Formal relations between Laos and the Philippines were officially established on 14 January 1955. Relations between the two countries were said to have started during the early period of the Vietnam War. Operation Brotherhood, a joint international venture by Jaycees International, sent 50 volunteer Filipino doctors, agriculturists, and nutritionists to Laos and Vietnam from 1957 to 1964.
Lao Prime Ministers Bounnhang Vorachith, Bouasone Bouphavanh and Thongsing Thammavong made their state visit to the Philippines in 2002, June 2007 and May 2012 respectively. Philippine President Fidel V. Ramos visited Laos in October 1997. President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo visited Laos in November 2004 for the ASEAN summit and President Benigno Aquino III visited Laos in November 2012 for the Asia-Europe Meeting Summit. President Rodrigo Duterte visited Laos in September 2016, his first international trip as president, to attend the 48th and 49th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summits and the Eleventh East Asia Summit.
Filipinos in Laos
There are about 730 Filipinos in Laos as of 2013, mostly working as professionals as teachers, nurses, engineers, hotel employees and consultants. Filipinos are often offered lower fares on riding tuktuks compared to other foreigners.
- "OVERVIEW OF PHILIPPINES-LAO PDR RELATIONS" (PDF). Presidential Communications Operations Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 August 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Novio, Eunice Barbara (4 November 2012). "A 'Bahay Pinoy' in Vientiane". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Calica, Aurea (11 May 2012). "Phl, Laos sign 4 agreements". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "PNoy to leave for Laos for Asia-Europe summit". ABS-CBNnews.com. 3 November 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Regalado, Edith (5 September 2016). "Duterte off to Laos for Asean Summit". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- BusinessMirror - Strengthening the partnership between the Philippines and Lao PDR Archived 24 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Filipinos in Laos ready to welcome P-Noy". ABS-CBNnews.com. 4 November 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2014.