Night at the Museum (film series)
|Night at the Museum|
|Directed by||Shawn Levy|
|Based on||The Night at the Museum|
by Milan Trenc
|Music by||Alan Silvestri|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Box office||$1.31 billion|
Night at the Museum is a trilogy of fantasy-comedy films beginning in 2006 and ending in 2014. All three films, based on the children's book The Night at the Museum by Milan Trenc, are directed by Shawn Levy and written by Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon. Starring Ben Stiller as a museum night security guard named Larry, the films also star an ensemble cast featuring Owen Wilson, Robin Williams, Ricky Gervais, Steve Coogan, Patrick Gallagher, Rami Malek, Mizuo Peck, Mickey Rooney, Bill Cobbs and Dick Van Dyke.
Night at the Museum (2006)
When Larry Daley (Ben Stiller), a divorced father who can't seem to keep a job for more than a week, applies for a job at the American Museum of Natural History, he is assigned as a night guard. However, a seemingly easy job turns out to be a wild ride when he finds that an ancient spell has caused the "inhabitants" of the museum to come to life.
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009)
Two years after the previous film, several of the exhibits are transferred to the Smithsonian in Washington, DC, and Dexter the monkey steals the tablet of Ahkmenrah, Larry must break in and team up with his old friends, and new ally Amelia Earheart to get it back from Ahkmenrah's resurrected evil brother Kahmunrah before morning.
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014)
Five years after the previous film, Larry discovers that the tablet of Ahkmenrah's magic is failing. So he, his now-teenage son Nick, along with Teddy Roosevelt, Sacagewea, Jedediah, Octavius, Dexter, Attila the Hun, and a new caveman figure named Laaa (who looks like Larry) travel to a fictional version of the British Museum to undo the curse with the help of Ahkmenrah's parents, and the narcissistic Sir Lancelot of Camelot before the tablet's magic disappears forever.
CEO of 20th Century Fox Stacey Snider announced that a television series based on Night at the Museum is currently being developed. With the acquisition by Disney, it is increasingly likely that it will appear on one of their platforms.
|Title||U.S. release date||Budget||Box office gross||Box office ranking||Ref(s)|
|North America||Other territories||Worldwide||All time
|Night at the Museum||December 22, 2006||$110 million||$30,433,781||$250,863,268||$323,617,573||$574,480,841||#100||#123|||
|Battle of the Smithsonian||May 22, 2009||$150 million||$54,173,286||$177,243,721||$235,862,449||$413,106,170||#221||#220|||
|Secret of the Tomb||December 19, 2014||$127 million||$17,100,520||$113,746,621||$249,458,014||$363,204,635||#516||#272|||
|Totals||$387 million||$ 101,707,587||$ 541,853,610||$ 808,938,036||$ 1,350,791,646|||
Critical and public response
|Night at the Museum||44% (131 reviews)||48 (28 reviews)||A-|
|Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian||44% (163 reviews)||42 (31 reviews)||B+|
|Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb||48% (104 reviews)||47 (33 reviews)||B+|
Cast and characters
- Note: A gray cell indicates that character did not appear in that film.
|Night at the Museum||Shawn Levy||Shawn Levy,
|Robert Ben Garant,
|Alan Silvestri||Guillermo Navarro||Don Zimmerman|
|Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian||John Schwartzman||Don Zimmerman,|
|Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb||Robert Ben Garant,
|Guillermo Navarro||Dean Zimmerman|
- Paz, Maggie Dela (August 10, 2018). "Fox Developing Wimpy Kid, Ice Age, and Night at the Museum TV Shows". Coming Soon.net. Retrieved August 11, 2018.
- "Night at the Museum (2006)". Box Office Mojo.
- "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009)". Box Office Mojo.
- "Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014)". Box Office Mojo.
- "Night at the Museum franchise". boxofficemojo.com. IMDB. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Night at the Museum". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Night at the Museum". metacritic.com. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Cinemascore". Cinemascore.com. CinemaScore. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian". metacritic.com. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb". metacritic.com. Retrieved February 8, 2015.