|City and Commune|
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|Founded||30 May 1925|
|• Alcalde||Santiago Rebolledo Pizarro (PPD)|
|• Total||10 km2 (4 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||8,500/km2 (22,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of La Cisterna|
La Cisterna (Spanish pronunciation: [la sisˈterna], Spanish for "the cistern") is a commune of Chile and census-designated city located in Santiago Province, Santiago Metropolitan Region. It was founded on 30 May 1925. It is part of Greater Santiago.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, La Cisterna spans an area of 10 km2 (4 sq mi) and has 85,118 inhabitants (40,651 men and 44,467 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population fell by 10.1% (9594 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. The 2006 projected population was 78,402.[not in citation given]
- Average annual household income: US$24,305 (PPP, 2006)[not in citation given]
- Population below poverty line: 8.6% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 81.78, high, 8 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.775, 24 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, La Cisterna is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Santiago Rebolledo Pizarro (PPD). The communal council has the following members:
- Patricio Ossandón Ortiz (PS)
- Maria Angelica Pinedo (DC)
- Orlando Morales Becerra (PPD)
- Patricia Acevedo González (UDI)
- Alexis Flores Ahumada (UDI)
- Bernardo Suárez Ortiz (RN)
- Marcelo Luna Campillay (PPD)
- Ximena Tobar Vásquez (PS)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, La Cisterna is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Tucapel Jiménez (PPD) and Iván Moreira (UDI) as part of the 27th electoral district, (together with El Bosque and San Ramón). The commune is represented in the Senate by Soledad Alvear (PDC) and Pablo Longueira (UDI) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of La Cisterna" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "System of Regional Information". Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994-2003)" (PDF). Government of Chile, Mideplán (in Spanish). UNDP. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to La Cisterna.|
- (Spanish) Municipality of La Cisterna