Lowe in 2018
8 April 1962 |
|Alma mater||Sevenoaks School
Sidney Sussex College
University of Cambridge
|Occupation||Formula One Chief Technical Officer|
Paddy Lowe FREng (born 8 April 1962 in Nairobi, Kenya) is a British motor racing engineer, who is currently the Chief Technical Officer at Williams Martini Racing. He was previously Executive Director (Technical) of the Mercedes Formula One team.
Formula One career
In 1987 Lowe was employed by Williams as Joint Head of Electronics. He spent six years at Williams, during which time he oversaw the development of active suspension, used to help Nigel Mansell win the 1992 World Championship.
Lowe moved to McLaren in 1993, when he was employed as Head of Research and Development, a department subsequently renamed Vehicle Technology. He was head of the department for eight years until 2001, when he was appointed Chief Engineer Systems Development, a role focusing on the race programme for the McLaren MP4-20. In May 2005 he assumed the role of Engineering Director, which gave him responsibility for all the engineering departments. In January 2011 Lowe became the team's Technical Director. He left McLaren in 2013.
In 2015 Lowe was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering. Along with his elder brother Professor Michael Lowe they are the first brothers to be elected Fellows of the Academy.
On 10 January 2017, Mercedes announced that Lowe had left the team, and entered a period of gardening leave.
Lowe returned to Williams as Chief Technical Officer on 16 March 2017. He replaced Pat Symonds, who left the team at the end of 2016. Alongside his technical position, Lowe will become a shareholder in the team.
Formula One World Championships
- 1992: Nigel Mansell, Williams FW14B
- 1998: Mika Häkkinen, McLaren MP4/13
- 1999: Mika Häkkinen
- 2008: Lewis Hamilton
- 2014: Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes F1 W05 Hybrid
- 2015: Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes F1 W06 Hybrid
- 2016: Nico Rosberg, Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Lowe is married to Anna Danshina, screen actress and former President of the Oxford University Russian Club. He has two children from a previous relationship: Noah and Finty, whose photograph with Nico Rosberg (which was "photobombed" by Lewis Hamilton) went viral in 2014.
- Kenward, Michael (March 2018). "A formula for success". Ingenia (74): 37–42. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Mercedes AMG F1 - Team Management". mercedesamgf1.com. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "New McLaren technical team looks back". GrandPrix.com. 27 January 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Team McLaren-Technical Team". mclaren.com. Archived from the original on 25 January 2008. Retrieved 15 February 2008.
- "Lowe becomes McLaren's tech director". autosport.com. 27 January 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Paddy Lowe to join Mercedes early". grandprix.com. 20 May 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "'Brawn not threatened by Lowe's arrival'". PlanetF1.com. 29 June 2013. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Paddy Lowe to leave Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport". mercedesamgf1.com. 10 January 2017. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Ex-Mercedes F1 chief Paddy Lowe starts work at Williams". 2 May 2017.
- "Oxford university Russian Club".
- "Paddy Lowe on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
|This Formula One biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|