Madam Secretary (TV series)
|Created by||Barbara Hall|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||22 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||44 minutes|
|Distributor||CBS Television Distribution|
|Original release||September 21, 2014– present|
Madam Secretary is an American political drama television series created by Barbara Hall and executive produced by Lori McCreary and Morgan Freeman. It stars Téa Leoni as Elizabeth Faulkner McCord, a CIA analyst who is promoted to United States Secretary of State. The series premiered on CBS on September 21, 2014. On October 27, 2014, CBS placed a full season order consisting of 22 episodes for the first season.
On January 12, 2015, Madam Secretary was renewed for a second season.
Cast and characters
- Téa Leoni as Dr. Elizabeth Faulkner McCord; United States Secretary of State, prior CIA analyst and college professor
- Tim Daly as Dr. Henry McCord; Elizabeth's husband, a Georgetown theology professor, prior NSA spy and pilot within the United States Marine Corps
- Bebe Neuwirth as Nadine Tolliver, Elizabeth's Chief of Staff
- Željko Ivanek as Russell Jackson, White House Chief of Staff
- Erich Bergen as Blake Moran, Elizabeth's personal assistant
- Patina Miller as Daisy Grant, Elizabeth's press coordinator
- Geoffrey Arend as Matt Mahoney, Elizabeth's speechwriter
- Kathrine Herzer as Alison McCord, Elizabeth and Henry's younger daughter
- Evan Roe as Jason McCord, Elizabeth and Henry's son
- Wallis Currie-Wood as Stephanie "Stevie" McCord, Elizabeth and Henry's older daughter
- Sebastian Arcelus as Jay Whitman, Elizabeth's policy advisor
- Patrick Breen as Andrew Munsey, Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- Keith Carradine as President Conrad Dalton
- Josh Hamilton as Arthur Gilroy, Stevie's microloan employer and boyfriend.
- Marin Hinkle as Isabelle Barnes, a CIA analyst and Elizabeth's close friend
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||22||September 21, 2014||May 3, 2015|
|2||22||October 4, 2015||TBA|
In Canada, the series airs on Global at the same time as the original broadcast. In Australia, it premiered on October 2, 2014 on Network Ten. On October 23, 2014, it was announced that it will air on Sky Living in the United Kingdom, along with new formats to air TV3 in Ireland, and other international channels. The series launched in the United Kingdom on 23 April 2015. In the Philippines, it will premiere on 2nd Avenue starting on April 28.
|Season||Time slot (ET)||Episodes||Premiered||Ended||TV season||Rank||Viewers
Madam Secretary has been met with generally positive reviews from TV critics. On Metacritic, the show has a score of 66 out of 100, based on 31 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". On Rotten Tomatoes, the show holds a rating of 66%, based on 50 reviews, with an average rating of 6.9/10. The site's consensus reads, "Bolstered by Tea Leoni's strong central performance, Madam Secretary is a solid but unspectacular political drama."
|2015||American Cinema Editors Awards 2015||Best Edited One-Hour Series for Commercial Television||Elena Maganini and Michael D. Ornstein||Nominated|
|41st People's Choice Awards||Favorite Actress in a New TV Series||Téa Leoni||Nominated|
|Favorite New TV Drama||Madam Secretary||Nominated|
- Goldberg, Lesley (March 17, 2014). "'Smash's' Katharine McPhee to Star in CBS Genius Drama (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 9, 2014). "CBS Orders 'CSI: Cyber', 'NCIS: New Orleans', 'The Odd Couple', 'Stalker', 'Madam Secretary', 'Scorpion' & 'The McCarthys'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- Swift, Andy (May 9, 2014). "Fall TV: CBS Orders NCIS and CSI Spin-Offs, Odd Couple, Kevin Williamson's Stalker and 4 More to Series (But Not How I Met Your Dad?)". TVLine. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- CBS Gives Full Season Orders to 'Scorpion', 'Madam Secretary', 'NCIS: New Orleans' & 'Stalker'
- CBS Renews Madam Secretary, Scorpion, NCIS: New Orleans
- Andreeva, Nellie (21 May 2014). "Željko Ivanek Upped To Regular On New CBS Drama Series Madam Secretary". Deadline. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
Emmy-winning character actor Željko Ivanek (Damages) has joined the cast of CBS' new drama series Madam Secretary as a regular after guest starring in the pilot.
- "CBS Studios Shows - 2015/16 Season - Episodes Orders Revealed". SpoilerTV. August 17, 2015. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- Birnbaum, Debra (July 14, 2015). "Madeleine Albright to Guest Star on ‘Madam Secretary’". Variety. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- Wilford, Denette (June 4, 2014). "Global TV Lineup Fall 2014-15: Shaw Media Making Bold Moves". The Huffington Post. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Knox, David (September 28, 2014). "Madam Secretary". TV Tonight. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- The Deadline Team (October 23, 2014). "‘Madam Secretary’ Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland: Global Briefs". Deadline. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Sky Living Sets UK Premiere Date Madam Secretary". TVWise. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 23, 2014). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'The Good Wife' & 'American Dad' Adjusted Up; '60 Minutes' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 5, 2015). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Family Guy' & 'Secrets and Lies' Adjusted Up'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 22, 2015). "Full 2014-15 Series Rankings". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Madeleine Albright to Guest Star on ‘Madam Secretary’
- "Madam Secretary : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Madam Secretary: Season 1 (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Adam Chitwood (January 2, 2015). "Nightcrawler, Gone Girl, and Boyhood Land ACE Editing Awards Nominations". Collider. Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- "41st People's Choice Awards nominees". People's Choice Awards. Retrieved November 12, 2014.