Moscow metropolitan area
Московская агломерация (Russian)
|Federal subject|| Moscow |
|Largest city||Moscow (13,010,112)|
|• Metro||48,360 km2 (18,670 sq mi)|
|• Metro density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Gross Domestic Product|
|• Total||₽31.303 trillion|
US$425 billion (2021)
|• Per capita||₽1,453,600|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (UTC)|
The Moscow metropolitan area (Russian: Московская агломерация) or Moscow capital region (Russian: Московский столичный регион) is the largest metropolitan area in Russia as well as in Europe, with a population of around 21.5 million. It consists of the city of Moscow and surrounding areas in Moscow Oblast.
The related term Moscow region (Московский регион) is used unofficially to describe Moscow and Moscow Oblast together. However, formally, they are two separate federal subjects.
Structure and population estimation
|Subdivision||Area km2||Population||Gross Regional Product|
|Moscow Oblast||44300||8,524,665||₽6.833 trillion|
|Moscow Region||46862||21,534,777||₽31.303 trillion|
The Moscow metropolitan area includes the city of Moscow, population 12,197,596, a ring of cities annexed to it and administered within (Balashikha, Korolyov, Krasnogorsk, Khimki, Mytishchi and Zelenograd), as well as large nearby towns with population of over 100,000 citizens (Reutov, Zheleznodorozhny, Podolsk and Lubertsy, to name a few) that fall under regional administration. Administratively, all those towns are a part of the Moscow Oblast. The metropolitan area has thus no coordinated administration structures, and no official population statistics.
The population of the Moscow region is the sum of populations of the city (13,010,112) and surrounding oblast (8,524,665), coming to 21,534,777 – about 14% of the entire Russian population.
- "Preliminary estimate of the resident population as of January 1, 2023 and on average for 2022 (taking into account the results of the 2020 All-Russian Population Census) . Federal State Statistics Service (January 31, 2023)", www.rosstat.gov.ru
- "Валовой региональный продукт по субъектам Российской Федерации в 2016-2021гг". www.rosstat.gov.ru.
- ""GRP volume at current basic prices (billion rubles)"". rosstat.gov.ru.
- Rosstat. Popul2015.xls (in Russian)
- Information taken and translated directly from the Russian Wikipedia page, using its sources.