International Islamic University, Islamabad
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|بين الاقوامی اسلامی يونيورسٹی اسلام آباد|
|Motto||"وفوق كل ذي علم عليم"|
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|President||Ahmed Yousif Ahmed Al Draiweesh|
Mohammad Bashir Khan, Vice President (Academics)and Dr. Muhammad Munir (Higher Studies & Research )
|Provost||Muhammad Amin Makki|
|Director||Dr. Eatzaz Ahmed|
|Location||Islamabad, Islamabad Capital Territory, Pakistan|
|Colours||Celadon, Green, White|
The International Islamic University ((IIU) Arabic: الجامعة الإسلامية العالمية إسلام آباد, Urdu: بين الاقوامی اسلامی يونيورسٹی;) is a public university and tertiary education research institution in Islamabad, Pakistan. It is a centre of Islam, theology, and the Islamic sciences. The university was founded in 1980 and restructured in 1985. In 2012, the university was one of the largest in Pakistan. In February 2014, the university awarded King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia an honorary doctorate in politics and international relations.
- 1 Campuses
- 2 Tuition
- 3 Faculties
- 3.1 Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences
- 3.2 Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- 3.3 Iqra College of Technology
- 3.4 Faculty of languages and literature
- 3.5 Faculty of Arabic languages and Islamic civilization
- 3.6 Faculty of management sciences
- 3.7 Faculty of Shariah and Law
- 3.8 Faculty of Social Sciences
- 3.9 International Institute of Islamic Economics
- 3.10 Faculty of Islamic Studies
- 3.11 Islamic Research Institute
- 3.12 Iqbal International Institute for Research and Dialogue
- 3.13 Institute of Professional Studies
- 3.14 English Language Center
- 4 Libraries
- 5 Research Journals
- 6 Foreign collaboration
- 7 Medical Centre
- 8 Associations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The university has two campuses.
The old campus lies about the Faisal Mosque. The mosque was designed by Vedat Dalokay, a Turkish architect. It was donated to the university by King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. The mosque is one of the largest in the world and is able to accommodate tens of thousands of people in its prayer hall, women's gallery and courtyard.
The new campus occupies Islamabad's Sector H-10. The first phase of construction of the new campus was completed in 2013. Since then a campus area for women has been established. In 2006, the construction of the Central Library and the Lincoln Corner was completed.
The university infrastructure includes seven academic buildings. The university's student accommodation includes four hostels for women and six for men.
The university consists of a number of faculties.
Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences
The Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences (founded in 2003) teaches computer science and software engineering, physics and nanotechnology, mathematics and statistics, environmental sciences, biotechnology and bioinformatics.
Faculty of Engineering and Technology
Iqra College of Technology
The Iqra College of Technology (ICT) a constituent unit of IIU offers B.Tech(Hons) in Mechanical , Electrical and Civil in the evening.
Faculty of languages and literature
The faculty of languages and literature offers tution in BS , MS and Phd in English , Persian and Urdu.
Faculty of Arabic languages and Islamic civilization
Faculty of management sciences
The faculty of management sciences (founded in 1995). In 1996, the Department of Business Administration offered tuition in a Master of Business Administration program. The Department of Technology Management was founded in 1998. It is the largest faculty of the University with around 3,700 registered students.
Faculty of Shariah and Law
The Faculty of Shariah and Law was first established in Quaid-i-Azam University in 1979 and then, in 1980, was incorporated into the International Islamic University, Islamabad. Student enrolling in doctorate programs complete one year of compulsory course work before commencing a thesis. More than 900 students have graduated from this faculty.
Faculty of Social Sciences
The Faculty of Social Sciences offers tuition in education, politics and international relations, psychology, history and Pakistan studies, Islamic art and architecture, media and communications, and sociology.
International Institute of Islamic Economics
The university's International Institute of Islamic Economics was founded in 1983. It offers tuition in Islamic banking and finance, econometric s and rural development. Within the faculty, the Division of Research and Training promotes research and offers training for staff of public and private financial and academic institutions.
Faculty of Islamic Studies
A Faculty of Islamic Studies (Usuluddin) was founded in 1981. It offers tuition in the Tafseer and Quranic sciences, Hadith, comparative religion, Da'wah and Islamic culture, Aqeedah and philosophy and Seerah and Islamic history. The Da'wah Academy was founded in March 1985. The Shari'ah Institute of Training was founded in 1981 and became an academy in 1985.
Islamic Research Institute
Iqbal International Institute for Research and Dialogue
Institute of Professional Studies
English Language Center
The English Language Center teaches English language preparatory courses for students seeking to enroll in foreign and national universities (for example, HEC scholarships) or seeking employment. It also offers an English proficiency program.
The central library is situated in the new campus. Within the central library is the Lincoln Corner. It contains material on American History. There is also the Muhammad Hamidullah and the International Institute of Islamic Economics library. It contains rare books on Islamic law relating to economics and Islamic governance.
Islamic Research Institute library
The Islamic Research Institute library is a source of knowledge about Islamism.
Engineering and technology library
The engineering and technology library contains 25,000 books. Fifteen periodicals are subscribed, and ten newspapers are purchased. The library can seat fifty users. There are 550 research reports and theses.
Da'wah Academy library
The Da'wah Academy library houses more than 22,000 books.
Shariah Academy Library
The Shariah Academy Library has a collection of 8,976 books and journals on the subjects of Qur'anic studies, Hadith studies, Sirah, Islamic law and Anglo-Saxon law. There are also a number of departmental libraries such as the Research Journals library, the Library of Islamic Studies, the Al-Dirassat Al-Islamyya, the Fikro Nazar, the Insights library, and the Mayar library. The university publishes the Journal of Business and Management Sciences (JBMS).
- Islamic Studies
- Islamabad Law Review
- Fikr o Nazar
- Journal of Business and Management Sciences
The university has academic ties with,
- Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
- Ummul Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
- Islamic University of Medina, Medina, Saudi Arabia
- King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Ningxia University, People's Republic of China
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2016)|
- Academic Staff Welfare Association
- Officer Welfare Association
- University Staff Welfare Association
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- National Academy of Young Scientists (NAYS), Pakistan (NAYS IIUI Chapter)
- "International Islamic University location." Google Maps. Accessed 26 October 2013.
- Yusuf I. "Islam and Knowledge: Al Faruqi's Concept of Religion in Islamic Thought." I.B.Tauris 2012. ISBN 0857731262, 9780857731265. Accessed at Google Books 12 November 2015.
- Ahmed A. and Sonn T. (ed.) "The SAGE Handbook of Islamic Studies." SAGE, 2010 p124. ISBN 1446264521, 9781446264522. Accessed at Google Books 12 November 2015.
- "Ranking of Universities." HEC.gov.pk Accessed 26 October 2013.
- "HEC announces ranking of universities." The News.com.pk 23 February 2013. Accessed 26 October 2013.
- "Pakistan's International Islamic University Awards Honorary Doctorate to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques." Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Saudi Arabia. 2 March 2014. Accessed 12 November 2015.
- Rengel M. "Pakistan: A Primary Source Cultural Guide." The Rosen Publishing Group, 2004 p71 ISBN 0823940012, 9780823940011. Accessed at Google Books 12 November 2015.
- Rizvi K. "The Transnational Mosque: Architecture and Historical Memory in the Contemporary Middle East." UNC Press Books, 2015 p90. ISBN 1469621177, 9781469621173. Accessed at Google Books 12 November 2015.
- "Faisal Mosque." Archnet Digital Library. Accessed 9 February 2011.
- "International Islamic University, Islamabad." Google Maps. Accessed 23 September 2013.