LGBT rights in American Samoa
|LGBT rights in American Samoa|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal since 1980|
LGBT people in the U.S. territory of American Samoa face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Same-sex sexual activity became legal in the state in 1980, but same-sex couples are not eligible for the rights and benefits available to different-sex married couples.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Recognition of same-sex relationships
The American Samoa Code Annotated does not specify the sex of the parties to a marriage, but refers to the age of "the male" and "the female". It prescribes the use of a form in which the parties identify the parents to whom they are related as "son " and as "daughter".
Representative Sua Carl Schuster introduced legislation to ban same-sex marriage in 2003. He said he hoped to establish the territory's position clearly in order to avoid lawsuits like those in the mainland United States. Many supporters of the bill cited their Christian faith as their reason for supporting his proposal. The House Judiciary Committee voted against it and then the full Senate did so.
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||Since 1980|
|Equal age of consent||Since 1980|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment only|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (Incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples|
|Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly in the military||Since 2011|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- Politics of American Samoa
- LGBT rights in the United States
- Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States
- "Gay rights map: Notes on the data". BBC News. February 5, 2014. Retrieved November 3, 2014.
- "American Samoa Code Annotated, Title 42, Chapter 01 - Marriage". American Samoa Bar Association. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "American Samoa Senate rejects bill outlawing same sex marriages". Radio New Zealand International. March 20, 2003. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- Gonzales-Pagan, Omar. "No Same-Sex Couple Left Behind: SCOTUS Ruling for the Freedom to Marry Would Apply with Equal Force to U.S. Territories". Lambda Legal. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender-related law is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This American Samoa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|