Samsung C&T Corporation
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2015)|
|Traded as||KRX: 028260|
|Headquarters||Samsung Town, Seoul, South Korea|
|Chi Hun Choi, President & CEO
Shin Kim, President & CEO (Trading & Investment Group)
Ju Hwa Yoon, President & CEO (Fashion Group)
Bong Yung Kim , President & CEO (Resort & Construction Group)
|Services||Construction and Civil Engineering|
|Revenue||KRW 5.1 Trillion (2014)|
|Total assets||KRW 9.5 trillion (2014)|
Number of employees
Samsung C&T Corporation (C&T = Construction&Trading) (formerly Samsung Corporation) (Korean: 삼성물산), was founded in 1938 as a parent company of Samsung Group. In 1975, Samsung C&T was designated as the first general trading company by the Korean government to lead overseas sales operations. After the merger with Samsung Construction in December 1995, Samsung C&T has been engaging in global business with offices in around 50 countries.
Samsung Everland, established in 1963 with a mission for land development, has been leading the service industry in Korea by expanding its business scope to resort, food and beverage, and construction. In December 2013, Samsung Everland acquired Cheil Industries Fashion Group, a prominent industry player founded in 1954. It has changed its company name to Cheil Industries following the merger, and has focused on projects related to lifestyle design.
The merger of Samsung C&T and Cheil Industries in September 2015 combined their reputation as leaders in respective industries. The new Samsung C&T aims to become a global business partner and lifestyle innovator in fashion, food, housing, leisure and bio businesses with its Engineering & Construction, Trading & Investment, Fashion and Resort Groups. The merger has successfully established the third pillar of the Samsung Group besides electronics and financial services and has firmly established a platform for new growth engine.
Engineering & Construction Group
Samsung C&T Engineering & Construction Group has proven expertise in engineering, procurement, and construction.
- Engineering & Construction Group of Samsung C&T is best known for its state-of-the-art skyscrapers. Its track record features 828-meter Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the world’s tallest man-made structure, as well as the Petronas Towers in Malaysia.
- GIHEUNG SEMICONDUCTOR COMPLEX, KOREA (with cutting edge clean rooms and R&D labs)
- INCHEON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, KOREA (ranked one of the world’s best airports)
- CLEVELAND CLINIC ABU DHABI, UAE (one of the largest and the most advanced medical centers in the Middle East)
- RAEMIAN, KOREA (Korea's first residential apartment brand, voted top in Korea’s National Customer Satisfaction Index for 18 consecutive years)
- Civil projects by Samsung C&T’s Civil Infrastructure Business Unit include construction of infrastructures such as roads, bridges, tunnels, ports, subways, and dams.
- MERSEY GATEWAY, UNITED KINGDOM (A six-lane toll bridge over the River Mersey, Northwest England)
- RIYADH METRO, SAUDI ARABIA (public transport system with 85 stations and 178 km-long track)
- BUSAN NEW PORT, KOREA (Asia’s major cargo container hub with advanced cargo automation system)
- Samsung C&T’s Plant Business Unit is a world leader in fast, efficient design and construction of modern power plants--both conventional and nuclear. The Plant Business Unit is renowned for its skills in producing, transporting, and processing energy.
- THE UAE NUCLEAR POWER COMPLEX, UAE (the first overseas nuclear power plant project by a Korean company)
- SINGAPORE LNG TERMINAL, SINGAPORE (Singapore’s first LNG terminal)
- THE UAE EMAL POWER PLANT, UAE (the largest power plant in UAE with a capacity of 1,023 MW)
- Engineering & Construction Group of Samsung C&T participates in various volunteering activities to help communities recover from natural disasters, such as storms and floods. Samsung C&T Village Program focuses on developing and upgrading residential facilities in less developed rural areas.
The Group has also supported communities by building educational infrastructures. For example, it has established elementary education institute in Rambang, Indonesia and juvenile vocational training center in Ban Bueng, Thailand, as well as other specialized job training program around the world.
Samsung C&T's CSR efforts also include improving the health and well-being of people in communities they do business in. Its activities include repair and expansion of a children’s hospital in Mongolia, sponsorship for an orphanage in Malaysia, refurbishment and upgrade of an elementary school in Morocco, and construction of hydroponics facilities and providing training programs for farmers to improve their crop yield.
Trading & Investment Group
Samsung C&T’s Trading & Investment Group focuses on trading and project organizing: Trading of industrial commodities such as chemicals, steel and natural resources, and organizing projects such as power plant, renewable energy and infrastructure development.
- Samsung C&T’s global trading business includes trading of items in diverse fields, namely chemicals and industrial materials such as fertilizer, mining chemicals, methanol and electronic materials, steel products such as hot rolled steel, plate and automotive steel, living industrial materials such as textile and wood pellet, and natural resources such as coal and copper. Samsung C&T also operates a palm plantation with a high growth potential to serve as the basis for Samsung C&T’s gradual entry into food trading business.
- In organizing business, Trading & Investment Group strives to create an impressive success story in thermal power plant project as the company continues to expand the share of power plant business in its portfolio. Furthermore, successful execution of wind and solar power business in Ontario, Canada will solidify its presence in the promising renewable energy sector in the years to come.
- SAMSUNG RENEWABLE ENERGY Wind/Solar Power Cluster with capacity of 1,369MW (1,069 MW wind power / 300MW solar power)
- BTPP (Balkhash Thermal Power Plant with capacity of 1,320 MW)
- TERMINAL KMS (LNG processing volume: 3.75M tons / year)
- KST ELECTRIC POWER COMPANY (Gas turbine combined cycle power plant project 433 MW)
Fashion Group (formerly Cheil Industries founded in 1954) has played a great role in developing fashion and textile industry in South Korea. In the early years, Fashion Group mainly focused on menswear and casual wear with its key clothing brands such as GALAXY and BEANPOLE.
Building on its accumulated experience and expertise in fashion industry, Fashion Group diversified BEANPOLE into different lines: children’s clothing, outdoor clothing and accessories. It has also launched new brands in womenswear (KUHO/LeBeige) and in fast fashion (8seconds). Through its expansion of business portfolio, Fashion Group has developed into a leading fashion company in South Korea.
Fashion Group is also committed to the development of Korean fashion industry through R&D investment, sponsorship, and fund-raising events. It operates Samsung Fashion Institute and Samsung Design Net (www.samsungdesign.net), which is a channel to the latest industry news, trend insights, market reports and research database. Moreover, in order to support aspiring designers, Fashion Group runs Samsung Fashion Design Fund (SFDF) and select award-winning designers annually.
Furthermore, the Group has been accelerating its entry into the global market, starting with the promotion of a world-renowned brand, Juun.J, which has presented menswear collection at Paris Fashion Week since 2007
- Brand List
- PAL ZILERI
- ROGATIS COLLECTION
- ROGATIS GREEN
- BEANPOLE MEN
- BEANPOLE LADIES
- BEANPOLE KIDS
- BEANPOLE GOLF
- BEANPOLE OUTDOOR
- 8 SECONDS
- BEANPOLE ACCESSORY
- 10 CORSO COMO SEOUL
- ANN DEMEULEMEESTER
- COMME DES GARCONS
- GIUSEPPE ZANOTTI
- ISSEY MIYAKE
- RICK OWENS
- THOM BROWNE
- TORY BURCH
Resort & Construction Group
Since its foundation in 1963 with the mission of land development, Resort & Construction Group has expanded its business scope to resort, golf, food and beverage, energy and landscaping and construction.
The Group’s Everland Resort and high-end golf course boast world-class facilities and services. They have earned the highest scores in the Korean Customer Satisfaction Index (KCSI) survey for 21 consecutive years. Based on expertise and know-how accumulated over the past fifty years, the Resort Group’s value chain extends from construction and energy to landscaping projects. Samsung Welstory, which has grown to become the largest catering service company in Korea since the service began in 1982, has operated as a separate entity since 2013.
- Resort & Golf
- - EVERLAND
Everland is the global theme park of Everland Resort with various festivals, attractions, zoos and gardens.
- - CARIBBEAN BAY
Caribbean Bay, the water park of Everland Resort, is not only the first of its kind in Korea but also the world’s largest which is connected both indoors and outdoors.
- - GOLF CLUB
Samsung C&T operates five prestigious golf clubs; Anyang Country Club, Gapyeong Benest, Ansung Benest, Dongrae Benest, and Glen Ross (public).
- - CONSTRUCTION
Samsung C&T provides customers with the best structures and architecture with foresight and technical expertise.
- - PLANT
As the first company in Korea specializing in energy conservation, Samsung C&T provides total engineering solution from energy diagnosis to construction.
- - LANDSCAPING
With years of experience and expertise, Samsung C&T creates elegant environment-friendly spaces in areas that include theme parks, exhibition facilities, residential complexes, golf courses, parks, offices, and industrial and commercial complex.
2015 Everland, number one in Korean Customer Satisfaction Index (by Korean Management Association Consulting) for 21 consecutive years
2015 Merger of Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T Corporation
2014 Changed CI of Samsung Everland to Cheil Industries
2013 Cheil Industries fashion business transferred to Samsung Everland
2013 Won Saudi Rabigh 2 IPP Project in Saudi Arabia
2013 Won Roy Hill Project in Australia
2012 BEANPOLE, sponsor of Korean national team’s uniform in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, selected as the best uniform by TIME Magazine
2012 Launched fast fashion (SPA) brand 8seconds
2011 Won UAE Combined Thermal Power Plant Project
2010 Won Ontario renewable energy project in Canada
2009 Completed construction of Incheon Bridge, the world's fifth longest bridge
2008 Acquired palm plantation in Indonesia
2008 Completed construction of Burj Khalifa, the world’s highest building
2005 Established Samsung Fashion Design Fund
2000 Launched the first domestic apartment brand Raemian
1996 Opened water theme park, Caribbean Bay
1996 Changed Brand Identity of Farm Land Amusement Park to Everland
1995 Merger of Samsung Corporation and Samsung Construction
1994 Received Ten Billion Dollar Export Tower Award on the 31st Trade Day of Korea
1992 Designated as the first Energy Service Company (ESCO) in Korea
1989 Launched traditional casual brand BEANPOLE
1983 Launched men’s clothing brand GALAXY
1977 Established Samsung Construction Inc.
1977 Launched fashion brand business with women’s clothing brand La Beaute
1976 Opened Farm Land Amusement Park (Currently Everland)
1975 Designated as Korea’s first General Trading Company
1968 Opened Anyang Country Club
1963 Established Donghwa Real Estate(Currently Resort & Construction Group of Samsung C&T)
1954 Established Cheil Industries
1953 Opened Tokyo office as the first overseas branch
1951 Established Samsung Co. Ltd.
1938 Founded Samsung Sanghoe (Daegu)
- Samsung Group
- Samsung Engineering
- Samsung Electronics
- Samsung Life Insurance
- Samsung Heavy Industries
- Samsung SDS
- Samsung C&T Corporation - Official Website
- Engineering & Construction Group - Official Website
- Trading & Investment Group - Official Website
- Fashion Group - Official Website
- Resort & Construction Group - Official Website
- Samsung C&T, E&C Americas - Official Website
- Raemian (Korean)