|Born||Lapo Eduard Elkann
7 October 1977
New York City
|Occupation||President, Italia Independent
President, Independent Ideas, Founding Partner, LA Holding
Director of Brand Promotion, Fiat Group
|Known for||Grandson of Gianni Agnelli, Nephew of Umberto Agnelli, Cousin of Countess Bianca Brandolini d'Adda|
|Parent(s)||Countess Margherita Agnelli de Pahlen,
Lapo Eduard Elkann (born October 7, 1977) is a New York-born Italian entrepreneur and grandson of Gianni Agnelli, the former controlling CEO and controlling shareholder of Fiat Automobiles and one of the richest men in modern Italian history. Elkann, who was a Fiat marketing manager and manager of brand promotion at Group Fiat, is currently president of LA Holding, Italia Independent and Independent Ideas.
Early life and family
Member of the famous Agnelli family, Elkann was born in New York City, the son of Countess Margherita Agnelli de Pahlen and the American-born Italian writer Alain Elkann. He is the brother of John Elkann, the current Chairman of Fiat and the Chairman and CEO of Exor, an investment company controlled by the Agnelli family, which owns Juventus F.C., Cushman & Wakefield. Elkann is a grandson of famous Fiat chairman and style icon Gianni Agnelli and the famous art collector, noblewoman, socialite and style icon Marella Agnelli, born Donna Marella Caracciolo di Castagneto, as daughter of Don Filippo Caracciolo, 8th Prince of Castagneto, 3rd Duke of Melito, and a hereditary Patrician of Naples, and therefore member of the high Napolitan nobility. He is also a nephew of Don Carlo Caracciolo, 9th Prince of Castagneto, 3rd Duke of Melito, and a hereditary Patrician of Naples, that founded Gruppo Editoriale L’Espresso - owner of the newspaper la Repubblica, the largest circulation Italian daily general-interest newspaper, one of Italy's leading publishing groups, being known as "the editor prince," referring to his aristocratic birth and elegant manner. Elkann is also a stepson of Russian nobleman Count Sergei de Pahlen. In addition to his brother, John, he has a sister, Ginevra Elkann, and five half-siblings by his mother's second marriage: Maria, Pierre, Sophia, Anna, and Tatiana. He is also the grand-nephew of Ettore Ovazza.
In 2001, he worked as a personal assistant to Henry Kissinger. He was a marketing associate for Ferrari and Maserati. In 2003, he became Fiat's Director of Marketing. He coordinated the reinvention of classics like the Fiat Punto and Fiat 500. He received the America Award of the Italy-USA Foundation in 2011.
He then left the family group to create the first of his companies: Italia Independent, a lifestyle and clothing brand, featuring products conceived, developed, and produced in Italy. In 2007 he founded Independent Ideas, a communication and advertising agency.
Since 2011 he works as a consultant for Ferrari, for whom he runs the project Ferrari Tailor Made, launched together with Luca Cordero di Montezemolo to let Ferrari's clients customize their own supercar.
Awards and honors
Vanity Fair magazine listed him in its Best Dressed Hall of Fame of 2009. The magazine has previously named him on such lists. Nicknamed "Lapo of luxury" he was on the 2008 International Best Dressed List. He received the America Award of the Italy-USA Foundation in 2011.
|Ancestors of Lapo Elkann|
- Seal, Mark: "The Woman Who Wanted the Secrets," Vanity Fair, August 2008
- Barbie Latza Nadeau (2011-11-28). "Playboy Industrialist Lapo Elkann Wants to Remake Italy's Image - Newsweek and The Daily Beast". Thedailybeast.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Tales from Lapoland" Financial Times
- "Independent Ideas Portfolio"
- Sanderson, Rachel (2013-06-27). "Lapo Elkann’s Italia Independent set for Milan debut". FT.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Vanity Fair, September 2008
- [dead link]
- "Lapo Elkann: Ritratto/intervista dell'imprenditore trentenne che odia le mezze misure." [Portrait / interview thirty year old entrepreneur who hates half measures.] (in Italian). Marie Claire.it. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Peephole (August 24, 2009). "Lapo Elkann vuole essere ebreo e diventare un bravo padre" [Lapo Elkann wants to be jew and become a good father] (in Italian). Gossipblog. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Interview - Lapo Elkann, Fiat's head of brand promotions
- Interview - Lunch with the FT: Lapo Elkann
- Interview - A new definition of Italian luxury
- Website - Italia Independent
- Website - Independent Ideas