Donghae at U-Clean Concert
October 15, 1986
Mokpo, South Jeolla, South Korea
|Years active||2005–Hiatus (Military Service)|
|Revised Romanization||I Dong-hae|
Lee Dong-hae (hangul: 이동해; hanja: 李東海; born October 15, 1986) is a South Korean singer, songwriter and actor. He is a member of the boy band Super Junior, its subgroup Super Junior-M, and Super Junior-D&E, as well as the dance-centered group SM The Performance. He is one of the first four Korean artists to appear on Chinese postage stamps.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Donghae was born in Mokpo, South Jeolla Province, South Korea. His grandmother helped his mother to deliver him. He has an elder brother named Lee Dong-hwa . When he was young he wanted to become a football player but his dad wanted him to be a singer since he gave up of his dream to become one himself. In 2001, Donghae signed with SM Entertainment after winning a prize at SM's Youth Best Contest. Under SM Entertainment, Donghae was put in singing, dancing, and acting lessons, and was then recruited into a five-member boy band Smile, with future band mate Leeteuk, but the idea was soon dropped. In 2004, Donghae, along with Leeteuk were put into another boy band and formed Super Junior with ten other trainees.
2005–2011: Debut with Super Junior and other activities
Donghae officially debuted as part of 12-member project group Super Junior 05 on 6 November 2005. He made his acting debut in Super Junior's horror documentary Mystery 6, broadcast in early 2006. The documentary surrounds Donghae and his peculiar ability to see and feel ghosts. In August 2006, Donghae played the role of a human turned cyborg in the Korean version of BoA's music video drama, "Key of Heart".
He played a role in Attack on the Pin-Up Boys. In April 2008, Donghae was put into seven-member sub-group Super Junior-M. Donghae sang the theme song for the 2011 8th Asia Song Festival, "Dreams Come True", with Seohyun of Girls' Generation
In 2011, Donghae co-starred again with fellow member Siwon, in the Taiwanese drama Skip Beat! with Ivy Chen. He also sang the ending theme song, "This is Love," which also featured fellow Super Junior-M member Henry.
2012–2013: Acting, comeback with Super Junior and subgroups
In May 2012, Donghae was cast in the title role of Mr. Hedgehog in the romantic comedy Ms Panda and Mr Hedgehog. Donghae also sang his character Go Seung-gi's theme song "Plz Don't", which was released online on 20 August.
In June 2012, Donghae reunited with Super Junior for their sixth studio album, Sexy, Free & Single. In the repackaged edition of the album, re-titled Spy, Donghae co-wrote the lyrics for "Only U" with Leeteuk; and co-composed "Haru" with Urban Zakapa's Kwon Soon-il.
On January 7, 2013, Super Junior-M released their second album, Break Down. In June 2013 Donghae & Eunhyuk released their second Japanese single, and their second Korean single "Still You" on December 18, 2013.
2014–Present: Movie acting, comeback with Super Junior and subgroups
Donghae & Eunhyuk first Japanese album, Ride Me was released on 26 February 2014. "Motorcycle" was the lead single of the album. Super Junior D&E The 1st Japan Tour kicked off in Nagoya on March 4, 2014.
Due to a scheduling conflict, Donghae turned down the casting offer for horror film 'Tunnel'; however, he was later cast as the star lead in the short film The Youth-The Rumor. Donghae was to join the cast of God's Quiz Season 4 as Han Si Woo, a medical researcher. The show aired its first episode on May 18.
On August 2014, it was announced that Donghae and Super Junior would be making their comeback with the group's seventh album, Mamacita which was released online on August 29 and in stores on September 1. In the album, Donghae contributing music and lyrics to their second lead single, 'Shirt,' which received raises from Allkpop, "The track is one of the most energetic on the album beyond the title track."
In February 2015, Donghae & Eunhyuk first Korean album, The Beat Goes On was released on March 9, 2015. The album had seven tracks, including the title song, Growing Pains. Donghae participated in the album production along with producers Team One Sound, The Underdogs, Hitchhiker, NoizeBank and more. On April 1, Donghae & Eunhyuk released first Japanese mini-EP called Present, which contained a total of eight songs including the lead title "Saturday Night". The duo kicked off its concert tour "Super Junior D&E The 2nd Japan Tour" and "Super Junior-D&E Asia Tour" during April to August.
Super Junior special album, Devil was released on 16 July 2015 to celebrate the group's 10th anniversary. Donghae participated in writing lyrics and composing for two songs, "Don't Wake Me Up" and "Alright".
When he was 20 years old, Donghae lost his father to cancer. On 25 June 2006, Super Junior got the SBS Inkigayo Mutizen award, which was their first award. Donghae gave a thank you speech to his father who was sick.
On 2 September 2015, SM Entertainment announced that Lee Donghae would enlist as a conscripted policeman on 15 October 2015. On 15 October 2015, Donghae entered through the Nonsan Army Training Center in Chungnam on his birthday.
Soundtrack and singles contributions
|2007||The 2nd Asia Tour Concert Album "O"||Spokes Man||Donghae, TVXQ|
|2009||Happy Bubble CF OST||Happy Bubble||Donghae, Kyuhyun, Han Ji Min|
|2010||It's Okay, Daddy's Girl OST||Just Like Now||Donghae, Ryeowook|
|Strong Heart||Strong Heart||Donghae, One Way's Chance|
|2011||Only U||Only U||Donghae, As One|
|Asian Song Festival 2011 with UNICEF||Dreams Come True||Donghae, Seohyun|
|Skip Beat! OST||This is Love (這是愛)||Donghae, Henry|
|2012||Ms Panda and Mr Hedgehog OST||Please Don't||Donghae|
Lyrics and Composition
|2014||The Youth aka The Rumor ||Jung Woo|
|2010-2011||It's Okay, Daddy's Girl||Choi Wook Gi|
|2011-2012||Skip Beat!||Shang Jie Yong / Bu Po Shang|
|2012||Ms Panda and Mr Hedgehog||Go Seung Ji|
|2014||God's Quiz - Season 4||Han Shi Woo|
Music Video Appearance
|2008||"Kissing You"||Girls' Generation|
|2009||"S.E.O.U.L."||Super Junior & Girls' Generation|
|2010||SBS Strong Heart||Lee Donghae, Leeteuk, Shindong, Eunhyuk|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Singapore e-Awards 2013||Most Popular Korean Actor||Himself||Won|
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 39. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "Super Junior-M to appear on postage stamps". Newsen (in Korean). 2008-12-08. p. 1. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Super Junior Official Website".
- "李东海个人资料_CCTV.com_中国中央电视台". Ent.cctv.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Chinese)
- "2005 Super Junior's official debut" Ent.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Chinese)
- "SM Unveils 12-Membered Boy Group Named Super Junior" Arirang.co.kr. 27 October 2005. Retrieved 2011-12-25
- Cathy Rose A. Garcia "Super Junior Hits Big Screen" Korea Times. 8 July 2007. Retrieved 2012-04-03
- "Music and charity as Asia Song Fest wraps up its eighth year" Joongang Daily. 17 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-27
- 華麗4月開麥拉 敲定陳意涵 [Skip Beat! in production in April. Ivy Chan in lead role]. UDN News (in Chinese). 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Two Super Junior members to star in Taiwanese drama" Joongang Daily. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-27
- Kim, JiYeon "Super Junior’s Donghae and Eunhyuk Form a Duet" CJ E&M enewsWorld. 9 December 2011 Retrieved 2012-04-02
- Lee, Nancy "Donghae and Eunhyuk′s Oppa Oppa to be Released in Japan" Mnet News. 12 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-21
- Suk, Monica (22 May 2012). "Super Junior's Donghae to turn 'Mr. Hedgehog' from 'Mr. Simple' in new romantic comedy". 10 Asia. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (21 August 2012). "Super Junior's Donghae Sings and Raps for 'Ms. Panda and Mr. Porcupine' OST". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- Hong, Lucia (22 June 2012). "Super Junior Donghae shows new concept in teaser pic for Sexy, Free & Single". 10 Asia. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (2 August 2012). "Super Junior to Release Repackaged Album with Leeteuk, Donghae Self-Penned Tracks". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Jeon, Su Mi (January 3, 2013). "Super Junior-M to Release Second Studio Album in China". Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Super Junior’s Eunhyuk and Donghae Ride Their ‘Motorcycle’ in Short MV" Mnet News. 3 February 2014. Retrieved 2015-03-11
- "Super Junior-M to Release Mini Album 'Swing' and Begin Promotions". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2014-03-24. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "SUJU′s Donghae Thinks He Spent His Youth Being Good". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2014-11-05. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "Super Junior Donghae To Join 'God's Quiz 4'". kpopstarz. 2014-03-22. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- Ghim, Sora (August 28, 2014). "Super Junior To Release 7th Album August 29 At Midnight". bntnews. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "[Video] Super Junior′s Donghae and Eunhyuk Highlights ′The Beat Goes On′ Album". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2015-03-04. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "[Album] SUPER JUNIOR-D&E `The Beat Goes On`". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2015-03-06. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "Super Junior D&E to drop album in March". kpopherald. February 26, 2015. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- "Super Junior D&E Successfully Completes Second Japanese Tour". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2015-04-24. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "Super Junior D&E on a roll in tour". kpopherald. June 28, 2015. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- "Super Junior to Release Special Album 'Devil' on July 16". CJ E&M enewsWorld. July 8, 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "Super Junior Releases Its Highlight Medley Video". BNTNews. July 14, 2015. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- "Super Junior′s Eunhyuk, Donghae, Choi Siwon and TVXQ′s Max Changmin Confirm Enlistment Dates". CJ E&M enewsWorld. September 2, 2015. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "Super Junior's Siwon, Donghae, Eunhyuk And TVXQ's Changmin Have Confirmed Military Enlistment Dates". kdramastars. September 2, 2015. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "슈퍼주니어 동해 입대, 의무경찰로 군 복무 "곱게 돌아갈꺼에요" : 뉴스 : 동아닷컴". news.donga.com (in Korean). October 15, 2015. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- Super Junior’s Donghae to Attend the London Korean Film Festival CJ E&M enewsWorld. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 25 January 2015
- "Singapore e-Awards 2013" Singapore e-Awards
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Donghae.|