October 15, 1986
|Revised Romanization||I Dong-hae|
Lee Dong-hae (born October 15, 1986), referred to as Donghae, is a South Korean singer, songwriter, composer and actor. He became a trainee under SM Entertainment after winning a prize at SM's Youth Best Contest in 2001. After four years of training, Donghae debuted as a member of boy group Super Junior in November 2005. Since then, he has risen to prominence due to the group's success on the Asian music scene and further participated in the group's project groups Super Junior-M, Super Junior-D&E. He is one of the first four Korean artists to appear on Chinese postage stamps.
1986–2011: Early life and career beginnings
Donghae was born in Mokpo, South Jeolla Province, South Korea. His grandmother helped his mother to deliver him. He has an elder brother named Lee Dong-hwa. When he was young he wanted to become a football player but his dad wanted him to be a singer since he gave up of his dream to become one himself. In 2001, Donghae signed with SM Entertainment after winning a prize at SM's Youth Best Contest. Under SM Entertainment, Donghae was put in singing, dancing, and acting lessons, and was then recruited into a five-member boy band Smile, with future bandmate Leeteuk, but the idea was soon dropped. In 2004, Donghae, along with Leeteuk, was put into a twelve-member boy band named Super Junior 05.
Donghae officially debuted as part of 12-member project group Super Junior 05 on 6 November 2005. He made his acting debut in Super Junior's horror documentary Mystery 6, broadcast in early 2006. The documentary surrounds Donghae and his peculiar ability to see and feel ghosts. In August 2006, Donghae played the role of a human turned cyborg in the Korean version of BoA's music video drama, "Key of Heart".
In April 2008, a Super Junior's Chinese subgroup Super Junior-M was formed with Donghae and fellow members Hangeng, Siwon, Ryeowook, Kyuhyun, Henry, Zhou Mi. Their debut album, Me, debuted in Korea's MIAK Monthly Charts as #10  and reached #1 in China's Top in Music chart.
In 2010, he played in a drama It's Okay, Daddy's Girl.
In April 2011, Donghae co-starred again with fellow member Siwon, in the Taiwanese drama Skip Beat! with Ivy Chen. He also sang the ending theme song, "This is Love," which also featured fellow Super Junior-M member Henry.
On December 16, 2011, a Super Junior subgroup D&E was formed with Donghae and fellow member Eunhyuk. They began the project with released debut single Oppa, Oppa. The single was also released in Japanese, in April 2012.
2012–2015: Acting roles, Lyrics Writing and Composing, Military enlistment
In May 2012, Donghae was cast in the title role of Mr. Hedgehog in the romantic comedy Miss Panda and Mr. Hedgehog. Donghae also sang his character Go Seung-gi's theme song "Plz Don't", which was released online on 20 August.
In June 2012, Donghae reunited with Super Junior for their sixth studio album, Sexy, Free & Single. In the repackaged edition of the album, re-titled Spy, Donghae co-wrote the lyrics for "Only U" with Leeteuk; and co-composed "Haru" with Urban Zakapa's Kwon Soon-il.
In December 2012, Donghae joined SM new dance project group, S.M. The Performance, contributing his dance skill to covered performance for Zedd's Spectrum on SBS Gayo Daejeon on December 29 and later the song released digitally on December 30.
Due to a scheduling conflict, Donghae turned down the casting offer for horror film 'Tunnel'; however, he was later cast as the star lead in the short film The Youth-The Rumor. Donghae was to join the cast of Quiz of God Season 4 as Han Si Woo, a medical researcher. The show aired its first episode on May 18.
In March 2015, D&E's first Korean album, The Beat Goes On was released. Donghae was participated in the album production teamed up with producers Team One Sound to writing lyrics and composing two songs, the lead single "Growing Pains" and side single "Mother" .
In July 2015, Super Junior special album, Devil was released to celebrate the group's 10th anniversary. Donghae also participated in the album production with writing lyrics and composing two songs, "Don't Wake Me Up" and "Alright".
On September 2, 2015, S.M. Entertainment announced that Lee Donghae would enlist as a conscripted policeman on October 15, 2015. Donghae entered through the Nonsan Army Training Center in Chungnam on his birthday.
2017–Present: Returning to Super Junior and Super Junior Promotions
Donghae completed his military service on 14 July 2017 after serving for 21 months. Following the completion of his mandatory military service, he and fellow Super Junior member Eunhyuk, held a fan meeting for Super Junior-D&E Hello Again on July 23 at Sejong University Daeyang Hall and participated on SM TOWN Live World Tour VI in Japan on July 27–28.
On 27 September 2017, Super Junior's website began a countdown to November 6 -the date of their 12th anniversary- announcing it as their comeback date for their 8th album. "SJ Returns – Super Junior Real Comeback Story," a reality show featuring the idol group's development of their album, began airing on 9 October. Donghae participated in the album production of where he co-wrote with Eunhyuk and JDUB as well as co-composed with JDUB for a pre-release single "One More Chance". On 30 October 2017, the music video for "One More Chance" was released as a pre-release track for the upcoming album. On 6 November 2017 Super Junior's 8th Album "Play", was released in honor of Super Junior's 12th anniversary.
In 2017, Donghae and Eunhyuk announced their comeback as the duo group Super Junior D&E in Japan, where they would kick off a series of monthly release of Japanese singles where they will be releasing one song every month starting November 2017, and by sometime later 2018, compile all the released singles into a full Japanese album. On November 29, they released the first Japanese single of the series, titled "Here We Are". One month later, on December 26, D&E released the second Japanese single titled "You don't go". On January 31, 2018, SUPER JUNIOR-D&E released the third Japanese single titled "If You", written and composed by Donghae. On February 28, 2018, SUPER JUNIOR-D&E's released the fourth Japanese single titled "Circus". On March 28, 2018, the duo continued their ongoing Japanese series, the fifth single, titled "Lose It ". The music video was released in 3 episodes. The episodes were released on March 28, 2018, March 30, 2018, and April 1, 2018. On April 2, 2018, the full version of the music video was later released.
In December 2017, Donghae collaborated with Cadillac, where Donghae co-written lyrics and composed "Perfect" soundtrack for Cadillac.
Due to the success of SJ Returns, in January 2018, Donghae and his fellow Super Junior members started a new variety program Super TV in which varied entertainment formats are re-created and twisted in Super Junior's own way. The first season was released with 12 episodes where Donghae gained the nickname '0-hae' due to his lack of variety skills.
On September 2, 2015, SM Entertainment announced that Lee Dong-hae would enlist as a conscripted policeman on October 15, 2015. Donghae entered through the Nonsan Army Training Center in Chungnam on his birthday. He was discharged on July 14, 2017.
- Harmony (2020)
Soundtrack and singles contributions
|2007||The 2nd Asia Tour Concert Album "O"||Spokes Man||Donghae, Yunho|
|2009||Happy Bubble CF OST||Happy Bubble||Donghae, Kyuhyun, Han Ji Min|
|2010||It's Okay, Daddy's Girl OST||Just Like Now||Donghae, Ryeowook|
|Strong Heart||Strong Heart||Donghae, One Way's Chance|
|2011||Only U||Only U||Donghae, As One|
|Asian Song Festival 2011 with UNICEF||Dreams Come True||Donghae, Seohyun|
|Skip Beat! OST||This is Love (這是愛)||Donghae, Henry|
|2012||Miss Panda and Mr. Hedgehog OST||Please Don't||Donghae|
|2017||Perfect (Cadillac X DONGHAE)||Perfect (Cadillac X DONGHAE)||Donghae|
|2018||Top Management OST||Lovelove (사랑인가봐)||Donghae|
Lyrics and Composition
|2007||Attack on the Pin-Up Boys||Ultra Junior member and Kibum's best friend|
|2011||Super Show 3 3D ||Himself|
|2012||I AM. |
|2013||Super Show 4 3D |
|2014||The Youth aka The Rumor ||Jung Woo|
|TBA||You Belong Here||Hyun Soo / Jung Woo|
|2010-2011||It's Okay, Daddy's Girl||Choi Wook Gi|
|2011-2012||Skip Beat!||Shang Jie Yong / Bu Po Shang|
|2012||Miss Panda and Mr. Hedgehog||Go Seung Ji|
|2014||Quiz of God - Season 4||Han Shi Woo|
|2007||Secret Reports Super Summer||Mnet||Cast|
|2011||2011 Chuseok Special Star Ae-eungchon||SBS||Chuseok Special|
|2014||Super Junior's One Fine Day||MBC Plus, MBC Music||On December 31, 2014|
|2019||Analog Trip||Youtube Premium||A travel series, shot in Indonesia|||
|2020-2021||Idol Challenge: Another Class||SBS||MC||Seasons 1, 2|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Singapore e-Awards 2013||Most Popular Korean Actor||Himself||Won|
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 39. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "李东海个人资料_CCTV.com_中国中央电视台". Ent.cctv.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (in Chinese)
- "Super Junior-M to appear on postage stamps". Newsen (in Korean). 2008-12-08. p. 1. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Super Junior Official Website".
- "2005 Super Junior's official debut" Ent.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (in Chinese)
- "SM Unveils 12-Membered Boy Group Named Super Junior" Arirang.co.kr. 27 October 2005. Retrieved 2011-12-25
- Cathy Rose A. Garcia "Super Junior Hits Big Screen" Korea Times. 8 July 2007. Retrieved 2012-04-03
- "SJ-M members continue to unravel: Donghae and Siwon appears with new image". Sohu (in Chinese). 2008-04-05. p. 1. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- (in Korean) " MIAK Monthly Charts of April Archived 2008-11-12 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved May 17, 2008.
- (in Chinese) Top in Music
- 華麗4月開麥拉 敲定陳意涵 [Skip Beat! in production in April. Ivy Chan in lead role]. UDN News (in Chinese). 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Two Super Junior members to star in Taiwanese drama" Archived 2012-07-12 at Archive.today Joongang Daily. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-27
- "Music and charity as Asia Song Fest wraps up its eighth year" Archived 2012-07-12 at Archive.today Joongang Daily. 17 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-27
- Kim, JiYeon "Super Junior’s Donghae and Eunhyuk Form a Duet" CJ E&M enewsWorld. 9 December 2011 Retrieved 2012-04-02
- Lee, Nancy "Donghae and Eunhyuk′s Oppa Oppa to be Released in Japan" Archived 2012-07-11 at Archive.today Mnet News. 12 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-21
- Suk, Monica (22 May 2012). "Super Junior's Donghae to turn 'Mr. Hedgehog' from 'Mr. Simple' in new romantic comedy". 10 Asia. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (21 August 2012). "Super Junior's Donghae Sings and Raps for 'Ms. Panda and Mr. Porcupine' OST". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- Hong, Lucia (22 June 2012). "Super Junior Donghae shows new concept in teaser pic for Sexy, Free & Single". 10 Asia. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (2 August 2012). "Super Junior to Release Repackaged Album with Leeteuk, Donghae Self-Penned Tracks". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Archived from the original on 4 January 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Donghae turns down casting offer + Jung Yoo Mi and Dohee in talks for movie 'Tunnel'". allkpop. 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2019-09-10.
- "SUJU′s Donghae Thinks He Spent His Youth Being Good". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2014-11-05. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "Super Junior Donghae To Join 'God's Quiz 4'". kpopstarz. 2014-03-22. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- Ghim, Sora (August 28, 2014). "Super Junior To Release 7th Album August 29 At Midnight". bntnews. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-19. Retrieved 2014-09-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "[Video] Super Junior′s Donghae and Eunhyuk Highlights ′The Beat Goes On′ Album". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2015-03-04. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "[Album] SUPER JUNIOR-D&E `The Beat Goes On`". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2015-03-06. Archived from the original on 2018-12-03. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "Super Junior to Release Special Album 'Devil' on July 16". CJ E&M enewsWorld. July 8, 2015. Archived from the original on August 24, 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-30.
- "Super Junior Releases Its Highlight Medley Video". BNTNews. July 14, 2015. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- 슈퍼주니어 동해 입대, 의무경찰로 군 복무 "곱게 돌아갈꺼에요" : 뉴스 : 동아닷컴. news.donga.com (in Korean). October 15, 2015. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- ""외롭게 하지 않겠다"…동해, 남다른 팬사랑 담긴 전역소감".
- "슈퍼주니어 D&E, 도쿄 SM타운 무대 확정..전역 후 첫 슈주 무대". naver. July 17, 2017. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- 슈주 리턴즈 naver
- Herman, Tamar. "Super Junior Releases New Single 'One More Chance' Ahead of Upcoming 'Play' Album: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE". SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2018-02-21. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "SUPER JUNIOR-D&E / 11月29日配信限定楽曲「Here We Are」ミュージックビデオ フルVer.公開！！". avex. November 29, 2017. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE". SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "SUPER JUNIOR-D&E / 12月27日配信限定楽曲「You don't go」オフィシャルビデオ フルVer.公開！！". avex. December 26, 2017. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE". SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- avex (2018-01-31), SUPER JUNIOR-D&E / 「IF YOU」(Mobile Concept Video), retrieved 2018-02-07
- avex (2018-02-27), SUPER JUNIOR-D&E / 2月28日配信限定楽曲「Circus」コンセプトムービー公開！！, retrieved 2018-03-01
- "SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE". SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2018-03-01. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "Super Junior D&E become players in a 'Circus' video game for their newest Japanese single | allkpop.com". allkpop. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "Super Junior D&E continue their ongoing Japanese single series with teaser image for 'Lose It' | allkpop.com". allkpop. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- avex (2018-04-01), SUPER JUNIOR-D&E / 3月28日配信限定楽曲「LOSE IT」コンセプトムービー〜Full Ver〜, retrieved 2018-04-12
- "SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE". SUPER JUNIOR DONGHAE & EUNHYUK SPECIAL SITE (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2018-04-12. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- avex (2018-03-28), SUPER JUNIOR-D&E / 3月28日配信限定楽曲「LOSE IT」コンセプトムービー〜Episode1〜, retrieved 2018-04-12
- avex (2018-03-29), SUPER JUNIOR-D&E / 3月28日配信限定楽曲「LOSE IT」コンセプトムービー〜Episode2〜, retrieved 2018-04-12
- avex (2018-04-01), SUPER JUNIOR-D&E / 3月28日配信限定楽曲「LOSE IT」コンセプトムービー〜Episode3〜, retrieved 2018-04-12
- "SM Entertainment". www.smentertainment.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Super Junior Concert to Hit Screens in 3D". Chosun Ilbo. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "슈주 단독 콘서트 '슈퍼쇼4' 3D 영화로 재탄생". SBS. July 15, 2013. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- Super Junior’s Donghae to Attend the London Korean Film Festival Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine CJ E&M enewsWorld. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 25 January 2015
- "동방신기X슈퍼주니어, '아날로그 트립'서 추억여행..10월 공개". Naver (in Korean). September 11, 2019. Retrieved December 9, 2019.
- "Singapore e-Awards 2013" Singapore e-Awards
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Donghae.|
- Official website (in Korean)