Miami City Ballet
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Miami City Ballet|
|Name||Miami City Ballet|
|Founders||Toby Ansin, Edward Villella|
Ophelia & Juan Js. Roca Center2200 Liberty Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139
|Artistic Director||Lourdes Lopez|
|Ballet Master||Roma Sosenko (Principal), Joan Latham, Arnold Quintane|
|Principal Conductor||Gary Sheldon|
|Official school||Miami City Ballet School|
Miami City Ballet is an American ballet company based in Miami Beach, Florida, led by artistic director Lourdes Lopez. MCB was founded in 1985 by Toby Lerner Ansin a Miami philanthropist. She and the founding board hired Edward Villella, former New York City Ballet principal dancer to be the founding artistic director.
A bulk of the company's repertoire is made up of the work of George Balanchine, though the company also performs works by Jerome Robbins, Twyla Tharp, Trey McIntyre, Mark Morris, Jimmy Gamonet, who was the company's founding Resident Choreographer and Ballet Master from 1986 to 1999, Christopher Wheeldon, Justin Peck, and others, in addition to traditional full-length works including "Giselle" and "Don Quixote".
Miami City Ballet features an international ensemble of over 45 dancers. The company has an active repertoire of 88 ballets and performs over 100 times annually. Miami City Ballet serves as the resident ballet company in theaters in the Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and West Palm Beach areas. In addition, the company regularly tours both domestically and internationally. Its North American appearances include the Kennedy Center, the 1996 Olympic Arts Festival, Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, the Orange County Performing Arts Center, and the New York City Center; while theaters and festivals in Europe, Central America, South America, and Israel have hosted the company.
- The Miami Herald Wednesday, May 21, 1997, Page 1 D, Living & Arts Section, A Woman of Vision
- "MCB Repertoire". Miami City Ballet. Retrieved February 18, 2009.
- Wakin, Daniel (April 2, 2012). "Lourdes Lopez Named New Director of Miami City Ballet". New York Times. Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- "Miami company makes its mark on the jaded NY crowd". International Herald Tribune. Associated Press. January 28, 2009. Archived from the original on February 5, 2009. Retrieved February 18, 2009.
- "Miami City Ballet: About Us". Miami City Ballet. Retrieved February 18, 2009.