The Nishan-e-Pakistan (Urdu: نشان پاکستان, English: Order of Pakistan) is the highest of civil awards and decorations given by the Government of Pakistan for the highest degree of service to the country and nation of Pakistan. The award was established on 19 March 1957.
The Nishan-e-Pakistan, unlike other honours, is a highly restricted and most prestigious award and is only conferred for the merit and distinguished services to the country, international community, and foreign relations. This award, like other civilian awards, is announced on 14 August each year and its investiture takes place on following 23 March. Recipients are entitled to the post-nominal NPk.
Foreign recipients of Nishan-e-Pakistan
Recipients of the Hilal-e-Pakistan
Hilal-e-Pakistan (Crescent of Pakistan), stands second in hierarchy of civilian awards after the Nishan-E-Pakistan.
|Amin Ahmed||Chief Justice of Dhaka High Court||Pakistan|
|1958||Emperor Haile Selassie||Emperor of Ethiopia||Ethiopia|
|1989||Ruth Pfau||Nun and Leprosy Doctor||Germany|
|1995||Sir Gerald Kaufman||British Labour Party politician and Member of Parliament||United Kingdom|
|2005||Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan||Minister of Culture, UAE||United Arab Emirates|
|2008||Joe Biden||US Vice President||United States|
|2011||Ronald Noble||Secretary-General of Interpol||United States|
|2012||Yang Jiechi||Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China||China|
Recipients of the Sitara-e-Pakistan
Sitara-e-Pakistan (Star of Pakistan), stands third in hierarchy of civilian awards after the Nishan-e-Pakistan and the Hilal-e-Pakistan.
|1958||Aslam Khattak||politician/chairman, Human Rights Commission of Pakistan||Pakistan|
|1959||Abdus Salam||scientist and Science Advisor to the Government||Pakistan|
|1965||Air Commodore Władysław Turowicz||military scientist and engineer||Pakistan|
|1965||Vice-Admiral Syed Mohammad Ahsan||Naval intelligence officer and Chief of Naval Staff||Pakistan|
|1966||A G N Kazi||Chairman Water and Power Development Authority||Pakistan|
|1971||Rear Admiral Leslie Mungavin||Naval Officer||Pakistan|
|1972||Chief Justice Bashiruddin Ahmed Khan||Judge||Pakistan|
|Akhtar Hameed Khan||Social scientist, he pioneered microcredit, microfinance, and rural development initiatives||Pakistan|
|Sandy Gall||journalist||United Kingdom|
|Habibullah Khan Khattak||for action in Burma during World War II||Pakistan|
|Bronte Clucas Quayle, CB, OBE, QC,||for his services in drafting the Constitution of Pakistan||Australia|
|1991||James M. Shera, MBE||Politician, Head of the International Curriculum Support Services, Education Department||United Kingdom|
|2006||Grace Warren||surgeon, leprosy expert||Australia|
|2009||Greg Mortenson||humanitarian, Central Asia Institute - for promoting girls' literacy and education, and establishing schools in Pakistan||United States|
|2008||Khaled Almaeena||journalist, Saudi Gazette - Journalism||Saudi Arabia|
|2009||An Qiguang||Former Counsel General of China in Karachi for his notable services in strengthening the relations between Pakistan and China||China|
|2012||Rowan Douglas Williams||Anglican bishop, Archbishop of Canterbury, public services to Pakistan||United Kingdom|
|2014||General C. S. Weerasooriya||Former Sri Lankan High Commissioner to Pakistan||Sri Lanka|
Recipients of the Tamgha-e-Pakistan
Tamgha-e-Pakistan (Medal of Pakistan), stands fourth in hierarchy of civilian awards after the Nishan-e-Pakistan, Hilal-e-Pakistan, Sitara-e-Pakistan.
|1967||Hermanegild Marcos Antonio Drago||Community||Pakistan|
|1968||Aslam Azhar||Television Broadcasting||Pakistan|
|1971||Ahmed Hussain A Kazi||Public Service||Pakistan|
|1987||Neerja Harish Bhanot||Public Service||India|
|2012||Emmanuel Nicholas||Community (Education)||Sri Lanka|
|2012||Li Xiaolin||Community (Investment)||China|
- Richard Nixon, Remarks on Accepting the Nishan-e-Pakistan, Published 1 Aug 1969, Retrieved 28 May 2016
- "In recognition of his sense of commitment in promoting social and economic welfare activities of Pakistan", ismaili.net website, Published 23 March 1983, Retrieved 28 May 2016
- When India and Pakistan almost made peace, Morarji Desai and Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq meeting in Kenya, Rediff.com newspaper website, Published 11 July 2001, Retrieved 28 May 2016
- Foreign Honorary Awards of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
- List of Nelson Mandela awards and honours
- "Mandela in Pakistan". The Independent UK newspaper. 1992-10-03. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "The Al-Busaid Dynasty: Genealogy". Royalark.net. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- King Abdullah ends Asian tour with state visit to Pakistan
- "Informatoin missing.". Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Subramanian, Nirupama (Nov 25, 2006). "Hu Jintao awarded Nishan-e-Pakistan". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Erdogan: Pakistan, Turkey can together bring peace to region
- "Erdogan conferred Nishan-e-Pakistan". The Nation. APP. October 27, 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Nawaz thanks Gul for supporting Pakistan in hard times". The News International. April 2, 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Turkish President arrives on four-day visit". Dunya News. March 30, 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Chinese PM awarded Nishan-e-Pakistan on arrival in Islamabad". Express Tribune. May 22, 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Nishan-e-Pakistan award conferred on Xi Jinping". The Hindu. PTI. Apr 21, 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- http://www.phclondon.org/infodiv/pressreleases/20170227_hc_condoles_the_death_of_sir_gerald_kaufman_mp.aspx, Gerald Kaufman's Hilal-i-Pakistan Award listed on Pakistan High Commissioner office website, Retrieved 6 March 2017
- https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/190147-Tribute-to-Sir-Gerald-Kaufman-a-great-friend-of-Pakistan, Gerald Kaufman's Hilal-i-Pakistan Award listed on The News International newspaper website, Published 4 March 2017, Retrieved 6 March 2017
- "Pakistan honours INTERPOL". Interpol. March 24, 2011. Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- http://tribune.com.pk/story/421848/recognising-excellence-manto-among-192-recipients-of-top-civil-awards/, Civil Awards for 2012 announced, The Tribune Express newspaper, Published 14 Aug 2012, Retrieved 28 May 2016
- Mehriban Aliyeva: Hilal-e-Pakistan recipient serving humanity
- "Sitara-i-Imtiaz conferred on Saudi journalist". AsiaMedia. 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "President confers Sitara i Pakistan on former Chinese envoy". Associated Press Of Pakistan. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- LTD, Lankacom PVT. "The Island". Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- http://www.dawn.com/news/599044/aslam-azhar-a-hard-but-happy-life, Aslam Azhar's 'Tamgha-e-Pakistan' Award info on Dawn newspaper, Published 15 Jan 2011, Retrieved 6 June 2016