Krishna Byre Gowda
Krishna Byre Gowda
|Minister for Rural Development, Law and Parliamentary Affairs|
|Assumed office |
8 June 2018
|Preceded by||H. K. Patil|
|Member of the Karnataka Legislative Assembly|
|Assumed office |
20 June 2008
|Born||4 April 1973|
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|As of 1 April, 2009|
Krishna Byre Gowda (born 4 April 1973) is the current Minister of Rural Development, Law and Parliamentary Affairs in the cabinet of H D Kumaraswamy,and Member of Legislative Assembly of the Byatarayanapura Constituency, in office since June 2008. Born in Bangalore, Krishna is a graduate from the American University in Washington and Christ College in Bangalore. He was a project associate at the Ethiopian Embassy in Washington before earning his M.A. degree. He then worked as an agriculturalist at his family-owned farm in Kolar district between 2000 and 2002. In 2003, he again worked as a project associate at Development Alternatives, Inc. He has served three times as an M.L.A. of Karnataka state, twice from Vemegal in Kolar district from 2003 to 2007, and from 2008 to 2013 from the Byatarayanapura Constituency in Bengaluru.
Krishna has served as the President of the Karnataka Pradesh Youth Congress between 2007 and 2011, and is currently holds the office of General Secretary of the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee, since 2012.
Krishna Byre Gowda was born in Bangalore, Karnataka, to C. Byre Gowda and Savithramma. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in Business Management from Christ College, now known as Christ University, in Bangalore in 1994. He then graduated with a master's degree (M.A) from the School of International Service, at American University in Washington, D.C. in 1999.
DAI's mission is to make a difference in the world by helping societies and economies become more prosperous, fairer and more just, safer, more stable, more efficient, and better governed .
As a project associate at DAI, Krishna worked on several projects to do with development issues and ways to solve them.
He began his political career in 2003, when his father and Janata Dal (United) leader C. Byre Gowda died. Mr. C. Byre Gowda was a senior legislator and cabinet minister of Karnataka state, having served as an M.L.A. for five consequent terms. He was agriculture minister from 1996 to 1999 in the cabinet of chief minister J.H. Patel. In October 2003, Krishna contested and won the by-election to fill his late father's legislative assembly seat from Vemagal, Kolar District, to become one of the youngest members of the Karnataka legislature.
In April 2004, Krishna Byre Gowda left the Janata Dal political party to join the Indian National Congress and won the Vemagal, Karnataka legislative assembly seat.
Krishna Byre Gowda became president of the Karnataka Pradesh Youth Congress Committee in November 2007.
In 2008 Krishna Byre Gowda chose to compete for the urban Byatarayanapura constituency in Bangalore and won the election with 43 percent of the votes, defeating A. Ravi of the Bharatiya Janata Party with a margin of 9,352 votes.
Since then Krishna has focused on addressing problems unique to urban residents like bad roads, traffic congestion, drainage problems and uncleared garbage.
Krishna Byre Gowda is married to Meenakshi.
- Cabinet Minister for Rural Development & Panchayat Raj , Government of Karnataka, May 2018 - Current
- Cabinet Minister for Agriculture, Government of Karnataka, May 2013 - 2018
- President, Karnataka Pradesh Youth Congress, 2007-March 2011
- Member of the Legislative Assembly Byatarayanapura, Bangalore, 2008-Current
- Member of the Legislative Assembly, Vemagal, Kolar District, Karnataka, 2003–2004,2004–2007
- Project Associate, Development Alternatives Inc. Washington, D.C., 2003
- Operated self-owned agricultural farm in Bangalore, 2000–02
- Project Associate, Ethiopian Embassy, Washington,D.C., 1998–99
- Bypoll Winners Rode High on Sympathy Wave: http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2003100307160400.htm&date=2003/10/03/&prd=th&
- Rajendran, S.; Ranganna, T.S. (17 April 2004). "Congress in Consolidation Mode in Kolar". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- Krishna Byre Gowda is Youth Congress President: http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/16/stories/2007111664600400.htm
- Karnataka Elections: http://www.karnatakaelections.in/#
- Overwhelming response for Janaspandana: http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Dec72008/city20081207105227.asp