Inspector Montalbano (TV series)
|Il commissario Montalbano|
|Created by||Andrea Camilleri|
|Country of origin||Italy|
|Original language(s)||Italian, Sicilian|
|No. of series||11|
|No. of episodes||30|
|Running time||100 minutes|
|Original release||6 May 1999|
Inspector Montalbano (Italian: Il commissario Montalbano [il kommisˈsaːrjo montalˈbaːno]) is an Italian television series produced and broadcast by RAI since 1999, based on the detective novels of Andrea Camilleri. The protagonist is commissario (Inspector) Salvo Montalbano, and the stories are set in the imaginary town of Vigàta, Sicily. In 2012 the series generated a prequel, Il giovane Montalbano (English: The Young Montalbano).
Salvo Montalbano, the police chief inspector of Vigàta, is a gruff character who is responsible and serious at work, but often also open and friendly with people he knows he can trust. Montalbano finds he must investigate various criminal acts in his area, for which—thanks to his great intelligence and the help of numerous assistants, even outside the police—he always manages to reconstruct the exact events and to find a solution. Among his colleagues are his deputy, Mimi Augello, Inspector Giuseppe Fazio, the awkward policeman Agatino Catarella, and other officers of the police station. Otherwise, among his external collaborators are his friend Ingrid Sjostrom, the journalist Niccolò Zito and, more rarely, Adelina, his cook. In his private life, Salvo carries on a long-distance relationship with Livia Burlando, with whom he has a sometimes tempestuous relationship but in which love always prevails.
- Luca Zingaretti as commissario Salvo Montalbano, chief inspector of police in Vigàta
- Cesare Bocci as vice-commissario Domenico "Mimì" Augello, Montalbano's deputy and close friend
- Peppino Mazzotta as ispettore Giuseppe Fazio, detective inspector and Montalbano's right-hand man
- Angelo Russo as agente Agatino Catarella, police officer
- Sonia Bergamasco as Livia Burlando (season 10-), Montalbano's eternal girlfriend, who lives in Genoa and sometimes visits Vigàta—previously played by Katharina Böhm (seasons 1–4) and Lina Perned (sv) (season 9), both voiced by Claudia Catani
- Davide Lo Verde as agente Galluzzo, police officer
- Marcello Perracchio as Dottor Pasquano, Vigàta's local coroner
- Roberto Nobile as Nicolò Zito, journalist of local TV station Rete Libera and trusted friend of Montalbano
- Carmelinda Gentile as Beatrice "Beba" di Leo, Mimì Augello's girlfriend and later wife.
- Isabell Sollman as Ingrid Sjostrom, Montalbano's Swedish friend
- Giacinto Ferro as questore Bonetti-Alderighi, Montalbano's superior in the provincial capital, Montelusa
- Francesco Sineri as Don Balduccio Sinagra, former Mafia boss, now retired to private life
- Giovanni Guardiano as Jacomuzzi, police forensics specialist in Vigàta
- Francesco Stella as agente Gallo, police officer
- Marco Cavallaro as agente Tortorella, police officer
- Mirella Petralia as Adelina Cirrinciò, Montalbano's housekeeper and cook
- Fabio Costanzo (actor) as Pasquale Cirrinciò, Adelina's son, burglar and informant to Montalbano
- Filippo Brazzaventre as Filippo Ragonese (seasons 4-9), political journalist at local TV station Televigàta and bitter enemy of Montalbano - previously played by Ubaldo Lo Presti (seasons 1-2)
- Corrado Invernizzi as Lattes, Bonetti-Alderighi's secretary
Series and episodes
|Series||Episode #||Italian airdate||Italian TV title||English novel title||English TV title||UK airdate||UK ratings|
|Series 1||01||6 May 1999||Il Ladro di Merendine||The Snack Thief||The Snack Thief||11 February 2012||640,000|
|02||13 May 1999||La Voce del Violino||The Voice of the Violin||The Voice of the Violin||18 February 2012||721,000|
|Series 2||03||2 May 2000||La Forma dell'Acqua||The Shape of Water||The Shape of Water||25 February 2012||744,000|
|04||9 May 2000||Il Cane di Terracotta||The Terracotta Dog||The Mystery of the Terracotta Dog||3 March 2012||664,000|
|Series 3||05||9 May 2001||La Gita a Tindari||Excursion to Tindari||Excursion to Tindari||13 December 2008||680,000|
|06||16 May 2001||Il Tocco dell'Artista||(Short Story)||The Artist's Touch||17 March 2012||628,000|
|Series 4||07||28 October 2002||Il Senso del Tatto||(Short Stories)||The Sense of Touch||24 March 2012||719,000|
|08||4 November 2002||Gli Arancini di Montalbano||(Short story)||Montalbano's Croquettes||15 December 2008||629,000|
|09||11 November 2002||L'Odore della Notte||The Scent of the Night||The Scent of the Night||7 April 2012||773,000|
|10||18 November 2002||Gatto e Cardellino||(Short Story)||The Goldfinch and the Cat||14 April 2012||677,000|
|Series 5||11||22 September 2005||Il Giro di Boa||Rounding the Mark||Turning Point||25 August 2012||937,000|
|12||29 September 2005||Par Condicio||(Short Story)||Equal Time||1 September 2012||926,000|
|Series 6||13||7 March 2006||La Pazienza del Ragno||The Patience of the Spider||The Patience of the Spider||8 September 2012||681,000|
|14||13 March 2006||Il Gioco delle Tre Carte||Telescript only||The Game of Three Cards||15 September 2012||713,000|
|Series 7||15||2 November 2008||La Vampa d'Agosto||August Heat||August Flame||22 September 2012||790,000|
|16||3 November 2008||Le Ali della Sfinge||The Wings of the Sphinx||The Wings of the Sphinx||29 September 2012||821,000|
|17||10 November 2008||La Pista di Sabbia||The Track of Sand||The Track of Sand||6 October 2012||701,000|
|18||17 November 2008||La Luna di Carta||The Paper Moon||Paper Moon||13 October 2012||810,000|
|Series 8||19||14 March 2011||Il Campo del Vasaio||The Potter's Field||The Potter's Field||3 November 2012||898,000|
|20||21 March 2011||La Danza del Gabbiano||The Dance of the Seagull||The Gull's Dance||27 October 2012||838,000|
|21||28 March 2011||La Caccia al Tesoro||The Treasure Hunt||Treasure Hunt||10 November 2012||874,000|
|22||4 April 2011||L'età del Dubbio||The Age of Doubt||The Age of Doubt||20 October 2012||867,000|
|Series 9||23||15 April 2013||Il sorriso di Angelica||Angelica's Smile||Angelica's Smile||19 October 2013||910,000|
|24||22 April 2013||Il gioco degli specchi||Game of Mirrors||Hall of Mirrors||26 October 2013||960,000|
|25||29 April 2013||Una voce di notte||A Voice in the Night||A Voice in the Night||2 November 2013||980,000|
|26||6 May 2013||Una lama di luce||A Beam of Light||A Ray of Light||9 November 2013||1,080,000|
|Series 10||27||29 February 2016||Una faccenda delicata||(Short story)||A Delicate Matter|
|28||7 March 2016||La piramide di fango||Not translated yet||The Mud Pyramid|
|Series 11||29||27 February 2017||Un covo di vipere||Not translated yet|
|30||6 March 2017||Come voleva la prassi||Telescript only|
Other 2 episodes are expected to be released in 2018.
The Series 10 episodes (27 and 28)—"A Delicate Matter" and "The Mud Pyramid"—were released for streaming by MHz Networks on June 28, 2016.
Given the success of the novels Rai commissioned a television series, in co-operation with Sweden's Sveriges Television, of most of the novels and short stories. Each closely follows the plot of the novels, in some cases joining several short stories. Alberto Sironi has directed the entire series. Luca Zingaretti had to adjust his accent to Sicilian having been born in Rome. Camilleri was teaching at the time when Zingaretti was studying at the Accademia Nazionale di Arte Drammatica Silvio D'Amico. Austrian actress Katharina Böhm plays his girlfriend Livia, dubbed by Claudia Catani, while Cesare Bocci plays his deputy, and Peppino Mazzotta plays his most trusted detective Fazio.
Although Camilleri set his books in a fictionalized version of the province of Agrigento, much of the show is filmed in the province of Ragusa. The exteriors in some episodes, such as de la Mànnara (Fornace Penna) were actually filmed in Sampieri, while Montalbano's headquarters are in Scicli, as are the offices of Commissioner Bonetti-Alderighi (actually that of the mayor of Scicli). Other scenes were filmed in Ragusa Ibla, Modica, Donnafugata Castle, the port of Donnalucata, Marina di Ragusa, Comiso, Santa Croce Camerina, and other sites in south-eastern Sicily. The opening shots of the programme also show Guerrieri Viaduct, which is in Modica.
Music for the soundtrack was composed by Franco Piersanti.
The BBC holds the United Kingdom transmission rights. "Excursion to Tindari" and "Montalbano's Croquettes" ("Gli Arancini di Montalbano") were first shown in the UK on BBC Four in December 2008 and"Montalbano's Croquettes", episode 8, was repeated in December 2010 and "Excursion to Tindari", episode 5, in August 2011. On 11 February 2012, it broadcast "The Snack Thief", the very first episode, in its 9 p.m. Saturday evening slot, previously occupied by both series of The Killing and, more recently, Borgen. On 25 August 2012, BBC Four started showing a second series of 12 Inspector Montalbano episodes in its Saturday evening imported drama slot. BBC Four broadcast the four series 9 episodes on Saturdays from 19 Oct to 9 Nov 2013, calling them "Series 3". In June 2014, BBC Four began a rerun of all existing episodes, this time in the correct running order.
In Australia the series was shown on Special Broadcasting Service in Italian, subtitled in English by SBS staff. The DVD region code Region 4 DVDs available were produced and subtitled by RAI Trade. A DVD region code Region 2 DVD of "Inspector Montalbano: Collection One" was due for release on 5 March 12, 2012. Episodes featured would be "The Snack Thief", "The Voice of The Violin", "The Shape of Water" and "The Terracotta Dog"
In France, it was shown on France 3 on Sundays as Commissaire Montalbano in winter 2013, whereas in Spain, on La 2 on Saturdays (Spring 2013).
In the United States, it is broadcast on MHz Networks' Worldview Channel.
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 1-3||3||1999-2000||The Snack Thief, The Voice of the Violin, The Shape of Water||29 June 2010|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 4-6||3||2000-2001||The Mystery of the Terracotta Dog, The Artist's Touch, A Trip to Tindari||29 June 2010|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 7-9||3||2002||The Sense of Touch, Montalbano's Croquettes, The Scent of the Night||17 August 2010|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 10-12||3||2002-2005||The Goldfinch and the Cat, Turning Point, Equal Time||17 August 2010|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 13-15||3||2006-2008||The Spider's Patience, Find the Lady, Paper Moon||14 November 2010|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 16-18||3||2008||Track of Sand, Wings of the Sphinx, August Heat||14 November 2010|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 19 & 20||2||2011||The Potter's Field & The Dance of the Seagull||4 November 2011|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 21 & 22||2||2011||The Treasure Hunt & The Age of Doubt||4 November 2011|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 23 & 24||2||2013||Angelica's Smile & Mirror Effect||24 September 2013|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 25 & 26||2||2013||A Voice in the Night & A Ray of Light||24 September 2013|
|Detective Montalbano: Episodes 27 & 28||2||2015||A Delicate Matter & The Mud Pyramid||28 June 2016|
MHz Networks distributes the Detective Montalbano series on TV, DVD, TVOD and SVOD.
In the UK, the earlier episodes are currently available in both a collection and series format, with the series numbering following BBC Four's. These titles are distributed by Acorn Media UK.
|DVD Title||Discs||Year||Episodes||DVD release|
|Collection One||2||2012||"The Snack Thief", "The Voice of The Violin", "The Shape of Water", "The Mystery of The Terracotta Dog"||5 March 2012|
|Collection Two||3||2012||"Excursion to Tindari", "The Artist's Touch", "The Sense of Touch", "Montalbano's Croquettes",
"The Scent of the Night", "The Cat and the Goldfinch"
|3 September 2012|
|Complete Series One||5||2012||The 10 episodes from Collection One and Collection Two||8 October 2012|
|Collection Three||2||2013||"Turning Point", "Equal Time", "The Spider’s Patience", "Find the Lady"||7 January 2013|
|Collection Four||2||2013||"August Flame", "The Wings of the Sphinx", "Track of Sand", "Paper Moon"||4 March 2013|
|Collection Five||2||2013||"The Age of Doubt", "The Gull's Dance", "The Potter's Field", "Treasure Hunt"||8 July 2013|
|Complete Series Two||6||2013||The 12 episodes from Collections Three, Four and Five||4 November 2013|
|Collection Six||2||2014||"Angelica's Smile", "Hall of Mirrors", "A Voice in the Night", "A Ray of Light"||3 February 2014|
|The Complete Montalbano Collection||13||2014||All 26 episodes from the six collections||2 June 2014|
In the Nordic countries the first 18 films are available as Box 1 (1–6), Box 2 (7–12) and Box 3 (13–18). All were released in 2009 (*) with Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish subtitles. They were released by AtlanticFilms AB on license from RAI Trade. (*) The boxes state 1999 but this is the start date of the series not the release date of the DVD sets.
In Spain there is a confusing situation with films (dubbed in Spanish as well as Italian with Spanish subtitles) available in both box sets containing six films each and overlapping mini box sets containing two films each. Both types of box are labelled as Colección Montalbano in identically designed boxes to add to the confusion. (Issued by Track Media SL)
- «Pippo Ragonese, notista politico di Televigàta, era dotato di due cose: una faccia a culo di gallina e una contorta fantasia che lo portava a immaginare complotti. Nemico dichiarato di Montalbano, Ragonese non fagliò l'occasione per attaccarlo ancora una volta» from Il gatto e il cardellino
- BBC Four: Inspector Montalbano, Episode guide: Series 1 Linked 2014-11-30
- Combines two short stories: "Amore e fratellanza" (Love and Brotherhood) and "Sequestro di persona", which appears in English as "A Kidnapping", in Camilleri, Andrea. "Montalbano's First Case and Other Stories" (S. Sartarelli, trans.), Penguin Books: New York, 2016
- BBC Four: Inspector Montalbano, Episode guide: Series 2 Linked 2014-11-30
- "Par Condicio" appears in English as "Neck and Neck", in Camilleri, Andrea. Montalbano's First Case and Other Stories (S. Sartarelli, trans.), Penguin Books: New York, 2016
- BBC Four: Inspector Montalbano, Episode guide: Series 3 Linked 2014-11-30
- Montalbano Episodes from MHz Networks on VHX.TV Linked 2016-11-04
- "BBC Four - Inspector Montalbano, Series 1, Excursion to Tindari". bbc.co.uk. 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "BBC Four - Inspector Montalbano, Series 1, Montalbano's Croquettes". bbc.co.uk. 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.