List of tenants in 7 World Trade Center
|7 World Trade Center|
|Location||Vesey Street, New York, NY, 10007, United States|
|Construction started||October 2, 1984 |
|Destroyed||September 11, 2001|
|Roof||610 ft (190 m)|
|Floor area||2,000,000 sq ft (190,000 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Emery Roth & Sons|
|Structural engineer||Irwin Cantor|
The original 7 World Trade Center was a 47-story building, designed by Emery Roth & Sons, with a red granite facade. The building was 610 feet (190 m) tall, with a trapezoidal footprint that was 330 ft (100 m) long and 140 ft (43 m) wide. Tishman Realty & Construction managed construction of the building. The ground-breaking ceremony was hosted on October 2, 1984. The building opened in May 1987, becoming the seventh structure of the World Trade Center. It was destroyed in 2001 during the September 11 attacks, due to uncontrolled fires causing structural failure.
7 World Trade Center was 47 stories tall, clad in red granite masonry, and occupied a trapezoidal footprint. An elevated walkway spanning Vesey Street connected the building to the World Trade Center plaza. The building was situated above a Consolidated Edison power substation, which imposed unique structural design constraints. When the building opened in 1987, Silverstein had difficulties attracting tenants. Salomon Brothers signed a long-term lease in 1988 and became the anchor tenant of 7 WTC.
On September 11, 2001, the structure was substantially damaged by debris when the nearby North Tower of the World Trade Center collapsed. The debris ignited fires on multiple lower floors of the building, which continued to burn uncontrolled throughout the afternoon. The building's internal fire suppression system lacked water pressure to fight the fires. The collapse began when a critical internal column buckled and triggered cascading failure of nearby columns throughout, which was first visible from the exterior with the crumbling of a rooftop penthouse structure at 5:20:33 pm. This initiated progressive collapse of the entire building at 5:21:10 pm, according to FEMA,: 23 while the 2008 NIST study placed the final collapse time at 5:20:52 pm.: 19, 21, 50–51 The collapse made 7 World Trade Center the first steel skyscraper known to have collapsed primarily due to uncontrolled fires.
A new 7 World Trade Center was built in 2002 and completed in 2006.
|Tenant||Square Feet Leased||Floors Occupied||Industry||Notes|
|Salomon Smith Barney||1,202,900||0–6, 13, 18–46||Financial Institutions|
|Internal Revenue Service Regional Council||90,430||24, 25||Government|
|U.S. Secret Service||85,343||9,10||Government|
|American Express Bank International||106,117||7, 8, 13||Financial Institutions|
|Standard Chartered Bank||111,398||10, 13, 26, 27||Financial Institutions|
|Provident Financial Management||9,000||7, 13||Financial Institutions|
|ITT Hartford Insurance Group||122,590||19–21||Financial Institutions|
|First State Management Group||4,000||21||Insurance|
|Federal Home Loan Bank||47,490||22||Financial Institutions|
|Securities & Exchange Commission||106,117||11, 12, 13||Government|
|New York City Office of Emergency Management||45,815||23||Government|
- Berger, Joseph (1984-10-01). "Work Set on Last Trade Center Unit". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- History of the Twin Towers.PANYNJ.gov. 2013. Retrieved September 11, 2015
- "Final Report on the Collapse of World Trade Center Building 7 – Draft for Public Comment" (PDF). NIST. August 2008. pp. xxxii. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 28, 2008.
- "Trade Center Tenants". CNN. CNN. 2001. Retrieved 25 September 2021.
- "Report: CIA Lost Office In WTC". CBS. CBS News. November 5, 2001. Retrieved 25 September 2021.
- "Building: 7 World Trade Center". War Against Terror. CNN. 2001. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Gilsanz, Ramon; et al. (September 2002). "Chapter 5: WTC Seven" (PDF). World Trade Center Building Performance Study. Federal Emergency Management Agency. Retrieved 26 October 2010. External link in
|Lists of tenants of the WTC complex on 9/11|
|One WTC | 2 WTC | 5 WTC | 6 WTC | 7 WTC|