San Joaquin Valley College
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
San Joaquin Valley College (SJVC) is a private for-profit junior college with fifteen campuses in California, United States and an online division. SJVC was founded in 1977 by Robert and Shirley Perry. SJVC is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges and approved by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE). The college offers certificates, Associate of Science degrees, and continuing education opportunities in the areas of Health, Business, and Technology.
SJVC is owned by San Joaquin Valley College, Inc. (SJVCi), which was incorporated on May 14, 1979. In December 2018, SJVCi acquired Carrington College. SJVCi acquired Santa Barbara Business College on January 1, 2019. SJVCi also owns Ember Education, a shared services division, that provides administrative support to the institutions owned and operated by SJVCi. The CEO of SJVCi is Michael D. Perry.
San Joaquin Valley College was founded in April 1977 by Robert and Shirley Perry in response to a growing need for professional instruction of Medical Assistants. The first class consisted of three students who were excited to pursue a career in Medical Assisting. The class was taught in Visalia, California by Shirley Perry, who was one of the first Certified Medical Assistants in the State of California and a leader of professional development at the time. In 1987, the Visalia campus moved to its current site as a result of several expansions. The new site was built to house the campus and the growing corporate offices, which in 2003 would move to a separate Visalia location.
Mark and Michael Perry, Robert and Shirley's sons, assumed ownership of SJVCi in 1995. Under them, SJVC has continued to expand and achieved regional accreditation through ACCJC-WASC.
Southern expansion began with a campus in Rancho Cucamonga that relocated to Ontario in 2013. Most notably, this campus marked the first expansion of the College out of the central and southern San Joaquin Valley.
In 2004, SJVC opened the Hanford extension of the Visalia campus as well as the Online division, enabling SJVC to offer career training programs throughout the United States. In the same year, it opened its Modesto campus, which moved to Salida in 2008.
In 2005, the Rancho Cordova campus opened, marking SJVC’s northernmost location. The Hesperia campus opened in July 2009. The Temecula campus opened in 2011 and the Lancaster campus opened in 2012. Most recently, SJVC opened its Atascadero campus in 2018.
Other campuses include Bakersfield, Delano, Madera, Fresno, Fresno-Aviation and Porterville.
SJVC offers career training courses in business, medical and technical subjects.
SJVC received full accreditation by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) for the first time in 1995. SJVC is approved to operate as an accredited institution by the California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education. Approval to operate means that SJVC has been found in compliance with the standards set forth in the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 (California Education Code, Title 3, Division 10, Part 59, Chapter 8) and Title 5, Division 7.5 - Private Postsecondary Education of the California Code of Regulations).
SJVC also has several programmatic accreditations and approvals by governing agencies and authoritative associations in the subject area.
- Aviation Maintenance & Technology Program: Approved by the Federal Aviation Administration and is approved by the State of California Approving Agency to enroll veterans and other eligible persons.
- Registered Nursing Program: Approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
- Licensed Vocational Nursing Program: Approved by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT).
- Surgical Technology Program: The Surgical Technology program on the Bakersfield and Fresno campuses is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) Opens a New Window. in cooperation with the Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC-STSA) Opens a New Window. . The Surgical Technology program on SJVC’s Rancho Cordova and Temecula campuses is new and not yet accredited. The campuses are in the process of seeking accreditation.
- Respiratory Therapy Program: Granted continuing accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Dental Hygiene Program: Accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of “approval without reporting requirements.” The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- Dental Assisting Program: Approved by the Department of Consumer Affairs, Dental Board of California.
- Criminal Justice: Corrections Program: Certified to provide instruction by the Board of State and Community Corrections (BSCC)/Standards & Training for Corrections (STC) and the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS).
SJVC's main campus is in Visalia. Branch campuses are located in Hesperia, Fresno, Madera, Delano, Atascadero, Porterville, Bakersfield, Modesto, Rancho Cordova, Lancaster, Temecula and Ontario, as well as an extension of the Visalia campus in Hanford, an Aviation campus in Fresno at the Fresno Yosemite International Airport, and an Online division. Each campus offers different career programs and houses administrative staff. Programmatic offerings, opening and start dates listed below are subject to change.
The SJVC Visalia campus opened in 1977. SJVC Visalia offers career training programs in business, medical, and technical fields including Corrections, Business Administration, Dental Hygiene, Registered Nursing and HVAC.
In 2004, SJVC opened a campus in Hanford as an extension of the Visalia campus. SJVC Hanford offers business, technical and medical degree completion programs. SJVC Hanford offers certificate and associate degree programs in Corrections, Medical Office and Clinical Medical Assisting.
The SJVC Bakersfield campus opened in 1981. SJVC Bakersfield offers career training programs in the business, medical, and technical fields, making it the second-largest campus in terms of program offerings. SJVC Bakersfield’s certificate and degree programs include Corrections, Emergency Services & Safety Management, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Surgical Technologist, and HVAC. The Bakersfield campus also houses several programs that are only offered at one other campus.
SJVC Fresno opened in 1985 and offers business, medical and technical career training in 11 subject areas. Career education courses available at SJVC Fresno include Corrections, Medical Office, Pharmacy Technology, and HVAC. SJVC Fresno is the only campus to offer Veterinary Technology. Aviation campus is attached to Fresno-Yosemite International Airport and opened in 1991. The only career training available at this campus is for Aviation Maintenance Technology.
In 2001, SJVC opened a campus in Rancho Cucamonga which is the southernmost campus in the San Joaquin Valley College network. In 2013, this campus relocated to Ontario. SJVC Ontario offers business, technical and medical certificate and degree programs in 9 subject areas. Career training is available in Business Administration, Medical Office, Pharmacy Technology, Dental Hygiene, and Industrial Technology. SJVC Rancho Cucamonga is the only physical campus to offer career training in Construction Management.
The SJVC Modesto campus opened in 2004 and offers business, medical and technical career training in 11 fields. Career education courses are available in Business Administration, Medical Office, Clinical Medical Assisting and Industrial Technology.
SJVC Rancho Cordova opened in 2005 and offers career training for the medical field with Respiratory Therapy and Medical Assisting programs. The Rancho Cordova campus is the northernmost point in the San Joaquin Valley College Network.
In 2004, SJVC began offering career training online. The online division provides degree completion in business, technical and medical studies. Career training courses are available in Medical Office, Business Administration,Clinical Medical Assisting, Construction Management, Human Resources Administration and Information Technology.
The SJVC Hesperia campus opened in 2009 and offers career training in the business, medical. and technical fields. Career education courses are available in Medical Office, Corrections, Pharmacy Technology, Clinical Medical Assisting, and Industrial Technology.
SJVC Temecula opened in 2011 and offers career training for the business, medical, and technical fields. Programs include Business Administration, Medical Office, Clinical and Administrative Medical Assisting, Pharmacy Technology, and Respiratory Therapy.
The SJVC Lancaster campus opened in the fall of 2012. SJVC Lancaster offers career training programs for the business, medical, and technical fields. Certificate and Degree programs include Pharmacy Technology, Clinical Medical Assisting, Corrections, and Industrial Technology.
SJVC San Diego opened in 2012. The campus offers an Associate of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene.
SJVC Madera opened in 2014 and is enrolling students for Medical Assisting, Medical Office and Business Administration.
SJVC Delano opened in July 2015 and is enrolling students for Medical Assisting, Medical Office and Business Administration.
SJVC Porterville opened in March 2016 and is enrolling students for Medical Assisting, Medical Office and Business Administration.
- "Career Training Programs in Hanford, CA at SJVC". Accredited California College | San Joaquin Valley College | SJVC. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College". Business Wire. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "San Joaquin Valley College (SJVC) / ACCJC". Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges. The Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges. Retrieved 2020-08-04.
- "Welcome Madera!". Accredited California College | San Joaquin Valley College | SJVC. 2014-07-10. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "SJVC Now Enrolling in Delano!". Accredited California College | San Joaquin Valley College | SJVC. 2015-07-09. Retrieved 2017-08-29.
- "SJVC Opens Porterville Campus". Accredited California College | San Joaquin Valley College | SJVC. 2017-03-06. Retrieved 2017-08-29.