|• Total||333 km2 (129 sq mi)|
|Elevation||4 m (13 ft)|
|• Density||9.0/km2 (23/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||97:109 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Ernakulam|
Madaplathuruth is a village in Paravur Taluk, state of Kerala. Formerly known as Kuriapilly, it was a part of the Travancore kingdom in the British India. The village is 22 km away from Kochi. The ancient seaport of India, Muziris is located in Pattanam village 0.7 km away from this village.
- 1 Overview
- 2 History
- 3 Geography
- 4 Significance
- 5 Flora and fauna
- 6 Lifestyle
- 7 Health
- 8 Economy
- 9 Sponsorship Program
- 10 Religion
- 11 Member of Lok Sabha Constituency - Ernakulam
- 12 Member of Legislative Assembly - Parur
- 13 Member of Panchayat - Vadakkekara
- 14 Amenities
- 15 Transport
- 16 References
The various denominations of modern Saint Thomas Christians ascribe their unwritten tradition to the end of the 2nd century and believe that Thomas landed at Maliankara near Madaplathuruth village in AD 52.
Olden times Madaplathuruth was known for coir products and handloom clothes. But nowadays it is well known by the marble and granite showrooms.
Madaplathuruth was under the administration of king. Paravur king was joined hands with Kochi and was under the country of Kochi, but later Paravur was transferred to the Travancore area as part of an agreement. Before independence most of the area under an old Land Lords of Othumbukattil Malayalam ഒതുംബ്ബുംകാട്ടില്family Appukuttamenon. Land area is about 333 acres And before independence a large area of Appukuttamenon was bought by Chalamanamel family(From Kuriapilly South to South Madaplathuruth). Currently in the government records that area is known as Chalmanamel Padam Malayalam ചാലമനമേല് പാടം. The same name is using for village registration and other government activity.
Madaplathuruth is located at 10.15°N 76.20°E. It has an average elevation of 4 metres (12 feet).
The village is situated at north end of Ernakulam district. The towns Kodungallore, Munambam are located near by. Madaplathuruth lies in the flat delta region of the Periyar river and is cut by several canals, which have resulted in the formation of many islands. The Kodungalloor Kayal (backwaters) and many small canals (backwaters) are in this village.
Madaplathuruth village is larger village and a thickly populated area between Thuruthippuram and Moothakunnam was known for coir products. Most of the people were connected with this small scale industry. The rest of the people were engaged in khadi cloth manufacturing, handloom and building construction fields. Now this place is known for the showrooms of marbles and granites. The same village is famous for its highly skilled manpower in construction, wooden works, sweet sand miners from the river Periyar.
Flora and fauna
This island has one of the highest densities of coconut trees. The island also boasts a wide range of other birds and animals. The kingfisher (നീലപ്പൊന്മാന്) is common in this island and other birds include black bulbul (depending on the season) brown falcon, crow, woodpecker, sparrow, raven, pigeon, African fish eagle and cuckoo. The island also has cows, goats etc. There are many sarpa kavu (abode of snakes, സര്പ്പക്കാവ്) near to the Hindu Nair homes and temples.
Madaplathuruth is thickly populated.
98% of population benefits one school within a distance of 1 km. An upper primary school within a distance of 1.5 km is available for more than 96% of the people, whose 98% benefit the facility for secondary education within 5 km.The access for village students to higher educational institutions like engineering, medical, arts, science, TTC, M.edu, ITCs are within a distance of 3 km and are facilitated by widely subsidised transport fares. Most of them run by HMDP Sabha(The Hindu Matha Dharma Paripalana Sabha) Moothakunnam, Christian managements and by Government. 98% of institutions are aided by Kerala state government.
Satellite television services are available through Doordarshan Direct Plus, Dish TV Sun Direct and Tata Sky. The Multisystem operators in Madaplathuruth are Asianet, Kerala Vision, Citi Cable.
- 90.7% house own telephones and 99% have mobile phones.
Bharath Rural Hospital is the main hospital with 100 bed capacity. There is another clinic is running in south madaplathuruth governed by Sisters of Saint Elisabeth. Few Homie and Ayurveda clinic are also available in this village. Government Hospital in Mothakunnam is also near to this village.
The main business is the trade shoppes, stationary. Here we can see marble selling shoppes. At least ninety-five percent of the population is above the poverty line. Few inhabitants are government employees. In the past, most of the men were coir,khadi workers but now, most of the village's population is employed in the construction, and marble industry and also few people are in abroad( mainly in Gulf) and in IT industries(Bangalore, Hyderabad,and Mumbai. A family's average income is about four to ten dollars per day.
Sisters of St Elizabeth run child sponsorship programs in this village, Without considering The religion or cast they are selecting children and they will arrange a sponsor from Italy, Switzerland and other European nations.
They use the funds directly for the child and their immediate community or family for their school fees and other educational needs. All these programs are controlled by the vicar of St George Church Madaplathuruth. They are also sponsoring major operation like Cardiac,Urinal and different types of tumors etc.
The people tend to co-operative and conservative, and the main religions are Hindus(Ezava,Nair,Dhevara,Harijans), Christians(Catholics, Protestant) and a few Muslims etc. There are Christian churches i.e. St. George Church, Unni Mishika chapel, St Sebastien Chapel, St Antony Minor Church are in Madaplathuruth. Also there are some family temples too most of them are owned to Hindu Nair family like Thattaruparambil, Othumbukattil, Jnodil, Kozhupilly etc.
Andippillikavu Bagavathi temple (Kavu) is located here. This temple has a history of more than 500 years. There is HDPY English medium senior secondary school near to this temple.
Kuruppasserry Varkey Thomas (born 10 May 1946), commonly known as K. V. Thomas, is an Indian politician from Kumbalangi in Ernakulam district, Kerala, India. He currently represents the Ernakulam Constituency of the 16th Lok Sabha. He was the Minister of State in the Ministry of Agriculture and Minister of State in the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, 2nd UPA Government; a member of the Indian Parliament; and a member of All India Congress Committee (since 1984).
Member of Panchayat - Vadakkekara
- Madaplathuruthu-west Ward No 6 - Hochmin Master, LDF.
- Madaplathuruthu-south Ward No 7 - Vijayamma, UDF.
- Andippilly Kkavu Ward No 8 - Reshma Gopi, LDF.
- Madaplathuruthu- East Ward No 9 - K P Gopinath, UDF. He belongs to old family Othumbukattil described above.
- Vadakkekara Police station (Circle), Andipillykavu
- Kerala Police quarters, Andipillykavu
- Veterinary hospital, Andipillykavu
- Cristhu Raja Shopping complex, Kappelapadi
- Cristhu Raja Sangam, Madaplathuruth
- Bharath Rural Hospital, Kuriapilly South
- BSNL office-Area code MKM 0484-248, Kuriapilly
- KSEB office, Kuriapilly
- Vadakkekara Vyapari Vyavasai Association.(Merchant Association), Laber Junction(Kuriapilly South)
- Italian garment factory, ThekkeMadaplathuruth
- Kuriapilly Khadhi Co-Operative Society
- Rural Hospital, ThekkeMadaplathuruth run by sisters of St Elizabeth Italy
- English medium school, ThekkeMadaplathuruth run by sisters of St Elizabeth Italy
- Madaplathuruth Vividodesa Sahaya Sangham, Kappelapadi
- More than ten Different types of funeral societies.
- Unnimisiha Sangham Madaplathuruth
- Spic LPG agency, Kuriappilly.
- Hindu rituals teaching center, Kappelapadi
- Pullarkadu Shopping complex, Laber Junction(Kuriapilly South)
- Nirmala Homeo Clinic, Kuriapilly near NH-17
- Gurudeva Shopping complex, Kuriapilly
- Harijan Sahaya Sangham, Kuriapilly South
- Universal Engineering, Kuriapilly South
- Onanilavu Residential Association, Kuriapilly South
- HDPY school, Andipillykkavu
- National Highway 66 passing through the middle of this village
- Proposed new Highway 66
- Heavy transport road from Vallarpadam container terminal
- PWD road from Kuriapilly South to Munambam
- Many small village roads all are paved with bitumen.
- Another way of transport is through canals. Most of the sweet sand is transferred by canals.
Bus Stops in NH 66(Former NH 17)
- Gothuruthkadavu, Gothuruth Ferry.
- Toddy shop/Toddy Parlor, Kuriappilly.
- Lakshmi Marbles and Granite, Kuriappilly.
- Nirmala Homeo Clinic (Dr. Ernest), Kuriappilly.
- Dr. Ananadan(homeopathy), Kuriappilly.
- Dr. Anishad(homeopathy), Kuriappilly.
- Priyadarshini Driving School, Kuriappilly.
- Kuriapilly South(Labour Junction).
- Vadakkekara Vyapari Vyavasayi Association, Kuriappilly.
- Geethangaly Video Shop, Kuriappilly.
- Medical Shops
- Dr Alphy MBBS. MD Retired Government Medical Officer.
- Heavy Tools Rental.
- Hardware Shops.
- Internet Browsing Center.
- Photostat/Xerox Center.
- Sawmill, Madaplathuruth
- To places like Valiaparambu, Thekkethuruth.
- Kuriapilly South.
- Unnimisiha Chapel(Infant Jesus), Kuriapilly.
- St. George Church, Madaplathuruth.
- Kristhuraja Swayam Sahaya Sangam.
- Hindu ritual teaching center.
- KumayamMakers Shell based Industries.
- Veterinary Hospital
- Vadakkekkara Police Station.
- To places like Thekkemadaplathuruth (South Madaplathuruth).
- D Suresh Kumar (13 October 2008). "Kerala tops primary education index". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- "Press Release"
- "Destinazione India"
- Govt. of India Council of Ministers
- Fifteenth Lok Sabha Members' Home Page
- AICC Members from Kerala
- "Sisters of St. Elizabeth." The Catholic Encyclopedia Vol. 5. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1909. 17 June 2016