Book cover of Lady!! vol. 06 by Youko Hanabusa
|Genre||Historical drama, Romance, Slice of life story|
|Written by||Youko Hanabusa|
|Published by||Akita Shoten|
|Original run||1987 – 1993|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiroshi Shidara|
|Studio||Toei Animation Co., Ltd.|
|Original run||October 21, 1987 – March 23, 1988|
Lady!! (レディ!! Redi!!?) is a Japanese shōjo manga by Youko Hanabusa. It was published by Akita Shoten in the magazine Hitomi Comics from 1987 to 1993 and collected in 12 tankoubon volumes. The manga series was adapted into two anime television series, entitled, Lady Lady!! and its sequel Hello! Lady Lynn, produced by Toei Animation Co., Ltd.
The first season of the anime series, entitled Lady Lady!! (レディレディ!! Redi Redi!!?) consists of 21 episodes and was aired from October 21, 1987 to March 23, 1988 on TBS. It is a standard anime series that has some similarities with the Candy Candy tradition.
Young Lynn and her mother travel from Japan to meet Lynn's father, Viscount Marble, who lives in England. On their way to the Marble Mansion, Lynn and her mother get into a tragic car accident in which Lynn's mother loses her life. When Lynn wakes up in the hospital, the truth about her mother's death is kept as a secret from her since her father cannot bear to bring her such grief.
Soon after Lynn moves to her father's care to the Marble Mansion where she encounters a miscellaneous cast of servants, most of who are charmed by Lynn's adorableness. Lynn also finds out that she isn't the only child of Viscount Marble – she meets her elder half sister Sarah, whose mother has also died. At first Sarah seems cold and distant towards her, because she fears that Lynn's open and cheerful personality will win over the attention of their father as well as the two handsome young Brighton brothers who live nearby.
After a string of events, the two sisters finally form a strong bond. Then problems arise with the arrival of the scheming Waveburys who take it upon themselves to run the household in the Marble Mansion while the Viscount Marble is away. The motherless little girl tries to accommodate to the high society life and get the approval of the nobility. Her greatest wish is to become what her mother hoped her to be–a true Lady.
Much later, because of unpaid debts, the Russels lose the Marble Mansion to the bank. Sarah and Lynn are put into different homes. Nonetheless, Lynn never gives up and finally becomes a lady. After that, she marries one of the Brightons and has two children with him.
- Lynn Russell (リン・ラッセル Rin Rasseru?)
- Voiced by: Sanae Miyuki
- The heroine of the story, Lynn is a cheerful and innocent 5-year-old Anglo-Japanese girl who wishes to be accepted by her new family. She is naïve yet has an optimistic personality. She is the second daughter of Viscount Marble-George Russell and Misuzu Midorikawa. Though she is half-English and half-Japanese descent, her appearance is predominantly English, especially having a wavy blonde hair. Hailing from Japan, her maiden name was Rin Midorikawa (緑川 鈴 Midorikawa Rin?), when she was still living there with her mother and her grandparents. Her name Lynn is sometimes spelled as Rin to keep her Japanese ancestry.
- Her mother died from a car accident while protecting Lynn and wasn't told the truth until Baroness Magdalene coldly told about it. She holds her mother's keepsake, the Lady's Key and promised that she'll persevere to become a true Lady. Lynn loves and cares for her father and sister so much that she is willing to make sacrifices even her own happiness just for their sake. She is good at horseback riding, under the tutelage of Arthur and his steed Alessandra who is particularly fond of her. She has a pet kitten named Queen.
- Sarah Frances Russell (セーラ・フランシス・ラッセル Sēra Furanshisu Rasseru?)
- Voiced by: Chieko Honda
- Sarah is Lynn's beautiful elder half sister. She is the firstborn daughter of Viscount Marble–George Russell and Lady Frances Russell. She is 5 years older than Lynn. Cold and distant at their first meeting, Sarah is actually kind and caring. Gradually, she cherishes Lynn as if she is her own younger sister, spurred on by their same state of being motherless, and defends her from the abuses of the Waveburys.
- Unlike Lynn, Sarah doesn't have any memory of her mother since she died before she could even remember. Her mother's only keepsake is the flute and the musical score. She is very good at painting and an excellent flutist. Sarah has feelings for Arthur and is conscious of Lynn every time she saw them having fun together.
- Arthur Drake Brighton (アーサー・ドレイク・ブライトン Āsā Doreiku Buraiton?)
- Voiced by: Ryo Horikawa
- Arthur is the eldest son and heir of the noble Brighton family. He is also Edward's elder brother. Calm, reserved and charming, Arthur is an excellent equestrian, and together with his noble steed Alessandra, wins a competition hosted by the equestrian club in the course of the series. He and Sarah have been friends long before Lynn arrived in England. He also personifies Lynn's idea of a fairy tale prince.
- Edward Brighton (エドワード・ブライトン Edowādo Buraiton?)
- Voiced by: Hidehiro Kikuchi
- Edward is Arthur's younger brother. Energetic and playful, he is very protective of Lynn and would do anything for her sake. Though he can ride horses like his brother, he cannot ride Alessandra since the latter refuses to be ridden on by anyone except Arthur and Lynn. Later in the series, Edward manages to ride on Alessandra to stop Lynn and convinced her from going back to Japan.
- George Russell (ジョージ・ラッセル Jōji Rasseru?)
- Voiced by: Hideyuki Tanaka
- George Richard Russell is the Viscount Marble and he is Lynn and Sarah's father. Gentle and kind, he loves his children dearly and will do anything for their sakes. He is away on business trips a lot in order to pay back the money he owed to the bank for his businesses, with the Marble Mansion as the collateral. George works hard to the point of endangering his health. He is pressured by his father, the Duke Warbawn, to marry the Baroness Wavebury to pay off his debts. He later dies from a heart attack.
- Frances Russell (フランシス・ラッセル Furanshisu Rasseru?)
- Frances was the first wife of the Viscount Marble and Sarah's mother. She has a kind and gentle personality and cares her loved ones very much. She died when Sarah was very young so Sarah does not have any memory of her. She and George met in college and rode horses together with their friends. She is also an excellent flutist. Her portrait hangs in the Marble Mansion. Throughout the series, she is seen as the ideal Lady, both by Lynn and Sarah.
- Misuzu Midorikawa (緑川 美鈴 Midorikawa Misuzu?)
- Voiced by: Keiko Yokozawa
- Misuzu was Lynn's mother. She met George when he was in Japan for a business trip. She also has a similar personality as his late wife and a reason why he chose her. She died from a tragic car accident while protecting Lynn from harm. Her wish for Lynn is for her to become a true Lady.
- Magdalene Wavebury (モードリン・ウィバリー Mōdorin Wibarī?)
- Voiced by: Eiko Masuyama
- Baroness Magdalene Wavebury is Sarah and Lynn's aunt. Together with her children, Thomas and Mary, they play as the antagonists of the story. She wants to marry the Viscount Marble in order for her family to be incorporated in the nobility. She turns a blind eye to her children's wrongdoings while heaping the blame on Lynn. Her family is very wealthy and is capable of paying off George's debts.
- Thomas Wavebury (トマス・ウィバリー Tomasu Wibarī?)
- Voiced by: Keiichi Nanba
- Thomas is the older of the Wavebury siblings. He is a mean and mischievous boy who, together with his sister Mary, enjoys tormenting Lynn. He has a penchant of playing with his pistol and shooting the roses and Mary's cat, Prince. He is also a habitual liar. However, he is quite cowardly and runs away when his pranks are found out.
- Mary Wavebury (メアリ・ウィバリー Meari Wibarī?)
- Voiced by: Mayumi Shou
- Mary is the younger of the Wavebury siblings. Like her brother, she enjoys making Lynn miserable. Although unlike Thomas, she experiences pangs of conscience when her pranks go too far. She owns a cat named Prince but she is sometimes mean to him.
- Duke Warbawn (ウォーバン公爵 Wōban-koushaku?)
- Voiced by: Kouji Totani
- Richard Warbawn is the father of the Viscount Marble. Brooding and serious, he refuses to recognize Lynn as a member of the family because of her family background. He is pressuring George to marry the Baroness Wavebury to solve his money problems, to the point of offering to accept Lynn into the family if he does, or the Marble Mansion will be taken.
- Isabel Montgomery (イザベル・モンゴメリ Izaberu Mongomeri?)
- Voiced by: Nana Yamaguchi
- Isabel is Richard's younger sister and the Countess Montgomery. A contrast with her brother, she is kind and understanding. She is charmed by Lynn's adorableness when they first meet. She subtly tries to make Richard more accepting of Lynn.
- Prince (プリンス Purinsu?)
- Voiced by: Noriko Uemura
- Prince is Mary's pet Persian cat. Playful and mischievous, he is often used by Mary as a tool in her schemes against Lynn. Though often treated kindly by Lynn, Prince is persistently causing trouble for her. He often picks on Lynn's pet cat Queen. Later of the series, however, he was disowned by his owner and was adopted by Lynn.
List of episodes
|#||Episode Title||Original Air Date|
|01||"Hello! I'm Lynn"
"Harō! Rin Desu" (ハロー!リンです)
|October 21, 1987|
|Lynn flies to England with her mother to her father. On their way to the mansion, her mother dies in a tragic car accident. She meets her sister Sarah. Sarah does not accept her. She also meets Edward and Arthur Brighton and their horse, Alexandra.|
|02||"Two Little Gentlemen"
"Chiisana Shinshi ga Futari" (小さな紳士がふたり)
|October 28, 1987|
|03||"The Uninvited Guest"
"Manekare-zaru Kyaku" (招かれざる客)
|November 04, 1987|
|The baroness shows up and tells Lynn and Sarah that she will be their mother. When Lynn asks why, the baroness coldly tells her about her mother's death.|
|04||"My Mom's Keepsake"
"Mama no Wasure-gatami" (ママのわすれ形見)
|November 11, 1987|
|George gives his daughter the Lady's Key, which belonged to Lynn's mom.|
"Tomasu no Waru-dakumi" (トマスの悪だくみ)
|November 18, 1987|
|Thomas shoots Alexandra with his BB gun and she throws off Edward and Lynn. Edward gets badly injured and Lynn is accused.|
"Gokai Sare ta Magokoro" (誤解されたまごころ)
|December 02, 1987|
|07||"The Oath to the Lady"
"Redi e no Chikai" (レディへの誓い)
|December 09, 1987|
"Akogare no Rondon" (あこがれのロンドン)
|December 16, 1987|
|09||"Christmas Card of Love"
"Ai no Kurisumasu Kādo" (愛のクリスマス·カード)
|December 23, 1987|
|10||"The Witch Dancing in the Snow"
"Yuki no Naka ni Majo ga Mau" (雪の中に魔女が舞う)
|January 06, 1988|
|Mary steals the Lady's Key and sends Lynn out in the snow to look for it. Lynn faints from the cold and fights a witch in her delirium. Mary feels bad and puts her key back. Alexandra breaks out of her stable and leads Arthur and Edward to Lynn.|
|11||"Do You Love the Aunt, Dad?"
"Papa, Oba-sama wo Ai Shite Iruno?" (パパ.おば様を愛しているの?)
|January 13, 1988|
|12||"Lynn's Adventure to Call Spring"
"Haru o Yobu Rin no Bōken" (春を呼ぶリンの冒険)
|January 20, 1988|
|13||"Why Can't I Meet My Grandfather!?"
"Naze!? Ojī-sama ni Aenai no?" (なぜ!?おじい様に会えないの?)
|January 27, 1988|
|Sarah, Lynn and their dad go meet the grandfather. He refuses to see Lynn but his sister, Isabelle, warmly embraces her.|
|14||"In the Raining! Don't Break Down, Sarah"
"Ame no Naka! Onegai Sēra Taore nai de" (雨の中!お願いセーラ倒れないで)
|February 03, 1988|
|Lynn is excited that she can finally go to school. Prince messes up her dress and Sarah goes out in the rain to get it washed and fixed.|
|15||"Why Can't I go to School!?"
"Doushite!? Rin wa Gakkōni Haire Naino" (どうして!?リンは学校には入れないの)
|February 10, 1988|
|16||"Arthur! Please Help Sarah"
"Āsā! Onegai Sēra o Tasukete" (アーサー!お願いセーラを助けて)
|February 17, 1988|
|When Sarah's painting gets left behind, Arthur rides like the wind to get it submitted on time.|
|17||"Don't Leave Me! I Hate Being Alone"
"Sutenaide! Hitori-bocchi wa Iya" (捨てないで!ひとりぼっちはイヤ)
|February 24, 1988|
|Tom gets fired|
|18||"Don't Lie! Lynn Make Everything Bad?"
"Uso Desho! Minna Rin ga Waruino?" (ウソでしょ!みんなリンが悪いの?)
|March 02, 1988|
|When Thomas and Mary blame Lynn of causing her mother's accident, Jill slaps Thomas and gets fired.|
|19||"I'm Hopeless! Dad Will Marry"
"Rin mou Dame! Papa ga Kekkon Suruno" (リンもうダメ!パパが結婚するの)
|March 09, 1988|
|20||"I'm Sorry, Sarah. I'll Return to Japan!"
"Gomen ne Sēra Rin Nippon ni Kaeru!" (ごめんねセーラ リン 日本に帰る!)
|March 16, 1988|
|George decides to marry the baroness to resolve his financial problems.|
"Sayounara Igirisu" (さようならイギリス)
|March 23, 1988|
|Lynn decides to go back to Japan forever so that her dad won't marry the baroness and make Sarah sad. Edward warns Arthur and Sarah and they race off to the airport to stop her.|
- "The Moonlight for Only Two" (ふたりだけのムーンライト Futari dake no Mūnraito?)
- Lyrics by Masumi Kawamura
- Composition and arrangement by Katsuhisa Hattori
- Performed by Shonentai
- Courtesy of Warner Pioneer
- "Hello Lady" (ハロー·レディ Harō Redi?)
- Director: Hiroshi Shidara
- Producer: Kazuo Yokoyama, Hiromi Seki, Hiroshi Inoue
- Episode Director: Toshihiko Arisako, Yasuo Yamayoshi
- Character Design: Kazuhiro Ochi
- Art Design: Takao Sawada
- Storyline: Tomoko Konparu
- Planning: Hiromi Seki, Kazuo Yokoyama
- Production Manager: Yoshiro Sugawara
- Music: Kōhei Tanaka
- Production Company: Toei Animation Co., Ltd., TBS
- Author's Official Website: リンのマーブル館 (Japanese)
- *Milly un giorno dopo l'altro* Lady!! di Youko Hanabusa *Shoujo Manga Outline* (Italian)
- Lady!! (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia