James Ramsey (baseball)
December 19, 1989 |
James Brogan Ramsey (born December 19, 1989) is an American professional baseball outfielder and Second Baseman who is currently a free agent. The St. Louis Cardinals selected him in the first round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft from Florida State University.
Ramsey attended Wesleyan School in Peachtree Corners, Georgia. In 2008, Wesleyan's baseball team won the state championship. He then enrolled at Florida State University from 2009–12, where he played college baseball for the Florida State Seminoles baseball team. Ramsey was a three-year starter for the Seminoles, helping lead them to the 2010 College World Series and the 2012 College World Series.
As a junior, Ramsey led Florida State in nearly every offensive category and led the Atlantic Coast Conference in total bases, earning third-team All-American and first-team All-ACC honors. Ramsey was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 22nd round of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft but opted to return to Florida State.
Ramsey earned even more accolades his senior season when he was named the American Baseball Coaches Association Co-Player of the Year and the ACC Player of the Year and also earned unanimous First Team All-American honors.
Ramsey spent the 2012 season with the Palm Beach Cardinals, the St. Louis Cardinals' affiliate in the Class-A Advanced Florida State League, where he played in 56 games. He started 2013 with Palm Beach before being promoted to the Springfield Cardinals of the Class AA Texas League. Ramsey began the 2014 season with Springfield, and was selected to play in the 2014 All-Star Futures Game at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
On July 30, 2014, the Cardinals traded Ramsey to the Cleveland Indians for starting pitcher Justin Masterson. The Indians assigned him to the Columbus Clippers of the Class AAA International League. After the 2015 season, the Indians added Ramsey to their 40-man roster. The Indians designated him for assignment on April 4, 2016. On April 10, the Indians traded Ramsey and Zach Walters to the Los Angeles Dodgers, where he was assigned to the AAA Oklahoma City Dodgers. He was designated for assignment on May 28, 2016 but cleared waivers and was outrighted back to Oklahoma City on June 4. He was traded to the Seattle Mariners on August 4, 2016.
- "Wesleyan grad Ramsey named nation's top player". Gwinnett Daily Post. June 26, 2012. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- Smith, Scott (May 29, 2015). "Wesleyan's James Ramsey waiting on the big-league call". Gwinnett Daily Post. Retrieved October 20, 2016.
- "James Ramsey". Seminoles.com. Archived from the original on June 20, 2013. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- Harvey, Coley (June 15, 2011). "Florida State's Sean Gilmartin, James Ramsey are All-Americans". Orlando Sentinel. Archived from the original on November 23, 2012. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- "Six-Picked All-ACC". Seminoles.com. May 23, 2011. Archived from the original on June 20, 2013. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- English, Antonya (June 7, 2012). "James Ramsey enjoys rewards of returning to Florida State Seminoles baseball team". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- "FSU's Ramsey up for challenge". Gwinnett Daily Post. August 17, 2012. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- Harvey, Coley (June 26, 2012). "Florida State's James Ramsey named ABCA Co-Player of Year". Orlando Sentinel. Archived from the original on November 16, 2012. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- Harvey, Coley (June 4, 2012). "FSU's James Ramsey taken in first round by St. Louis Cardinals in MLB Draft". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- "James Ramsey minor league statistics & history". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- "2014 All-Star Futures Game roster". MLB.com. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- Nightengale, Bob (July 30, 2014). "The Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from the Indians". USA Today. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- "Ramsey easing into Triple-A nicely". Cleveland Indians. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Indians add prospect Tyler Naquin to roster". MLB.com. Retrieved April 10, 2016.
- "Cleveland Indians catcher Roberto Perez passes concussion test, Joba Chamberlain added to roster". cleveland.com. Retrieved April 10, 2016.
- "Cleveland Indians trade Zach Walters, James Ramsey to Los Angeles Dodgers for cash considerations". cleveland.com. Retrieved April 10, 2016.
- Stephen, Eric (May 28, 2016). "Casey Fien called up to join Dodgers bullpen". SB Nation. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- Stephen, Eric (June 4, 2016). "Dodgers send James Ramsey outright to Triple-A Oklahoma City". SB Nation. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Curto, Mike (August 4, 2016). "Errors benefit Tacoma in runfest with El Paso". News Tribune. Retrieved August 5, 2016.
- Traub, Todd (May 6, 2014). "Texas notes: Ramsey keeps things upbeat: Cardinals center fielder displaying leadership on field, in clubhouse". MiLB.com. Retrieved August 24, 2015.