
I-CON (short for "Island CONvention") is a [roughly] annual fan convention, held on various college campuses in Suffolk County, Long Island, New York. First held in 1982 on the campus of Stony Brook University (then State University of New York at Stony Brook), I-CON became a very eclectic convention. The programming included things normally found at different types of convention, like speeches by and talks with science fiction authors, extensive gaming, anime fandom, comics fandom, furry fandom, multiple movie showings, and medieval programming, as well as live performances. There was also a science track discussing recent developments in various branches of science and exploring the real science behind science fiction technologies. I-CON was jointly held by ICON Science Fiction, Inc., a tax-exempt educational foundation, and the I-CON Campus Chapter of Stony Brook.
I-CON was preceded by SUNYcon (April 14, 1973), Mudcon (May 8, 1977), and Brookcon (October 28–30, 1977), held on the Stony Brook campus.
I-CON was held annually from 1983 through 2012 at Stony Brook University, except for 2009, when it relocated temporarily to the Brentwood campus of Suffolk County Community College, due to planned construction at Stony Brook University.
In the spring of 2012, I-CON was informed that the Stony Brook Sports Complex would be unavailable due to construction in 2013. ICON Science Fiction, Inc. scouted several possible locations on Long Island as an alternative venue, eventually entering into an agreement with Hofstra University. Due to many compounding issues including finances and delays caused by Hurricane Sandy, the board decided to postpone I-CON 32, with plans to raise funds via smaller events and return in 2014, but made no announcements about future dates.
I-CON ran smaller conventions, LI-CON, in 2014 and 2015, at other venues on Long Island.
No plans have been announced on the websites. There was no I-CON in 2018.
|March 29-30, 2014||Best Western Mill River Manor|
Rockville Centre, NY
|August 14-16, 2015||Clarion Hotel and Conference Center|
- "I-CON". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2012-03-01.
- "I-CON Media Guests archive". iconsf.org. Archived from the original on 2001-04-05.
- "I-CON 22". iconsf.org. Archived from the original on 2003-02-12.
- "I-CON 22". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2016-12-24.
- "I-CON 23". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "I-CON 24". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "I-CON 25". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "I-CON 26". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "I-CON 27". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "I-CON 28". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- "I-CON 29". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2010-03-22.
- "I-CON 30". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2011-05-01.
- "I-CON 31". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "I-CON 32". iconsf.org. Retrieved 2016-12-24.
- "LI-CON 2". Retrieved 2018-04-11.