||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Lapo Eduard Elkann
7 October 1977
New York City
|Occupation||President, Italia Independent
President, Independent Ideas, Founding Partner, LA Holding
Director of Brand Promotion, Fiat Group
|Known for||Grandson of Gianni Agnelli, Nephew of Umberto Agnelli, Cousin of Countess Bianca Brandolini d'Adda|
|Parent(s)||Countess Margherita Agnelli de Pahlen
A member of the Agnelli family, Elkann was born in New York City, the son of Countess Margherita Agnelli de Pahlen and the American-born Italian writer Alain Elkann. His father is Jewish and his mother is Catholic. He is the brother of John Elkann, the current Chairman of Fiat and the Chairman and CEO of Exor, an investment company controlled by the Agnelli family, which owns Juventus F.C.. Elkann is a grandson of Fiat chairman Gianni Agnelli and Marella Agnelli. He is nephew of Don Carlo Caracciolo, founder of Gruppo Editoriale L’Espresso - owner of the newspaper la Repubblica, the Italian daily general-interest newspaper. Elkann is also a stepson of Russian nobleman Count Sergei de Pahlen.
In addition to his brother John, Elkann has a sister, Ginevra Elkann, and five half-siblings by his mother's second marriage (Maria, Pierre, Sophia, Anna, and Tatiana). He is also a great-grandnephew of Ettore Ovazza, of the Ovazza banking family, via his grandmother, Carla Ovazza.
In 2001, Elkann worked as a personal assistant to Henry Kissinger, subsequently working as marketing associate for Ferrari and Maserati. In 2003, he became Fiat's Director of Marketing. He coordinated marketing for the Fiat Punto and Fiat 500.
Elkann left Fiat in 2005 after being widely reported as having a serious cocaine and heroin overdose, creating Italia Independent, a lifestyle and clothing brand featuring Italian products. In 2007 he founded Independent Ideas, a communication and advertising agency.
In 2011, Lapo worked with Gucci's creative director, Frida Giannini, on developing the Gucci Special Edition of the Fiat 500 and has consulted with Ferrari, running Ferrari Tailor Made, which enables customers to customize their car. Still in 2011 Italia Indipendent and ToyWatch of Gianluca Vacchi presented a special edition of 1007 copies of watches called Unique Edition.
Awards and honors
|Ancestors of Lapo Elkann|
- [dead link]
- "Lapo Elkann: Ritratto/intervista dell'imprenditore trentenne che odia le mezze misure." [Portrait / interview thirty year old entrepreneur who hates half measures.] (in Italian). Marie Claire.it. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Peephole (2009-08-24). "Lapo Elkann vuole essere ebreo e diventare un bravo padre" [Lapo Elkann wants to be jew and become a good father] (in Italian). Gossipblog. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Povoledo, Elisabetta (2008-12-17). "C. Caracciolo, 83, a Publisher and La Repubblica Founder, Is Dead". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2015-09-06.
- Seal, Mark: "The Woman Who Wanted the Secrets," Vanity Fair, August 2008
- unbit.it, Unbit s.a.s. -. "Lapo Elkann | Official Site". lapoelkann.com. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Barbie Latza Nadeau (2011-11-28). "Playboy Industrialist Lapo Elkann Wants to Remake Italy's Image". The Daily Beast. Archived from the original on 2011-11-29.
- "Tales from Lapoland" Financial Times
- "Ever-obsessive, Lapo Elkann returns with no apologies", Peter Kiefer, Feb. 23, 2007, NY Times
- "Independent Ideas Portfolio"
- Sanderson, Rachel (2013-06-27). "Lapo Elkann's Italia Independent set for Milan debut". FT.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Vanity Fair, September 2008
- "The International Best-Dressed List Hall of Fame 2014", Theresa Grill, August 2014, "Vanity Fair"