Kharar, SAS Nagar
|District||Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar district|
|Named for||Education Hub of Punjab|
|• Type||Municipal Council|
|• Body||M.C. Kharar|
|Elevation||309 m (1,014 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Kharar is a town and a municipal council in Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar district in the state of Punjab. Kharar is located at  and has an average elevation of 309 metres (1,014 feet). It is near Chandigarh and is often referred to as "Greater Mohali" due to its close proximity to Mohali.
Kharar is a block situated in the Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar district in Punjab. Positioned in the urban region of Punjab, it is among the 4 blocks of Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar district. As per the government records, the block code of Kharar is 129. This block has 150 villages, and there are a total of 44,620 families. Close to 60% of the people in Kharar are Sikhs making it the second Sikh majority town in the Greater Mohali region after Mohali.
Kharar has many Universities, engineering colleges and a dental college in its vicinity, such as:
- Rayat Bahra University, Sahauran
- Chandigarh University, Gharuan
- Chandigarh Group of Colleges, Landran and Jhanjheri
- Doaba Group of Colleges, Sahauran
- Guru Gobind Singh College of Modern Technology, Khanpur
- Shaheed Udham Singh College of Engineering & Technology, Tangori
- Government Polytechnic College, Khunimajra
Kharar has Punjab's only State Chemical Testing Laboratory which can perform viscera examination and a Forensic Laboratory, helpful for speedy justice in legal cases. Kharar has its own government hospital as well. It is situated in the center of the city.
- "Welcome To SAS Nagar". sasnagar.gov.in. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Municipal Council KHARAR". mckharar.in. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Kharar MC will charge 29 colonies for water, sewerage from August 1". hindustan times. 29 June 2018. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Kharar
- "Kharar City Population Census 2011 - Punjab". www.census2011.co.in. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- S, TN (21 November 2017). "Lone lab takes 3 yrs to examine viscera". Tribune News Service. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Punjab: Lock to govt chemical lab found broken, probe is on". The Indian Express. 29 April 2017. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Kharar forensic lab scam: Ex-in-charge gets 7-year jail for altering reports". hindustan times. 24 March 2018. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- S, TN (15 January 2018). "VR Punjab stamps its love for state". Tribune News Service. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "North Country Mall on Chandigarh-Kharar road sold for Rs 700 crore". hindustan times. 2 May 2017. Retrieved 26 July 2018.