This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Districts of Indian Punjab with headquarters
|• Total||2,235 km2 (863 sq mi)|
|• Density||444/km2 (1,150/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Moga district is one of the twenty two districts in the state of Punjab in North-West Republic of India. It became the 17th district of Punjab State on 24 November 1995 cut from Faridkot district. Moga District is among the largest producers of wheat and rice in Punjab, India. People from Moga City and Moga District belong to the Malwa culture.
Ironically, despite its high well-to-do population, Moga gained infamy in April 2015 due to the death of a teenage girl and injury of her mother, when they were molested and thrown from a running bus near Gill village, in Moga district.
Numerous attempts were previously made to make Moga a district but all were unsuccessful. Finally the then Chief Minister of Punjab S. Harcharan Singh Brar agreed to the public demand to make Moga a district on 24 November 1995.
Before this, Moga was the subdivision of Faridkot district. Moga town is the headquarters of the district, is situated on Ferozpur-Ludhiana road.
The towns of Bagha Purana, Badhni Kalan, Dharamkot, Nihal Singh Wala and Ghal Kalan fall in Moga District. The villages like Rajiana, Dunne Ke, Landhe ke, Samadh Bhai, Bughipura, Himmatpura and Chugawan also fall within this district.
Bagha Purana lies on the main road connecting Moga and Faridkot and thus is a major hub for buses to all across Punjab. Bagha Purana's police station has the largest jurisdiction in Punjab; over 65 'pinds' or villages are within its control. The town is basically divided into 3 'pattis' or sections: Muglu Patti (the biggest one), Bagha Patti, and Purana Patti. The town has its fair share of rich people and thus the standard of living is above average as compared to the surrounding towns and villages.
Dharamkot is a city and a municipal council in Moga district. Kaka sukhjeet Singh logarh is a present congress MLA from Dharamkot in Punjab Vidhan Sabha.
Landhe Ke is part of municipal committee of Moga as ward no.49,50
According to the 2011 census Moga district has a population of 992,289, roughly equal to the nation of Fiji or the US state of Montana. This gives it a ranking of 447th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 444 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,150/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 10.9%. Moga has a sex ratio of 893 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 71.6%.
Moga city is also known for number of educational institutes such as Engineering Colleges, Schools etc.
Some of the most famous schools and colleges of Moga City are:
- D M College
- Guru Nanak college
- D N Model Senior Secondary School
- R K S Senior Secondary School
- Lala Laj Pat Rai Institute Of Engineering & Technology
- Sacred Heart School
- Blooming Buds senior Secondary school
- Mount Litera Zee School, Moga
- Desh Bhagat Institute of Engineering and Management
- Little Millennium School
- Gold Coast Sports Academy
- National convent senior secondary school
- Adarsh Model High School, Moga
- T.I.M.E. Institute Moga
Little Millennium School Moga is awarded as one of the Best Top 10 Pre School / Playway in Punjab and one of the Best Top 100 Preschool in India by Brainfeed Magazine Survey 2016. The award was presented by Kiran Bedi.
T.I.M.E. Institute Moga is the only branded Institute in Moga delivering top notch results in SSC Exams, Bank Exams and School Tuitions. It is run by professionals from various fields like the Paramilitary Forces, prestigious organizations like Oxford University Press and Teachers with more than 35 Years of experience.
- Narinder Singh Kapany, Indian born American Physicist known for his work in fiber optics
- Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, eminent Sikh leader, born in the village of Rode
- Lala Lajpat Rai, Indian freedom fighter from Village Dhudhike
- Jathedar Tota Singh former Punjab Education Minister and former Agriculture Minister
- Jaswant Singh Kanwal , Sahitya academi fellowship for book 'Pakhi' 1996 and Sahitya akademi award for 'Taushali Di Hanso' 1998. He was from Dhudike vill.
- Lachhman Singh Gill, Chief Minister of Punjab from Village Chuhar Chak
- Sonu Sood, Indian Film Actor
- Roshan Prince, Actor and Singer
- Harmanpreet Kaur, Batswoman in the Indian Women's National Cricket Team and Captain of the T20 Indian Women's National Cricket Team
- Subedar Joginder Singh,was an Indian Army soldier, and recipient of the Param Vir Chakra. A biopic is being made on Singh's life and his action during Sino-Indian War. The lead role is being played by Punjabi actor-singer Gippy Grewal
- Webdesk, DNA News (2 May 2015). "Moga molestation: Punjab education minister stirs up controversy, says victim death 'god's will'". DNA India. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Fiji 883,125 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Goyal, Divya, Moga artist sculpts unique India-Pakistan bond, Ludhiana, The Indian Express, December 19, 2015, Retrieved on January 10, 2016