Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
|This article is outdated. (October 2015)|
|Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana|
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana marker in a village in Punjab
|Prime Minister||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Launched||25 December 2000|
This Centrally Sponsored Scheme was introduced in 2000 by the then Prime Minister Of India Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Shri Prabhjot Singh . The Assam Tribune has reported that the scheme has started to change the lifestyle of many villagers as it has resulted in new roads and upgrade of certain inter-village routes in Manipur.
The goal was to provide roads to all villages
- with a population of 1000 persons and above by 2003
- with a population of 500 persons and above by 2007
- in hill states, tribal and desert area villages with a population of 500 persons and above by 2003
- in hill states, tribal and desert area villages with a population of 250 persons and above by 2007.
In order to implement this, an Online Management & Monitoring System or OMMS GIS system was developed to identify targets and monitor progress. It is developed by e-governance department of C-DAC pune and is one of the biggest databases in India. The system manages and monitors all the phases of road development right from its proposal mode to road completion. The OMMS also has separate module to track the expenses made on each road. Based on the data entered by state and district officers, OMMS generates detailed reports which are viewable in citizens section (omms.nic.in). OMMS incorporates advanced features like E-payment, Password protected PDF files, Interactive Reports etc.
The PMGSY is managed by the National Rural Roads Development Agency (NRRDA) , headed by a Director-General. The following have been Directors-General of the NRRDA:
- DR J. Sridhar Sharma (2000-2002)
- Subrahmanyam Vijay Kumar (2002–05)
- J. K Mohapatra (2005–09)
- Dr P.K. Anand (2009- )
- "PMGSY Scheme Operations Manual Chapter 1". Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India.
- "Report of the committee on restructuring of Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS)". Planning Commission, Government of India.
- Arvind Panagariya. "A leader of substance: Along with Narasimha Rao, Atal Bihari Vajpayee laid the foundation of new India". The Times of India, Dec 25, 2012, 12.00AM IST.
- "PMGSY roads changing lifestyle in Manipur". The Assam Tribune.
- "PMGSY Scheme and Guidelines: Introduction" Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India, No. P-12025/8/2001-RC (Pt)
- "PMGSY Scheme and Guidelines: Programme Objectives". Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India, No. P-12025/8/2001-RC.
- CRISP Group, National Informatics Centre (2004) "Rural Informatics in India – An Approach Paper" from Web Archives
- Maharashtra government plans launch of Mukhya Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, The Economic Times, 15 October 2015
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana website
- Sen, Sumit et al. (2006) "Schema Matching as a step towards Interoperability: Experiments in the Indian NSDI" Beyond Spatial Data Infrastructures International Workshop at the GIScience 2006, 20 September 2006 in Münster, Germany