Phantasy Star Online 2
|Phantasy Star Online 2|
|Series||Phantasy Star Online|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch|
|Release||Phantasy Star Online 2:
|Genre(s)||Action role-playing, MMORPG, third-person shooter|
Phantasy Star Online 2 (ファンタシースターオンライン２ Fantashī Sutā Onrain Tsū) is a video game in the Phantasy Star series published by Sega. It is a successor to Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe, featuring similar gameplay. The main version was released for Microsoft Windows in July 2012.
A PlayStation Vita version was released in February 2013, while a PlayStation 4 version was released in April 2016. A spin-off game, Phantasy Star Online 2es, was released for Android and iOS in 2014. Any version of the game is currently only commercially available in Japan, though an unofficial English-language patch is available for use with the Japanese PC version.
Upon starting the game, the player can select one of several servers, known as "ships," to play. Players create and customize their characters to be used in the game. The name, gender, race, character class, body and facial features are available for customization during the character creation process, and later, the player can acquire a number of accessories and aesthetic goods to further customize their characters. There are various races available to the players in the game, which include Human, Newman (bio-engineered humanoid elves), CAST (manmade androids), and Deuman (species that contains recessive Darker genes in them). Players also pick a starting class: in addition to the core classes Hunter, Ranger, and Force, the hybrid classes Braver and Bouncer, introduced in Episode 2 and 3 respectively, are also available. Furthermore, as of Episode 3, the advanced classes Fighter, Gunner and Techer are also playable immediately. Classes in Phantasy Star Online 2 are interchangeable; every character has access to all classes, although they all level individually, and can switch between them freely at any time from the lobby. When players are finished creating their avatar, they begin playing in the tutorial and the story's prologue stage.
The user interface and controls are similar between the PC and the PS Vita. By default, players can play the PC version using a mouse and a keyboard, but may also play the game using an Xbox 360 Controller, which the game supports natively. The player's Character ID, Health (HP) and Photon Points (PP) are displayed at the bottom left corner of the screen. At the bottom of the screen, the sub-palette may contain consumable items, class active skills, Techniques and Photon Blast skills. The mini-map is located at the top-right corner of the screen. When a target is acquired, the top-left corner of the screen displays the information and status of the target.
The chat log displays messages left by players and NPCs, as well as system messages. Chat commands can customize text in many ways, such as changing the colors of the text or using special speech bubbles and animations. The player can also create and display Symbol Arts, images made within the game out of various symbolic objects. Autowords can also be created for a character to react to certain events in battle automatically, such as dying or successfully completing a mission.
Gameplay in Phantasy Star Online 2 is action-oriented, and features a diverse selection of weapon types and playstyles for the player to choose from.
A form of energy known in the game as Photons plays an important role in the game's battle system. During battle, the player can combine his normal attacks with Photon Arts (PA), special attacks using photon converted into energy, to perform a variety of attack combos. Additionally, the Force, Techer, Bouncer, and Summoner classes can use Techniques, photon converted into magic-like spells in both offensive and support forms. Players can guard with certain weapon types to reduce damage taken at the cost of some PP, or "Just Guard" with accurate timing to perform a counterattack at no cost.
In some areas of the game, Photons can be generated by defeating enemies to fill up the Photon level in the environment. In return, Photon-sensitive effects (PSE) can provide bonuses to the players in that area. When one of these effects reaches the maximum level of 8, an event known as PSE Burst can occur where many enemies will rapidly spawn for a limited time. This can be further extended by causing a different PSE Burst to form a Cross Burst.
Upon reaching a certain level, each player will be granted a Mag, a small droid that hovers around the owner. Mags can be fed a variety of items in order to strengthen and eventually evolve them. In addition to enhancing the player's stats, a mag will support the player with abilities such as healing or buffing under certain circumstances. Mags also enable the Photon Blast ability, in which the player and mag summon a Photon-based avatar for a brief time to attack enemies or support party members, depending on the type of mag. Photon Blasts can only be used after defeating a certain amount of enemies and generating enough Photon energy to fill up its gauge.
According to Sega COO Naoya Tsurumi, Phantasy Star Online 2 took over five years to develop. Sega "pulled out all the stops" believing the game to be a crucial entry point into the growing free-to-play market on multiple devices. A cross-platform strategy involving PC, handhelds, and smartphones was made possible by the sharing of cloud data. Moreover, Tsurumi stated that the game would serve as a model for other intellectual properties as part of Sega's broader strategy "to further develop the whole of Asia as a single market."
On February 5, 2011, at the Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity Nationwide Fan Thanks Festival 2011 in Japan, Sega announced that the alpha test for Phantasy Star Online 2 would begin in the summer. They stated, "Entry into the test will not be open; instead, all participants will be selected by lottery. And your first chance at putting your name into the drawing will be by purchasing Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity." On February 7, Sega listed on the PSO2 website alternate ways for users to enter into the lottery. On March 9, 2012, Sony announced that Phantasy Star Online 2 would also be released on the PS Vita. Later that month on March 26, it was announced that the game would also appear on iOS and Android.
Open beta began on June 21, 2012 as free-to-play. Open beta ended on July 2, 2012, in preparation for release on July 4, 2012. Characters created by players during open beta were carried over to the live servers.
EPISODE2 of Phantasy Star Online 2 launched on July 17, 2013, which introduced the new Dewman race and the Braver class. EPISODE3 launched on August 27, 2014, which introduced the new Bouncer class and Casino, new skills for every class, new items, a new planet, and new quests. Reborn:EPISODE4 was released on January 27, 2016, and the main theme was revealed to be 'new experience'. It introduced even more advanced customization features, a new planet (Earth), and the brand-new Summoner class.
The game was launched in Japan on July 3, 2012. The game was free to download and free-to-play, with an optional real money to in-game currency feature known as the "Arks Cash" system. Sega also has released a retail version of the game on September 13, 2012 along with an installation disc bundled with extra bonuses and in-game items.
Southeast Asia release
Asiasoft, an MMORPG publisher released Phantasy Star Online 2 in Southeast Asia. The game was fully translated to English with huge changes to its menu, items and classes name. This is mainly to make the game much easier to understand for new comers of the series. They also released a Thai language version of the game for Thailand players only. The closed beta for it began on April 10, 2014, with the official launch on May 29, 2014. Asiasoft announced they would also distribute Episode 2, which was released on March 5, 2015.
However On April 5, 2017, Asiasoft announced they would end servicing Phantasy Star Online 2 to Southeast Asia countries on May 26, 2017.
There's also a Chinese version released in Taiwan, which also lasted 3 years before the server closed in early 2017.
On July 9, 2012 Sega announced plans of releasing the game to the west as early as 2013 and English players were given a teaser of an English version of the game during the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington on August 31, 2012. However, the game has been delayed until further notice.
|Phantasy Star Online 2|
|Anime television series|
|Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation|
|Directed by||Keiichiro Kawaguchi|
|Produced by||Hideki Uchino, Mei Yoshikawa, Yasuhiro Yamaguchi|
|Written by||Mitsutaka Hirota|
|Music by||Takashi Ohmama|
|Studio||Telecom Animation Film|
|Original network||TBS, CBC, MBS, BS-TBS|
|Original run||January 7, 2016 – March 31, 2016|
An anime adaptation based on the game aired on TBS in 2016. The adaptation was directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi at studio Telecom Animation Film, with scripts written by Mitsutaka Hirota and music written by Takashi Ohmama.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"The RPG That Begins with "Nice to Meet You""
"`Hajimemashite' kara hajimaru RPG" (「はじめまして」から始まるRPG)
|January 7, 2016|
|2||"The Aloof Warrior"
"Kokō no senshi" (孤高の戦士)
|January 14, 2016|
|January 21, 2016|
|4||"Phantasy Star Offline"
|January 28, 2016|
|February 4, 2016|
"Kinji rareta PSO 2" (禁じられたPSO2)
|February 18, 2016|
|February 25, 2016|
|March 3, 2016|
|March 10, 2016|
|March 17, 2016|
|11||"The Dark Falz"
|March 24, 2016|
|12||"The RPG That Crosses Boundaries"
"Kyōkai o koeru RPG" (境界を超えるRPG)
|March 31, 2016|
Registered users for the game exceeded 2.5 million in March 2013. By August 2015, the game had over 3.5 million registered users. As of September 2016, the game has over 4.5 million users.
Sega released Phantasy Star Nova in 2014. The game shares similar elements to Phantasy Star Online 2 and is also part of the Online series. However, unlike Phantasy Star Online 2, Photon is not present in the game.
The Phantasy Star Online 2 Side Story will begin novelisation on June 15, 2014.
- "Annual Report 2015" (PDF). Sega Sammy Holdings. April 2015. p. 31. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- Ryna (July 2, 2012). "Phantasy Star Online 2 to Officially Launch in Japan on July 4th". Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Evangelho, Jason (March 9, 2012). "'Phantasy Star Online 2' hits Vita in 2013, supports cross-platform play". VideoGameWriters. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "'PSO2 PS4 is carried out in April 20, 2016!". August 16, 2015. Retrieved August 16, 2015.
- https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id847216485 Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Phantasy Star Online 2". DotMMO. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Fletcher, JC (September 15, 2010). "Phantasy Star Online 2 spotted on Sega TGS video stream". Joystiq. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Phantasy Star Online 2 Es Open Beta Is On Android Now". Siliconera.
- "PSO2es Now Available on Google Play!". 2p.com.
- "Guide PSO2 Registration Guide - PSO-World.com Forums". pso-world.com.
- "PSO2 Race". Phantasy Star Online 2 (in Japanese). Sega. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "PSO2 Class". Phantasy Star Online 2 (in Japanese). Sega. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Annual Report 2013" (PDF). Sega Sammy Holdings. 2013. pp. 18–19.
- EspioKaos (February 5, 2011). "Phantasy Star Online 2 Alpha Test This Summer! - PSO-World.com". Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Lada, Jenni. "Phantasy Star Online 2 will appear on iOS and Android". Technologytell. www.technologytell.com. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- 2013-07-21, Phantasy Star Online 2 launches Episode 2, adds new race and class, Joystiq
- "Phantasy Star Online 2’s Episode 3 Major Update Launches This August". Siliconera.
- 2014-04-01, Phantasy Star Online 2 Closed Beta Coming Next Week From Asiasoft, Siliconera
- PlayParkSEA. "Phantasy Star Online 2 is recruiting ARKS member!- PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2". playpark.com.
- PlayParkSEA. "Phantasy Star Online 2 Announces Service Closure - PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2". playpark.com.
- "Phantasy Star Online 2 Game Gets TV Anime on January 2016". Anime News Network. July 12, 2015. Retrieved July 12, 2015.
- "Sentai Filmworks Adds Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation". Anime News Network. December 29, 2015.
- Purchese, Robert (10 May 2013). "Aliens: Colonial Marines managed 1.31 million sales". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Phantasy Star Online 2 Heads to PS4 in 2016". Anime News Network. 16 August 2015. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- WebMoney. "WebMoney Award 2012". www.webmoney.jp.
- "Phantasy Star Nova Borrows Elements from Phantasy Star Online". Siliconera. Sato. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "PSO2 Novelisation's First Appearance". Twitter (in Japanese). Sega_pso2. Retrieved 3 June 2014.