||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (August 2015)|
|Born||Lapo Eduard Elkann
7 October 1977
New York City
|Occupation||President, Italia Independent
President, Independent Ideas, Founding Partner, LA Holding
Director of Brand Promotion, Fiat Group
|Known for||Grandson of Gianni Agnelli, Nephew of Umberto Agnelli, Cousin of Countess Bianca Brandolini d'Adda|
|Parent(s)||Countess Margherita Agnelli de Pahlen
A member of the Agnelli family, Elkann was born in New York City, the son of Countess Margherita Agnelli de Pahlen and the American-born Italian writer Alain Elkann. His father is Jewish and his mother is Catholic.  He is the brother of John Elkann, the current Chairman of Fiat and the Chairman and CEO of Exor, an investment company controlled by the Agnelli family, which owns Juventus F.C., Cushman & Wakefield. Elkann is a grandson of Fiat chairman Gianni Agnelli and Marella Agnelli. He is nephew of Don Carlo Caracciolo, founder of Gruppo Editoriale L’Espresso - owner of the newspaper la Repubblica, the Italian daily general-interest newspaper. Elkann is also a stepson of Russian nobleman Count Sergei de Pahlen.
In addition to his brother John, Elkann has a sister, Ginevra Elkann, and five half-siblings by his mother's second marriage: Maria, Pierre, Sophia, Anna, and Tatiana. He is also a great-grandnephew of Ettore Ovazza, of the Ovazza banking family. Elkann descends from the Ovazza banking family, via his grandmother, Carla Ovazza.
In 2001, Elkann worked as a personal assistant to Henry Kissinger, subsequently working as marketing associate for Ferrari and Maserati. In 2003, he became Fiat's Director of Marketing. He coordinated marketing for the Fiat Punto and Fiat 500 and received the America Award of the Italy-USA Foundation in 2011.
Elkann subsequently left Fiat, creating Italia Independent, a lifestyle and clothing brand featuring Italian products. In 2007 he founded Independent Ideas, a communication and advertising agency.
Awards and honors
Vanity Fair magazine listed Elkann in its Best Dressed Hall of Fame of 2009 and was named to the magazine's on the 2008 International Best Dressed List. He received the America Award of the Italy-USA Foundation in 2011.
|Ancestors of Lapo Elkann|
- [dead link]
- "Lapo Elkann: Ritratto/intervista dell'imprenditore trentenne che odia le mezze misure." [Portrait / interview thirty year old entrepreneur who hates half measures.] (in Italian). Marie Claire.it. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Peephole (August 24, 2009). "Lapo Elkann vuole essere ebreo e diventare un bravo padre" [Lapo Elkann wants to be jew and become a good father] (in Italian). Gossipblog. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Seal, Mark: "The Woman Who Wanted the Secrets," Vanity Fair, August 2008
- Povoledo, Elisabetta (2008-12-17). "C. Caracciolo, 83, a Publisher and La Repubblica Founder, Is Dead". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2015-09-06.
- unbit.it, Unbit s.a.s. -. "Lapo Elkann | Official Site". lapoelkann.com. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Barbie Latza Nadeau (2011-11-28). "Playboy Industrialist Lapo Elkann Wants to Remake Italy's Image - Newsweek and The Daily Beast". Thedailybeast.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Tales from Lapoland" Financial Times
- "Independent Ideas Portfolio"
- Sanderson, Rachel (2013-06-27). "Lapo Elkann’s Italia Independent set for Milan debut". FT.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Vanity Fair, September 2008
- Interview - Lapo Elkann, Fiat's head of brand promotions
- Interview - Lunch with the FT: Lapo Elkann
- Interview - A new definition of Italian luxury
- Website - Italia Independent
- Website - Independent Ideas