San Bernardo, Chile
|City and Commune|
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Nora Cuevas Contreras (UDI)|
|• Total||155.1 km2 (59.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||570 m (1,870 ft)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||1,600/km2 (4,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Website||Municipality of San Bernardo|
San Bernardo (Spanish pronunciation: [sam berˈnarðo]) is a city of Chile, part of the Greater Santiago conurbation. Administratively, it is a commune and the capital of the Maipo Province in the Santiago Metropolitan Region. It is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Bernardo.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, San Bernardo spans an area of 155.1 km2 (60 sq mi) and has 246,762 inhabitants (121,535 men and 125,227 women). Of these, 241,138 (97.7%) lived in urban areas and 5,624 (2.3%) in rural areas. The population grew by 29.3% (55,905 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
- Population: 286,228 (2006 projection)
- Average annual household income: US$16,035 (PPP, 2009)[dead link]
- Population below poverty line: 20.9% (2006)
As a commune, San Bernardo is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Nora Cuevas Contreras (UDI). The council has the following members:
- Amparo García Saldias (UDI)
- Christopher White Bahamondes (PS)
- Leonel Cadiz Soto (PS)
- Luis Navarro Ormeño (PRSD)
- Orfelina Bustos Carmona (PDC)
- Raimundo Camus Varas (UDI)
- Ricardo Rencoret Klein (UDI)
- Sebastián Tapia Macaya (PDC)
- Sebastián Orrego Cisternas (RN)
- Soledad Perez Peña (IND)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, San Bernardo is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Ramón Farías (PPD) and Mr. José Antonio Kast (UDI) as part of the 30th electoral district, (together with Buin, Paine and Calera de Tango). The commune is represented in the Senate by Guido Girardi Lavín (PPD) and Jovino Novoa Vásquez (UDI) as part of the 7th senatorial constituency (Santiago-West).
- "Municipality of San Bernardo" (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- Sistema de Información Regional, Ministry of Planning of Chile.[dead link]
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "Gobierno de Chile: Intendentes" (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- (Spanish) Municipality of San Bernardo